VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. sorry gazorgan

But do you think audio codecs may prevent the play of video too?

e.g. im going through the same prob. i dont want to format my pc but i wanna remove all my codecs and start from scratch, i removed the dll files but im not sure wat else i should remove because it might screw me pc :S

any advice?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The best way to avoid this situation is to STOP DOWNLOADING MOVIES!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Bondiablo

I had caught a virus which messed up my system. I had to reinstall everything. My media player was working fine. One or two movies did not have the right CODEC pack.

So I went hunting qand installed everything I could find. Then I could not get sound out of my player. I d/l'ed several other players and still could not get sound. I called Tech support, and I found out I could NOT play any video or music from the Verizon site. I was frustrated.

Then I came here. I had installed NIMO pack among others. I thenk deleted it, and installed the KLite back that was recommended here.

VOILA!! Like MAGIC!!! Everything is back to normal.

Thanks,
    Anthony...
    Anthony.....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks Schpyder the defiler pack works perfectly not had a problem yet and i got one of every type of video file was having problems thanks to the stupid k lite codec pack FIXED NOW YAY
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you only need to play video files use KMPlayer. It plays just about anything with no need to install any codecs. VLC is also good for most video files.

Regarding Gazorgan's list of codecs to install and not being able to play Divx files: you probably just need to enable Divx decoding in ffdshow:

Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> Video Decoder Conviguration -> Codecs (left pane) -> Divx5 (right pane) -> libavcodec or Xvid
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok first of all there isnt one, what i do to get all my needs. Install CCCP (Community Core Media Pack), Klite Codek Pack, and Real Alternative. With those 3 you wont have any conflicts and you will be able to play probably all formats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Serune View Post
    Ok first of all there isnt one, what i do to get all my needs. Install CCCP (Community Core Media Pack), Klite Codek Pack, and Real Alternative. With those 3 you wont have any conflicts and you will be able to play probably all formats

Why restarting a three-year-dead thread?

Anyway, I think it a bad idea to install several codec packs.
    The whole idea is that the "pack" organises all your codecs. You're asking for conflicts if you install several.
    The two leading packs seem to be K-Lite and CCCP. But not both.
    What do you need in CCCP that you can't find in K-Lite, for instance?
    You get Real Alternative with K-Lite Mega pack if you need that.

Probably CCCP is as equally complete, but I'm less familiar with that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    More than *six* years old, actually. Resurrected TWICE.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try playing the problem videos in MPC-HC.

Also try the beta versions at http://xvidvideo.ru/media-player-classic-home-cinema-x86-x64/.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    More than *six* years old, actually. Resurrected TWICE.
    I said "three-year-dead" since that's how long since the previous post in 2007. Not "years-old", since the first post in 2004.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yeah, but isn't 6 years since the first post something of a record? I'm astonished. It's the thread that refuses to die.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Serune View Post
    No, no, no. Don't install TWO codec packs, that's just asking for trouble. CCCP isn't going to add any capabilities that K-Lite doesn't. You'll just end up with decoder (and maybe encoder) conflicts.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Yeah, but isn't 6 years since the first post something of a record? I'm astonished. It's the thread that refuses to die.
    Nope, another one brought back today (I guess it's actually yesterday now) started and originally ended in 2001. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/777-Organizeing-movie-collection
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I said "three-year-dead" since that's how long since the previous post in 2007. Not "years-old", since the first post in 2004.
    doh...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only good codec pack is the one you don't install
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hello all.

So i am a real big time newbie.

I also am hoping to uninstall my k-lite codec pack, however, its way too complicated for me, that is in particular, is there anyway u can provide a list of which codecs should be uninstalled (or i am guessing it might be easier to list which codecs should not be uninstalled, ie came with windows)

Also, how do we get to the following in windows 7:

"1) Start/settings/Control Panel/Sounds and MultiMedia
    2) Click on the Hardware Tab
    3) Double click on Video Codecs then hit the properties tab. Looky there...your video codecs. Notice there is a Remove button."

I know this question is prolly annoying and a hassle to u experts, so i really appreciate any help, thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dogpoundz View Post
    Hello all.

So i am a real big time newbie.

I also am hoping to uninstall my k-lite codec pack, however, its way too complicated for me
    The whole point of a codec pack is that it provides management tools for codecs rather than dealing with them individually.

Anyway, K-Lite should have installed a whole section in your Start menu.
    One icon being "Uninstall"
    Use that.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 24th Aug 2011 at 04:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    [QUOTE=AlanHK;2101672]
    Hello all.

Use that.

ok so its that easy? hitting that uninstall will remove all elements of k-lite because when reading this thread i got the impression that codec packs leave trails behind

thanks for quick reply
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The whole point of a codec pack is that it provides management tools for codecs rather than dealing with them individually.
    I'm sorry, but that's just BS spin and revisionist history. The point of codec packs was because people were too lazy to install required codecs one by one, and opted instead to just cram a computer full of all codecs, not fully understanding digital video. As such, the codec packs often install conflicting messes on your system, which octopus files/settings all over the place. Sometimes the codec packs are so pathetic that the codecs within the pack conflict!

It would be great if a "management system" existed! But it does not.

i got the impression that codec packs leave trails behind
    Not just "trails" but more like "cancers" on your a/v subsystem in the OS. Sometimes damage is so bad the only way to fix the problem is by re-formatting the computer and starting over. Or doing a repair install of the OS, and manually removing tons of files and registry entries. FUN!
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 24th Aug 2011 at 20:22.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

i got the impression that codec packs leave trails behind
    Not just "trails" but more like "cancers" on your a/v subsystem in the OS. Sometimes damage is so bad the only way to fix the problem is by re-formatting the computer and starting over. Or doing a repair install of the OS, and manually removing tons of files and registry entries. FUN!
    yeah, i am starting to notice some of the effects on my system, so u got a best solution, it seems like the only thing i can do is uninstall k-lite and hope for best huh?>, anything else i can do?

not sure if u read my original post on here? for example, if i am able to find this "hardware tab" for "Sounds and Multimedia", which codecs should i def not remove?

ill take any help from anyone,
    Last edited by Dogpoundz; 24th Aug 2011 at 21:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry, but that's just BS spin and revisionist history.
    You're not sorry and you have no clue about the subject.
    It's not about "history" but a current version.
    Which I have used and you haven't.

