VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,

I know this subject has proberbly been discussed many times before but I never seem to convert very well.

I've tried using besweet & ac3 machine, but both lower the volume of the converted file.

Is it better to convert to wave then 2 or 6 channel, correct the size using Goldwave then convert back to ac3 using ffmpeggui?

What conversion would give you the best audio for dvd?

Please help, thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I convert from PAL to NTSC, if the source is already AC3, I use Maestro's sync to time code feature. Haven't noticed any problems on films upto 100 mins.

If the audio is in a different format, I'll load the already converted video onto Vegas's time line, then either stretch or shorten the audio to match the length of the video, then export as AC3.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've converted a lot of AC3 encoded 23.xxx fps AVI to 29.97 NTSC compliance DVD.

I just extract the AC3 audio stream by Virtualdub and then BeSlice to correct the AC3 files. I pulldown the video stream but do nothing on the AC3 file. I never encounter sync problem in the final DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by asisoft
    I've converted a lot of AC3 encoded 23.xxx fps AVI to 29.97 NTSC compliance DVD.

I just extract the AC3 audio stream by Virtualdub and then BeSlice to correct the AC3 files. I pulldown the video stream but do nothing on the AC3 file. I never encounter sync problem in the final DVD.
    I agree that this works ok, but I find the video to playback slightly jerky. Even with these settings.

If DVD is PAL It plays smooth. DVD player is ntsc compatible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is this for a NTSC to PAL conversion?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rhegedus
    Is this for a NTSC to PAL conversion?
    Yes mate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might not have to - your set-top DVD player will be able to play NTSC VCDs or DVDs. Just encode to mpeg at the source frame rate and give it a go.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might not have to - your set-top DVD player will be able to play NTSC VCDs or DVDs. Just encode to mpeg at the source frame rate and give it a go.
    If you read above you can see that I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From my experience, if it plays jerky in its original form then it will be jerky in whtaver form you convert it to.

But to answer your question, the most successful method that has worked for me is using Goldwave to alter the audio file, save as wav and then use the wav as the audio source in TMPGEnc.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From my experience, if it plays jerky in its original form then it will be jerky in whtaver form you convert it to.

But to answer your question, the most successful method that has worked for me is using Goldwave to alter the audio file, save as wav and then use the wav as the audio source in TMPGEnc.
    Do you mean open the ac3 file with goldwave, timewarp to suit video & then save as wave?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do you open the file as in Goldwave? As Goldwave dont actually recognise ac3 files. Would you open as PCM?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use VirtualDub to extract a wav file from the source first.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thanks for your replies. I'll let ya know how I get on tonight.
    Quote Quote  
  15. BeSweet is the tool for this! I believe te GUI for it is great for this process. Yepprz.
    My AVI -> Any Format Guide is available here.
    My Frame Resize Calculator (enhanced for Virtualdub) is available here
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by funkguy4
    BeSweet is the tool for this! I believe te GUI for it is great for this process. Yepprz.
    Like I said above Besweet lowers the volume. Something to do with the ac3dll.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by thesicilian

Like I said above Besweet lowers the volume. Something to do with the ac3dll.
    Then use the boost volume optoin to compensate......
    My AVI -> Any Format Guide is available here.
    My Frame Resize Calculator (enhanced for Virtualdub) is available here
    Quote Quote  
  18. can someone please help.

i have an xvid ntsc film - 23,976fps 48khz with ac3 audio - i want to change this to a vcd pal 25fps 44.1khx- i have until now opened the file in virtualdub and saved the wav file( really an ac3 file) . then using avifrate i have changed the video to 25fps pal. Until now i have found no really good guide on besweet( yes i have tried doom 9) . In besweet i have opened the besweet.exe. Input my wav file( ac3) Output file as
    mp2 in the ota changed frame rate from 23,976 to 25,000 and checked the box downmix sampling rate to 44.1khz. In 2 lame changed the total bitrate to 224k ( pal). Then clicked on besweet wav to mp2 . i have tried goldwave - it does not recongnise the audio format !!! and when u play it - it sounds a tv station out of tune!
    is this the corrct way. ? or should i rename the wav file back to ac3? and then what must i do?

the other problem is with an mp2 file there is no way of
    checking that its in sync unless u first multiplex with tmpgenc
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why convert to PAL? If you want to watch the file on TV, just make a NTSC VCD/SVCD/DVD from the file you have.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  20. cos my standalone dvd player is pal region made
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then it will probably play NTSC disks (don't confuse PAL/NTSC with region coding ).
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  22. ill try it ok thx - ill keep u informed!!
    Quote Quote  
  23. ok rob - did a direct ntsc vcd film - everything was out of sync.

thats because the film was originally 48khz and when u decode to ntsc vcd film the audio is converted to 44.1khx 224kps

any suggestions? i did extract the audio in virtual dub - when u load the audio seperatly in tmpenc u cannot change the settings - it automatically goes to 44.1khz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Extract a wav from the avi using Goldwave and resample to 44.1. Use this new 44.1 wav as your audio source in TMPGEnc.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  25. rob - do u know if i resample to 44.1khz that is the same as what tmpgenc does. if the original is 48khx ( thats fast ) and reduce it 44.1khx then the audio is slower.

the audio must stay as the same as the original to remain in sync or not ? or am i stupid!!! lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Frequency is not speed - the file will still be the same duration. I think Goldwave resamples better than TMPGEnc.

Have a look at some of the convert guides for more info.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  27. rob - i seem to be going round in circles here. if u read the guides they all say if ur audio is out of sync - the prob is ur output rate or sampling rate - if the audio is ahead increase ur frame from 44100 to 44109( to speed the audio up) fo every second in 1 hour - if its too slow then decrease the frame rate !!! you are saying it makes no difference - if u start with 48000hz and reduce to 44.1 khx then the audio is slower and therefor out of sync - i tried gold wave ( resampling from 48 to 44.1 ) its still out of sync!!

what i dont understand !! is i have a perfect xvid ntsc 23.976fps 48khx with ac3 in sync - why is there no programme or guide that says if u have "this file" this is what u must do!! if u read the forums most people have 99% have probs with audio sync!! but nobody knows the real
    answer!!!

somebody made this file !! and made a film ( dvd, vcd.svcd etc ) from it !! what r we doing wrong!!!????
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Search the forum for conversion methods,ive posted about 1/2 a dozen times how to convert and change framerates with video and audio,its been explained many times.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  29. hi johns oh - ive u read what was before - i have an ntsc film 23,976 48khx - i said i want a pal 25fps video , 25fps audio 44.khz 224 kps - and rob told me - why convert it ur standalone dvd can play - just make an ntsc film vcd from what u have !! i did that its out of sync !!! if u look at the history of this forum - the audio out of sync only happens when tmpgenc does the audio encoding !! u start with 48khz and u finisgh with 44.,1 khz = thats the prob with audio sync!!

and another thing i have read so many guides from sefy to sat storm and they all contradicate each other!!!
    Quote Quote  
  30. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Resampling from 48khz to 44.1 done properly with goldwave or tmpgenc wont change the duration,its errors in the avi stream that cause audio delay,the only way to fix this problem is to change the length of the timeline with goldwave,either stretch or shrink it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote