VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i do video editing whit pinnacle studio 8,
    i whan to write the video file on a dvd+R or dvd+RW whit a plextor dvd+RW whit nero 6.
    but i dont know how to make a mpg to IFO, BUP, and VOB files.

plz help me
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't mean to sound like a smart a$$, but isn't that what authoring does? Try dvdauthor with Liquid's GUI under "tools." I think you may have to demultiplex the mpg file first though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi kicker-honda,

Once you've done your editing, you need to save the finished project into one of many video formats. I use DV AVI when I've finished editing in Adobe Premiere.

You then need to get the file to DVD compliant mpg2 format. Common opinion is to encode using a dedicated encoder (like TMPGEnc Plus, there are others) to do AVI -> MPG2 rather than having the editing software do the encoding, as the quality is considered to be better (use the right tools for each job is the theme). I find this guide:

http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html

...VERY useful for the settings in TMPGEnc. Remember, you may need to calculate the max bitrate (see Tools, Bitrate Calculators) if the original movie is longer than around 1 hour (I think) as the final mpg2 can't be bigger than 4.7Gb. Remeber the max bitrate in total (video + audio + subtitles etc.) is around 9,484 kbps (can't remember the EXACT figure).

Once you've got an MPG2 file, you can then author using software like TMPGEnc DVD Author (there are others). This will create your IFO, BUP & VOB files. It's a good tool for beginners, and is fully functional for a 30 day trial.

Note: TMPGEnc (encoder) will give you audio in mp2 format. Only (mostly) European DVD stand-alone players play mp2 audio. If you need other audio (PCM (also known as WAV) or AC3) you'll need to extract the audio from your source video (the finished project) as a WAV (takes up a lot of room on a DVD @ 1,536 kbps) using something like VirtualDub.

You can convert the WAV to AC3 (similar sound quality, lot less space on a DVD as you can define the kbps (192 is good)) using ffmpeggui.

Hope that helps... Any questions, get back. I'd suggest a lot of reading and learning on each step before embarking on it. Oh, and get a rewriteable (DVD-/+RW) in case it's not perfect first time...

Good luck.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by kicker-honda
    i do video editing whit pinnacle studio 8,
    i whan to write the video file on a dvd+R or dvd+RW whit a plextor dvd+RW whit nero 6.
    but i dont know how to make a mpg to IFO, BUP, and VOB files.

plz help me
    Try read post in my signature. All can be done in PS8.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thx for al the help.
    i do the job now whit TMPGEnc DVD Author
    Quote Quote