VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I downloaded a movie and as it turns out, on top of the original audio track (in English) the entire movie is dubbed to Russian. You can still hear the English in the background though. Is there any way to remove the Russian dubbing so that I have the original audio only? I'm not really sure how to confirm this, but the movie appears to have only one audio channel (whatever that means). Can anybody help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If they are both playing at the same time, then both languages are on the same track.

It might be possible to isolate the background audio, but I am unsure if there are PC tools capable of doing so.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, that makes sense since they ARE both playing at the same time - is there anybody who knows if there's any free software that will enable to "filter-out" the foreign language dubbing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The simplest answer is...no. You cannot remove dubbed audio that is on the same track as the main audio. There's no such thing as a "Russian Language" filter. There is no practical way to ferret out the other voice from any audio track that has been mixed with the main track.

I'm not going to ask if this movie you "downloaded" is an illegal download of a copyrighted work...but I can tell you this; if you are going to download movies off the internet (legal or otherwise), look at the title and if you see something like this: "ru", "rus", "dcm" (digital cinema masters - a Russian release group), "megafilm.tk" (another Russian release group) or similar in the file name, it's probably been dubbed into Russian for the Russian internet users/downloaders.

That's fine when you are married to someone that speaks Russian (like I am), but a real problem when you only speak English. So for you, just avoid anything with those letters I mentioned in the file name. That's not a guarantee that you will get English only (some Russian release groups are lazy and forget to add it to the file name), but for sure you will get Russian if it has "ru" or "rus" in the title. Hope that helps.
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote  
  5. Usually if you have 2 languages audio just need to change how your audio comes through from stereo to either right channel or left, one of them will be english in most cases.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks. The title didn't have any suffix - it only had the name of the movie. As for the "filter" I asked about, I didn't mean a "Russian language filter", but I thought there may be a way to filter out the second voice that was recorded on top of the original soundtrack. Somehow they manage to do such things on TV in shows like CSI or the like, so I was hoping there could be such an equivalent for laypersons... Thanks anyways.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FourthWiseMonkey has an idea. Load the video into Gold Wave. See if there are two audio channels. If there are, select one channel and see if it plays one language. Then select the other channel and repaet. If there is a channel that plays English only, you are in luck.

Select the the channel that has Russian on it and select Edit-->Delete. This drives all the audio in the channel to zero (silence). Select the good channel and Edit-->Copy. Select the silenced channel and Edit-->Mix. Save as a wave file.

Go to TMPGEnc, and in the main screen, load the original video as input video, and the new wave file as input audio. Select Start. The resultant file should be your vidoe with English only audio.

The depends of course, on whether your video has an English only audio channel.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks, but as I mentioned, the Russian is recorded on the same channel as the original English sound track, so I'm looking for a way to perhaps "filter out" the dubbed part.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wanted you to see if there was a second track to see if there was an English only track. If you had checked with Gold Wave, it would have told you which what was on both tracks. Guess we'll never know now. Oh well. Hope you figure out a way though.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote