VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Your stories are all variations of: "Ten years ago...
    I installed a codec pack 3 days ago, as part of testing procedures, and "fucked" would be an understatement for what happened to the computer (or more exact, a VM used for the test). Even the CCCP is a problem, though not quite as bad.

You're the ONLY person on this site who defends codec packs.
    Anybody can search this forum and find more recent, more detailed conversations on codec packs.
    Yes, you pop up at every opportunity to rant about this.
    Though as for "detailed": "a codec pack", and "fucked"?
    Yeah, right, that's very specific and detailed.

Contents of K-Lite Codec Pack (Basic) version 7.6.0:
    ffdshow: ffdshow [revision 3964]
    DirectShow audio decoding filters: LAV Audio [version 0.31 build 2011-08-08]
    DirectShow source filters: Haali Media Splitter [version 1.11.96.14],
    LAV Splitter [version 0.31 build 2011-08-08]
    DirectShow subtitle filter: DirectVobSub (a.k.a. VSFilter) [version 2.40.3611.0]
    Other filters: Haali Video Renderer [version 1.11.96.14]
    Tools:
    Codec Tweak Tool [version 5.0.7]
    Win7DSFilterTweaker [version 4.5]
    Could hardly be more plain vanilla.
    Don't know how you could have fucked that up, not really interested.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 25th Aug 2011 at 05:39.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Gazorgan View Post
    It's a simple process, very simple. The hard part is of course identifying what's installed.

This is for W2K. It works for XP if you take away all the M$ BS about hiding everything from you.

1) Start/settings/Control Panel/Sounds and MultiMedia

2) Click on the Hardware Tab (yeah I know)

3) Double click on Video Codecs then hit the properties tab. Looky there...your video codecs. Notice there is a Remove button.

Now the hard part is determining what's what. The plain DLL's are usually the culprits. Windows comes with certain built in by default (Cinepack/Indeo/RLE/Microsoft).

I did that, but as soon as I closed the window they all came back again. I could remove them all, close the window and open it again, and they'd all be right there as if I'd never removed them. So they are not actually being removed?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PistolSlap View Post
    I did that, but as soon as I closed the window they all came back again. I could remove them all, close the window and open it again, and they'd all be right there as if I'd never removed them. So they are not actually being removed?
    Try Codec Tweak Tool
    Quote Quote  
  4. ffdshow + QuickTime should be enough to support ALL imaginable formats that You are able download (maybe with exception of few RAW or High Pro formats) also demuxer/decoder combo LAV Filter can be useful.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If anyone interested, you can try SAF (Stand Alone Filters).
    It was primary developed for HTPCs (MediaPortal, GB-PVR/NPVR), but it can work as a standalone player too.

More info: http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/codecs-331/saf-v6-00-based-lavf-95635/
    Download: http://hobring.esero.net/saf/binary/

You should be able to play nearly all formats including MOV and RM, with minimal system changes (no need to have install anything else).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    The whole point of a codec pack is that it provides management tools for codecs rather than dealing with them individually.
    I'm sorry, but that's just BS spin and revisionist history.
    You're not sorry and you have no clue about the subject.
    It's not about "history" but a current version.
    Which I have used and you haven't.

Your knowledge is limited to repeating 10-year-old anecdotes that have no relevance to any current software.
    Alan when was the last time you truly tested a codec pack? And I don't mean install and see if it works. One of the last steps i use when installing a codec pack is to uninstall it and compare it to a snapshot of the system prior to installing the codec pack. It's been a bot over a year since i have done so but CCCP nor K-lite clean up after themselves very well. If the developers of the codec packs can't get that part right what else are they missing?
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @dragonkeeper: Yep.

I had to remove CCCP from somebody's system recently because it massively screwed up AVI capturing abilities.
    Uninstall was far from thorough.
    I was literally minutes away from a full format, before I found the last bits of crap.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dragonkeeper View Post
    Alan when was the last time you truly tested a codec pack? And I don't mean install and see if it works. One of the last steps i use when installing a codec pack is to uninstall it and compare it to a snapshot of the system prior to installing the codec pack. It's been a bot over a year since i have done so but CCCP nor K-lite clean up after themselves very well. If the developers of the codec packs can't get that part right what else are they missing?
    I'm not playing with my system to prove a point to you.
    Which you probably would just dismiss against your own experience anyway.

Go to the respective forums associated with the codecs and ask the users and maintainers such questions.
    Or you can follow the Reverend Smurf and just say that they're all the work of Satan and should be killed with fire.

My general view is that codec packs are in concept simply packages of individual codec installers. The pack installers try to reduce the conflicts and rationalise the way the codecs work together, that is their major value, beyond simple convenience. I think the major ones: K-Lite, CCCP, Shark007, all do this well now.

Many individual codecs have inadequate installers and uninstallers.
    Feel free to install each codec with its own installer. Certainly it will take much longer, and I doubt you'll get a better result, but if you mistrust the pack installers, go ahead.

The basic problem is that Microsoft has failed to provide a simple safe mechanism for third parties to install codecs. They're only concerned with their own media player and formats, and anyone who wants anything else is on their own.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    as a non codec pack user i can only comment on what i've seen from users here and tried to help them with. 99 out of 100 posts here about any codec pack are people desperate to get some form of video back working properly on their computer after installing a pack. not glowing comments about how good they are. mostly from what i've seen a re-format/re-install of windows is about the only way to "fix" codec pack problems. then the posters go away and aren't heard from again. hopefully having learned a lesson albeit the hard way.

i'm another one who has never and won't be testing any codec pack ever- so it's all heresay to me anyway.\
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    99 out of 100 posts here about any codec pack are people desperate to get some form of video back working properly on their computer after installing a pack.
    Actually, 99 out of 100 posts about codecs are the same two or three people repeating that story.

I challenge you to provide two links to posts here in the last five years that actually were "people desperate to get some form of video back working properly on their computer after installing a pack." Let alone 99.

If you can, I'll apologise.
    If you can't, please don't repeat this crap.

Anyway, K-Lite works for me, and its installer fixed the mess a media converter installed by my daughter created.
    But if you install every codec pack with every possible codec activated, then yes, you could be in trouble. So as the doctor said, don't do that. Install one pack and activate only the minimum/basic set of codecs to begin with. ffdshow is included in all packs and goes a long way. Pay attention to the questions the installer asks rather than ticking every box. Look at the diagnostic and repair utilities included.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 10th Nov 2011 at 09:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Playing with? it's a simple thing to un-ionstall and reinstall a codec pack, at least that's what you would like us to believe. And like i said I do it just to try the codec packs out if they could get the codec packs right then i could recommend it to my friends and family instead of the usual of trying walk them through installs over the phone. Believe me I'm in favor of codec packs, but being able to play video is not my definition of "it works". Did it break something? Is my primary concern which my primary concern, which often happens. Now if I could just uninstall and try a different codec packs until i get to one that works well on the system I'm tinkering with great. But that usually cause more problems.

So i have to try to figure out what caused the failure and why. Doesn't always happen but it happens enough for me to stay away from codec packs. It's much easier to manually install what is needed and leave it be. In truth if all you do is watch video you will probably be ok with a codec pack. but as you start installing capture software, programs to convert video there is probably a very good possibility you will experience problems related to codec packs.

I'm speaking from experince of wroking with many peole and build probably thousands of PCs over the years ()only to have many come back because they can't play a wav or avi or my personal favorite Winamp was working but now X, (this problem seems to always be related to a codec pack).

My general view is that codec packs are in concept simply packages of individual codec installers. The pack installers try to reduce the conflicts and rationalise the way the codecs work together, that is their major value.I think the major ones all do this well now.
    Misguided dribble once you have to work on someones PC that is totally fubar and you can't do a format for what ever reason they have given. Come talk to me again on this point. (it takes entirely to long to fully clean up behind a codec pack.)

Many individual codecs have inadequate installers and uninstallers.
    Feel free to install each codec with its own installer. Certainly it will take much longer, and I doubt you'll get a better result, but if you mistrust the pack installers, go ahead.
    Point out one problem due to some one installing a codec, the only time i've seen it be an issue is if the user had previously installed a codec pack.I install 5 pieces of software and if yet to find video i can't play. Seems the only way to do that with a codec pack is to install everything and then you're up the creak.

The basic problem is that Microsoft has failed to provide a simple safe mechanism for third parties to install codecs. They're only concerned with their own media player and formats, and anyone who wants anything else is on their own.
    As much as i would like to, this is just one of those times I can't blame Microsoft. I write tons of code for all types of things installing has never been a problem. If the developers can't grasp this simple concept they should stop doing what they are doing. Cleaning up behind yourself is just good house keeping and is easily done. If you are putting wrappers around software developed by others the first thing you should do is fully understand what their software is doing, until you do this how can you successfully install\uninstall it? You can't, you can however get it working to some degree, which will suite most people as they are easily satisfied you just happen to be one of those people. Nothing wrong with that but for those who expect things to work as intended DON"T EXPECT SUCH FROM CODEC PACKS." which is the point a lot of us are trying to make. You fan boys are dirtying up the water with your blind faith.
    Last edited by dragonkeeper; 10th Nov 2011 at 11:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Playing with? it's a simple thing to un-ionstall and reinstall a codec pack, at least that's what you would like us to believe.
    I'm not trying to "make you believe" anything, obviously nothing I say would change your mind.

You fan boys are dirtying up the water with your blind faith.
    I don't have blind faith in anything, let alone codec packs.

I note that in all the horror stories people recount, there is never any detail of which codec pack, which version, what options. Just "He installed a codec pack and his PC went up in smoke!!!"

The problem usually is that the user has installed multiple media programs that may have changed codec settings, multiple codecs and codec packs, not read any instructions, and finally they end up with a dozen copies of ffdshow installed on their desktop, and other weird places and **** knows what else.

When I've setup a new PC and a K-Lite basic version, never had any problems.

Not a testimonial, not a guarantee, just reporting a small item of data.
    Please feel free to roll your own solution, I don't get a percentage either way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i think from now on i'll just quote someone else when codec packs come up.

DO NOT install any of CODEC packs. If you already have, remove them. If you don't you can pretty much count on problems

jdobbs
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  14. I suggest intalling the LAV Filters. It's just three codecs, but they play just about everything under the sun. Unless you need to use the XviD encoder (or for that matter, any other third-party encoders), you shouldn't need these rediculous codec packs, as they really do clutter your computer with all matter of unnecessary garbage. I also recommend installing VSFilter if you need/want to use subtitles.

Based on what I have read here, I'm guessing that codec packs are very hit-and-miss. I can't say for sure whether any are good (although I did have quite good luck some years ago with CCCP), but I will say that bad news tends to travel faster than good news. Anyway, if you want to avoid the frustration, I strongly recommend LAV Filters (and maybe VSFilter), and nothing else unless necessary.

Also, perhaps one might benefit from reading the changelog from whatever codec pack the use (or plan to use) to see if many of these "bugs" (assuming that they do exist) are fixed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TSJNachos View Post
    you shouldn't need these rediculous codec packs, as they really do clutter your computer with all matter of unnecessary garbage.
    Oh boy....someone else to quote aedipuss.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    with these codecs i have no problems with any format(yet?)
    real alternative
    quicktime alternative
    K-Lite Pro Codec Pack
    use Gspot to ID
    PS3 Media Server
    i always used CCCP codec pack but had problems with a couple of MKV Files
    now never looked back
    all the above do everything most of us want
    the only thing i dont use is media player classic, i prefer media centre & media player 11
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wrathofbod View Post
    real alternative
    quicktime alternative
    K-Lite Pro Codec Pack
    the only thing i dont use is media player classic, i prefer media centre & media player 11
    I laughed so hard i think i hurt myself.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    real alternative
    quicktime alternative
    k-lite pro codec pack
    i laughed so hard i think i hurt myself. :d
    & why the fecks that then???????????????
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    real alternative
    quicktime alternative
    k-lite pro codec pack
    i laughed so hard i think i hurt myself. :d
    & why the fecks that then???????????????
    1. The software you use to play RM and mov files, both come packaged with MPC. maybe the authors are trying to tell us something.
    2. Use of codec pack, but you did redeem yourself by adding yet to your statement. The initial description of k-lite reads to say "By installing this software you will be able to play any audio video format". So of course the less informed are gonna select all, so they can play any and everything. The description does go on to say "if you install all the included codecs/decoders you might get problem with other video software on your computer."
    One statement pretty much contradicts the other.
    3. You use WMP 11. (Granted WMP 11 is 2 twice as good as previous versions, but it's still not half as good as MPC or VLC). Well there is one thing that WMP does better, DRM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i think from now on i'll just quote someone else when codec packs come up.

DO NOT install any of CODEC packs. If you already have, remove them. If you don't you can pretty much count on problems

jdobbs
    Because that's so helpful to quote someone, without any context or link explaining when where any and what "codec packs" this guy is was referring to.

If you choose to post such a comment, you take responsibility for it and back it up. Or don't bother posting at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2. Use of codec pack, but you did redeem yourself by adding yet to your statement. The initial description of k-lite reads to say "By installing this software you will be able to play any audio video format". So of course the less informed are gonna select all, so they can play any and everything. The description does go on to say "if you install all the included codecs/decoders you might get problem with other video software on your computer."
    One statement pretty much contradicts the other.
    That description is written by someone at Videohelp trying to cover all the bases, not K-Lite.
    See
    http://www.codecguide.com/about_kl.htm
    http://www.codecguide.com/faq.htm
    for what K-Lite maintainers say.

But yes, if you want to ignore the defaults and install everything, you can. It's not a magic bullet, no one claims it is, and doesn't stop you shooting yourself in the foot.
    In my experience it can reliably deactivate codecs or uninstall. So it's usually not fatal. Those who install K-Lite Mega, then CCCP, then add a few others piecemeal, are going to have a harder time undoing it.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 13th Nov 2011 at 01:54.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Really ?!?!?

An 8 year old thread still going ?!?!?!

I have not wasted enough time to go through the post's to see who and when it it was dug up.....

But one thing is 100% for sure!!!!

99% of the time, Giving someone a codec pack is like giving a chimp a loaded gun!!!
    PERIOD!!!

Originally Posted by TSJNachos View Post
    I suggest intalling the LAV Filters. It's just three codecs, but they play just about everything under the sun.
    That has to be one of the biggest load's of BS i have ever read!!!!
    Spoken (written) like a true clueless idiot!!!!
    Just 3 codecs will play the hundreds of different video formats out there ?

You really don't get it do you ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That description is written by someone at Videohelp trying to cover all the bases, not K-Lite.
    Alan the description provided by the maintainers is just as miss-guided for the ill informed.
    The K-Lite Codec Pack is designed as a user-friendly solution for playing all your audio and movie files. With the K-Lite Codec Pack you should be able to play all the popular audio and video formats and even several less common formats.

As a newbie the description alone tells me this is a "magic bullet". So of course I'm gonna install everything, and why shouldn't I the bullet points re-assure me it's the right thing to do. Among the bullet points are;
    *The pack is suitable for both novice and expert users.
    *The installer is able to detect broken codecs and filters on your system, and helps you to remove them.

* The installer is able to detect and remove over 100 different codec and filter packs.
    * Uninstallation removes everything that was installed by the pack. Including all registry keys. All changes are properly undone.

The third bullet point is where I really have a problem granted it has been a over year since I tested any codec packs and I wouldn't knock them so hard if i had found this to be true. Also for a successful uninstall my expectation is as follows; return my system returned to the state it was in before I installed the software, points 2 and 3 make this a near impossibility. But a lot of apps fail at this, not just k-lite.

But yes, if you want to ignore the defaults and install everything, you can. It's not a magic bullet, no one claims it is, and doesn't stop you shooting yourself in the foot.
    In my experience it can reliably deactivate codecs or uninstall. So it's usually not fatal. Those who install K-Lite Mega, then CCCP, then add a few others piecemeal, are going to have a harder time undoing it.
    I agree with most of what you said here, but if i read the description as listed on the maintainers page "magic bullet" is exactly what I come away with which gives much credence to Noahtuck's comment at least in the case of newbies.

Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    99% of the time, Giving someone a codec pack is like giving a chimp a loaded gun!!!
    Last edited by dragonkeeper; 13th Nov 2011 at 07:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alan the description provided by the maintainers is just as miss-guided for the ill informed.
    My point was that you were quoting a third party as if they were the creators.
    Like almost everyone in this thread who vehemently quotes unnamed people without context to support their views of software they've never used themselves, yet somehow have a strong prejudice against.

I agree with most of what you said here, but if i read the description as listed on the maintainers page "magic bullet" is exactly what I come away with which gives much credence to Noahtuck's comment at least in the case of newbies.
    If you just install the basic version with default settings, on a computer that isn't already seriously fucked up, you will be fine. Many people have virtually bricked their PC frantically trying one thing after another, compounding the problem.

Nevertheless, its installer does a very good job of detecting and uninstalling/replacing existing codecs, even botched installs, in my experience.

I can't work up much sympathy for people who don't read instructions in front of them and later complain they weren't stopped from doing something dumb.

But if you think the description is misleading, maybe you should raise that on their feedback forum.
    http://codecs.forumotion.net/f2-feedback

But consider: most of the individual codecs barely have a readme. You're demanding a much higher degree of handlholding from K-Lite, an entirely free service. Nobody would need or want a codec pack if it was actually simpler to install each codec individually.

Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    What I said, basically. Except that applies to codecs in general, whether in a pack or not.
    But instead of having to laboriously shoot yourself six times, a codec pack lets you use full auto and empty the clip all at once.
    So you save a lot of time.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Wins7 codec pack
    Quote Quote