VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hey there,

my question concerns the following error message in nero:

"VTS_01_1.VOB is larger than 2 gb and therefore can not be stored in ISO. Please use UDF to write such bigger files. this can be done by selecting another composition type."

so i tried to backup a movie that was dvd decrypted and then dvd shrink-ed. i use nero to burn and and set up my AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders in the udf/iso dvd mode. when i went to transfer the contents of the shrunken files to the video folder, i got the above message. there is a file in the contents that is indeed above 2 gb. what puzzles me is that i have successfully backed up 5 movies now and have never had this problem or seen this message. i tried to burn the movie simply in the udf dvd mode but the movie is now unreadable by my dvd player (it had no problems with the other ones in the udf/iso mode).

i'm using the same dvd's and methods (learned from various tutorials) that were successful with the other movies. couldn't find anything in the forum or web that directly addresses this question (but might have not used the right search criteria). any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance. -critter
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is an option in the preferences section of DVDShrink to 'Split VOB files greater than 1GB' - it might be an idea to run this step again with the option ticked.
    Quote Quote  
  3. just wanted to let you know that i took the above advice and it worked. thanks so much for your help. take care . -critter
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Something you might want to check out is:

What file system is your drive? FAT, FAT32, NTFS?

Under XP each file system has limitations as to how large a file can be.

The limits are:
    FAT - 2 GB
    FAT32 - 4 GB
    NTFS - no limit, if your HD is 80 GB you can have a 80 GB file.

You can convert any current file format to NTFS and it should be OK. I would image your drive first just to be safe but I just converted my 120 GB OS drive from FAT32 to NTFS and it is just fine. My OS drive is actually my 60 GB but I wanted to see if I could convert it and the OS still boot and all my files remain intact and registered...they did. I am impressed, finally a operation from Microsoft that worked the way it was suppose too WHO WOULD HAVE THUNK IT

A 2 GB file can be put into a ISO file...maybe a limitation in nero, I don't know. You could always use IMGtools to make the image.
    Quote Quote