VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. this has probably been asked many times before but, what do you think is the best processor and most stable motherboard for video editing???

all help would be appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM

I'm using MSI K7T Turbo (with KT133A chipset) and AMD Athlon 1 GHz prosessor. I also have Pinnacle DC10plus video card present with SB live 1024.

This compination works fine, now. I had a lot of problems though, but after hours of investigating on the internet I was able to solve the problems (my computer was on the repair shop several times and they couldn't fix it!).

The problem was the chipset drivers (VIA) and motherboard bios which had compatibility problems with Pinnacle and SB cards.

As said, now it works fine and I'm able to make great SVCD recordings with the video card editing program, TMPGEnc and Nero Burning Rom 5.5.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I suggest AMD processors with AMD760 chipset based motherboard (for example Chaintech as inexpensive board or Epox as a motherboard with build in Raid controller and overclocking possibilities).
    AMD 760 have a special Super Bypass technology. This technology reduce time needed for information sending inside the chipset.
    Theoretically this technology can help in field of encoding and capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. i honestly can say that a p4 1.7 w/ 256 rdram and a asus p4t
    are the best combo ive ever seen.
    i used to have a p3 800 and average encoding time for a 90 min divx, vcd , etc. took anywhere from 7-10 hrs.
    with my p4 setup it takes me 2 and a half hours!!!
    how can i complain about that.
    the only reason i purchased the above p4 combo is because
    the p4 1.7 finally makes use of rdram. and the p4 is superior to the amd in terms of most games and more importantly encoding!! since that is all i do, it is the obvious choice. if you use office apps, then a amd is the way to go. but i highly reccomend the p4- its really is fast for this stuff, and the most important components in encoding, seem to be processor and memory.
    think about it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks for the replies

i was looking at upgrading to an amd tbird 1.2 ghz with an asus motherboard, anyone have a combo like this??? how is it working for you???
    Quote Quote  
  6. Rise,

What did you have to do in the end to get your VIA Chipset and Motherboard to work with the Pinnacle and SB.

I have a VIA Chipset and SB card and am thinking of getting the DC10+ but have read many articles about this compatability issue here and on other forums including the Pinnacle Forum.

Thanks
    Jacques
    Quote Quote  
  7. I would have to agree with the consensus here... pick up an Athlon and AMD 760/761 motherboard combo. The P4 is a nice option if you want to spend a little extra, but depending on what you do and what software you use to do it, it CAN end up being slower, maybe by a lot.

The PIII, even one of the new Tualatin 1.13 GHz PIII (if you can even get your hands on one), are showing their age. The price is MUCH better on the P4's and AMD Athlon's.

The VIA-chipset motherboards aren't all that bad, but you do have to avoid certain hardware combinations and make sure to keep a couple versions of the BIOS and driver updates handy (sometimes the "latest and greatest" isn't stable or causes unforseen problems). I know this because I HAVE a board with a VIA chipset btw. NOTE: this is not just on the VIA chipsets for AMD, Intel is also a victim here.

Take a look at http://www.tomshardware.com - they just TODAY put up a review of 3 LOW-COST AMD 760/761 chipset based motherboards supporting DDR! Epox, FIC, and DFI. (If you want to save a little money that is.)

- H@
    Quote Quote  
  8. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-11 08:15:19, dick bininya wrote:
    i honestly can say that a p4 1.7 w/ 256 rdram and a asus p4t
    are the best combo ive ever seen.
    i used to have a p3 800 and average encoding time for a 90 min divx, vcd , etc. took anywhere from 7-10 hrs.
    with my p4 setup it takes me 2 and a half hours!!!
    how can i complain about that.
    the only reason i purchased the above p4 combo is because
    the p4 1.7 finally makes use of rdram. and the p4 is superior to the amd in terms of most games and more importantly encoding!! since that is all i do, it is the obvious choice. if you use office apps, then a amd is the way to go. but i highly reccomend the p4- its really is fast for this stuff, and the most important components in encoding, seem to be processor and memory.
    think about it.
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

Dick,
    I'm seriously thinking of getting the same P4 combo as you--I was wondering what software you were using for the encoding...and is it P4 optimized?
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM

Jacques,

I had to update the latest VIA drivers (4-in-1 ver.4.31) and the BIOS update (MSI K7T Turbo ver. 2.7).

I did it on May and during that time the compatibility problem was just fixed with these updates and I couldn't find them from MSI pages (weird isn't it).

I found a discussion forum about the problem and there were a lot of people having the same problem. Also one person from VIA was taking part and said: "there could be some compatibility problems with certain sound cards and big file sizes with VIA chipset". From there I got the following link:
    http://www.amdzone.com/files.cfm which have all the latest BIOS updates and VIA drivers (incl. the fixes).

