VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello--
    I was wondering if somebody could explain to me why S-Video output is better than RCA (video) output. I have a hard time seeing a real difference between the two, and RCA plugs works better/easier for me. Is there any real difference, or is it minimal enough to keep with the RCA? thanks!

-Ryan
    Quote Quote  
  2. I will say this (others will disagree) but I just returned TODAY, A set of component cables and ended up exchanging them for a good set of RCA (Red/White/Yellow)

I did notice a nice difference with the set of good RCA vs. what comes in the box w/ the DVD players. I have tried all the options:

1. RCA - supposedly good
    2. S-Video - supposedly better
    3. Component (Red/Blue/Green) - supposedly best

Well, I like a good set of RCA cables the best.....
    Quote Quote  
  3. http://www.projectorcentral.com/component.htm read all of it.
    Here is an interesting comment.

"The second connection option (the better option) is that you can use the clumsy 4-pin S-video jacks. This often requires a trip to the electronics store to get a more expensive cable. Most people don't want to bother. So they use the yellow RCA jacks because they are labeled VIDEO, and because that's the cable that came with the DVD player. Once they hook it up and turn it on, they find that the picture looks better than their VCR. So they are happy and forget about S-video. This is of course the wrong thing to do.

Why? Because by using the yellow RCA video jacks, you are forcing your DVD player to down-convert all that great component video information on the DVD to lowly composite video in order to transmit it to your television or projector. You lose much of the picture quality that the DVD can deliver by doing this. OK, it looks better than your VCR. But you aren't getting the best picture you can get."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    S-Video supports upto 500 lines of resolution, composite supports less than 400, 330 I believe but could be wrong.

You of course need a TV that can decode 500 lines of resolution. Most of last years mid level sets decode around 450-480 lines. If you picked up an RCA on sale at the local Walmart, you most likely won't see a difference between S-Video and composite.

A good RCA cable is better than a stock (crappy) S-Video cable. Downside to S-Video is than it can amplify any noise in the video, while Composite, with less resolution, may seem to mask it.
    Quote Quote