VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently bought a SVHS vcr for the purpose of converting old tapes. It has a built in TBC (yes I realize not as good as a real TBC) which helped a lot with the source quality. These are very crappy 20 year old EP recordings. I did a couple of captures and was pleased with the results. However, a couple of days later I decided to capture again with slightly different settings, and found that while it was playing the tapes, the top of the screen began to flicker wildly. When i turned off the TBC it stopped, but the quality of the rest of the picture was noticeably degraded. It does this every time now, when it didn't do this at all the first time I tried it. Could the new vcr have somehow affected the tape?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wild quess but could you have changed the tracking setting on the player? Check the book and see how to set/check it, if an auto setting and if manually adjustable try playing with that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you have a JVC. They have all kinds of different picture settings in the menu. Stuff like Active Calibration etc.

Try playing around with those settings. I found that putting the picture on EDIT as opposed to AUTO (the default) worked better for making copies be it to another VCR or to capture.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. fulci,
    quite right a jvc vcr. yes i've found the various settings. so you've found edit to work best for the source tape? i found the manual to be a little confusing, but left it on auto because after testing couldn't decide what was best. i will test "edit" as the play setting. thanks for the input, i'll let you know if it gets better. I assume for crappy source tapes that using the tbc is better than using the "video stabilization" setting?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by qlizard
    fulci,
    quite right a jvc vcr. yes i've found the various settings. so you've found edit to work best for the source tape? i found the manual to be a little confusing, but left it on auto because after testing couldn't decide what was best. i will test "edit" as the play setting. thanks for the input, i'll let you know if it gets better. I assume for crappy source tapes that using the tbc is better than using the "video stabilization" setting?
    It depends on the tape. My S-VHS JVC died a few months back and I'm using a 6 Head Hi-Fi Stereo Toshiba (sadly no longer made) that looks better to me even though it has no built-in TBC but then again I work mostly with old pre-records which tend to be in better shape than say SLP/EP recordings.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DNR-based TBC in a JVC does not like high-compounded errors. You'll need to turn it off, use the STABILIZER, and then use other means to repair (hardware TBC and/or software).

And even then, be prepared for a bad tape to not work.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. the tbc/dnr is very nice on the jvc...however I found on my (7 yr old vhsc EP) tapes sometimes the stabilization was needed...this is when tape plays very nice but then starts jumping/jittering up and down for a bit then continues nice...
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DaveS
    the tbc/dnr is very nice on the jvc...however I found on my (7 yr old vhsc EP) tapes sometimes the stabilization was needed...this is when tape plays very nice but then starts jumping/jittering up and down for a bit then continues nice...
    To overrides the jitter, attempt using a DataVideo TBC-1000 with it... that does the trick for me most times... biggest reason I like the TBC1000
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Dammit man, how did I know this thread would result in me buying yet another $200 component? my wife is going to kill me...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by DaveS
    the tbc/dnr is very nice on the jvc...however I found on my (7 yr old vhsc EP) tapes sometimes the stabilization was needed...this is when tape plays very nice but then starts jumping/jittering up and down for a bit then continues nice...
    To overrides the jitter, attempt using a DataVideo TBC-1000 with it... that does the trick for me most times... biggest reason I like the TBC1000
    actually I did; I think I need to experiment a bit more w/ it..to see when it will / won't help me (and in fact got the tbc1000 probably after some of your posts/site .. I think it will come in handy over time)...I tried running my jittery scene w/o the jvc vcr stabilizer on and through the tbc1000 and then with the stabilizer w/o the tbc1000... the tbc1000 didn't fix the jitters really, so I thought it was more related to the physical tape condition than the signals on the tape; in fact, the jvc stabilizer did an excellent job as when I turned it off (and the onboard tbc/dnr on), the jitters were really bad...I guess it uses the frame memory for the stabilization and doesn't have any left for the dnr/tbc..

I will probably experiment some more to get a better feel for which problems it can help me w/ .. (and also awaiting when you put up your page on video restoration!)

Originally Posted by qlizard
    Dammit man, how did I know this thread would result in me buying yet another $200 component? my wife is going to kill me...
    that's so freakin' classic!! - LOL . ..been there, done that...but don't that let that dissuade you single guys from finding your true love! (just don't let her in on your little hobby right away)
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks everyone for the info. I'm not sure how much more I can absorb, as I learn more and more from this site every day. but my project is now proceeding, thanks mainly to this site and the helpful people on it.
    Lordsmurf and fulcilives, your recommendations for my svhs purchase had the single most influence on my video capture quality.
    if you don't mind, what do you mean by "high-compounded" errors? I did a search and find some very entertaining threads but didn't really explain what they were.
    thanks again.
    Quote Quote