Before that I was spending a lot of time trying to solve the problem. My computer was in the repair shop so many times that I lost count; and no luck from there.

After downloading the latest BIOS and VIA drivers I installed them and now my system works perfect (if having a CPU more than 900MHz you may also need to install DC10.reg from Pinnacle site; I did it).

So, this worked with my system:
    Win98SE
    1Ghz AMD Athlon (Socket A)
    MSI K7T Turbo
    256 PC-133 RAM
    Pinnacle Studio DC10 plus
    SB live 1024
    30 GB 7200 Maxtor (slave)
    40 GB 5400 Maxtor (master)
    Liteon 52X (master)
    Liteon Burn Proof CD-RW (slave)

I can’t be sure that this will work with other systems, but the AMD Zone is worth of checking.

Hopefully this helps
    Rise
    Quote Quote  
  10. joe127,

i use smartripper to rip
    dvd2avi to frameserve
    and tmpgenc to encode and edit.

it all works great and takes very little time.
    if you have the money to spend, go for this combo, i wouldn't reccomend it if i didn't like it or if i thought it was not worth the money. if i wasn't happy with it i would tell as well, i can deal with it if i get ripped off.
    this aside i reccomend a 300w power supply, and a decent global-win fan for the proc. also the rdram is very cheap considering how expensive it was at its debut. for games and encoding this processor takes the cake, but only the p41.7, anything less- the amd is superior.
    as for the above software i believe it is optimzed for both amd and intel.
    flask mpeg is also supportive and very fast with the p4.
    hope this helps. if you have any other questions, ask.
    and go to pricewatch.com if you do decide to purchase, you will find some of the best prices hands-down.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm using an ASUS motherboard with an Athlon 1Ghz processor, 256MB RAM, and a 40GB hardrive. I'm very satisfied with the performance I get. It usually takes about 4:1 in recompressing from DVD to SVCD using TMPGEnc with the slow (High quality) option. VCD is about 2:1.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Rise,

Thanks for your reply.

The PC I am looking to put the DC10+ into is:

PIII 1GHz
    256MB PC133 RAM
    MicroStar 6318 (I think!)
    VIA Apollo Pro133A Chipset(s)VT82C694X + VT82C686A
    1x Seagate U5 20GB (master)
    1x Seagate U5 40GB (slave)
    Liteon 12x DVD (master)
    HP CDRW 9300i (slave)
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 32MB
    SB PCI 128
    Windows ME

I will post my results as soon as I have them.

Regards
    Jacques
    Quote Quote  
  13. I have been using my system for DV editing,converting my DVDs to MPEG use on my portable (without a
    DVD drive) and I am learning how to transfer my VHS to MPEG; the best thing about the setup is the RAID-0 drive array; it gives me SCSI throughput at a fraction of the cost with a lot of storage

ASUS A7V133Mboard with onboard RAID 0 ; $150
    AMD Athlon 900MHz $120
    2 Maxtor 40gig hard drive 7200rpm with 2meg buffer
    (80 GIGs) $200 total after rebates
    IBM 7200 20GIG Main Drive
    SoundBlaster Live Valve $40
    DVD Pioneer 16X $70
    CDRW Memorex 2642 2/4/6 drive $80
    ATI All-in Wonder Radeon $250 32DDR/AGP; lots of options
    drivers can be an issue, but I've done okay
    1394 DV card; from Digital Origins; with EDIT DV
    can get the card for just $50 from some places and use other cheaper software (the EDIT DV system was about $400)
    56K Modem Card $30
    512 SDRAM $100 total (got it during a price drop)
    Enlight Case $65

The only thing I would have done differently would be to have purchased a faster processor (1.2MHz, but price was about $100 more when I build the system)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cam Corder on 2001-07-12 09:32:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cam Corder on 2001-07-12 09:34:07 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  14. Just to let you know, I got my DC10+ last night and installed it no probs at all.

Captured some of my 8mm Camcorder stuff using max bitrate (6000KB) and full size capture (tv cropped 720x540 PAL). Added music from CD and then used Panasonic 2.51 Standalone to make VCD. Burned it with NERO and it is excellent.

So I guess there's not much wrong with the chipset / motherboard / CPU combo I posted earlier.

Regards
    Jacques
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I use an AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.4Ghz in an EPoX 8KTA3+ with 1.5GB of PC133 SDRAM. I have one 8GB ATA/33 HDD for backups and music, two 20GB IBM Deskstars as my main drive for OS and apps, and the other is a Video capture/processing drive. I just got a Pioneer DVD-116 and Sefy sent me the firmware to rid myself of Macrovision and Regions, and it works great. So far this system is pretty damn stable and is fairly speedy. Seems that no matter what speed your processor is, or how many processors you have, TMPGEnc always brings the system down to its knees!
    irc.webmaster.com port 6667 #DDR
    Quote Quote