Your knowledge is limited to repeating 10-year-old anecdotes that have no relevance to any current software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use that.

ok so its that easy? hitting that uninstall will remove all elements of k-lite because when reading this thread i got the impression that codec packs leave trails behind

thanks for quick reply
    Some people have been preaching a holy war against codec packs for decades.
    Use your own judgement as to who to believe.

The uninstall will at least try to restore codecs to their previous state.
    Removing codecs individually is more likely to leave a damaged system as the codec pack may have changed settings that will not be reversed if you simply rip its components out.

K-Lite installs several standard codecs and provides tools to configure them.
    However I don't know if its the best for Win 7.
    If you're not confident in managing individual codecs, Shark's Win7codecs is well regarded (though apparently it includes some adware which you can remove).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're not sorry and you have no clue about the subject. It's not about "history" but a current version. Which I have used and you haven't. Your knowledge is limited to repeating 10-year-old anecdotes that have no relevance to any current software.
    I think you need to remember who you're talking to.

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

K-Lite is just as worthless now as it was ~8 years ago (not 10) when it first surfaced as a "helper" for Kazaa members crying about the inability to watch their ill-gotten movie downloads.

I keep testing systems around just for the sole purpose of, well .... testing. As far as I'm concerned, codec packs do just as much system damage as any other malware. It may as well just be renamed "K-Lite Codec Virus". Nothing has changed.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 24th Aug 2011 at 23:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're not sorry and you have no clue about the subject. It's not about "history" but a current version. Which I have used and you haven't. Your knowledge is limited to repeating 10-year-old anecdotes that have no relevance to any current software.
    I think you need to remember who you're talking to.
    We've been through this several times before, unfortunately, so I have no problem remembering.

Your stories are all variations of:
    "Ten years ago this guy used a codec pack and his system was screwed.
    Therefore codec packs are the work of satan and anyone who uses one is an idiot."
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ok so this is all way before my time,

so i guess just to be safe, all i did was uninstall klite through its own self uninstall option (That should not be a problem right, alanhk or lordsmurf or anyone?)

and i installed the 5 or so codecs recommended in the beginning of this thread
    HOWEVER, ALAN or SMURF , there is no way i would be able to manage codecs individually, i figured download these codecs and thatll be good for 99.999% of movies, what do u guys think?

The reason i at least believed i was having codecs issues was because

ive had various problems with video encoding/viewing/subtitle stuff, they're intermittent (meaning second attempt with same exact procedure and problem gets solved), and the problems are now appearing after years of problem-free, which is why i thought it might be because of the codecs,

Just as an example,

I used to be able to add subs with Subtitle creator and pgcedit for years with no problem, then one day i get an error message, (with adding no new video software whatsoever to my computer) however, error message went away on future attempts, but then kept coming back off and on, Now my computers at the point where I get the message all the time, so pretty much cant use SC anymore, but like i said i am extreme newbie
    Last edited by Dogpoundz; 25th Aug 2011 at 00:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    and i installed the codecs recommended in the beginning of this thread

Just as an example,

I used to be able to add subs with Subtitle creator and pgcedit for years with no problem, then one day i get an error message, (with adding no new video software whatsoever to my computer) however, error message went away on future attempts, but then kept coming back off and on, Now my computers at the point where I get the message all the time, so pretty much cant use SC anymore, but like i said i am extreme newbie
    Now that you've uninstalled K-Lite, I advise you start a new thread and give details of your specific problem there. This thread is just bait for flame wars.

You need to give more information than "i get an error message" though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

thanks buddy, i actually have started a thread, and posted questions in a few other threads with my specific problems,

After reading this thread, i got scared u know that codecs may be the reason for so many glitches in my system, many are small and so random and intermittent u cant really post a thread for them, but what do u think about what i did?

meaning, now that i got rid of k lite, and downloaded those 5 codecs recommended in the beginning of the thread, will i be all set? ie, what are the odds of still stumbling upon a movie where i would have to install a codec, manage codecs, etc etc

if thats the case, id have no other choice but to go with a codec pack, u reccomend that shark one?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

thanks buddy, i actually have started a thread, and posted questions in a few other threads with my specific problems,

After reading this thread, i got scared u know that codecs may be the reason for so many glitches in my system, many are small and so random and intermittent u cant really post a thread for them, but what do u think about what i did?

meaning, now that i got rid of k lite, and downloaded those 5 codecs recommended in the beginning of the thread, will i be all set? ie, what are the odds of still stumbling upon a movie where i would have to install a codec, manage codecs, etc etc

if thats the case, id have no other choice but to go with a codec pack, u reccomend that shark one?
    I don't know what you've installed, but if you have ffdshow, that covers just about everything.
    (Current codec packs heavily depend on it.)
    You can analyse a file with say mediainfo and it will tell you what codecs are needed.

Also some playing apps, like VLC, have their own built-in codecs that can play just about anything without having to use Windows codecs at all.

I don't use Win7 or Shark, but those that do recommend it. See their forum : http://shark007.net/forum/ for any questions.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 25th Aug 2011 at 01:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't know what you've installed, but if you have ffdshow, that covers just about everything.
    (Current codec packs heavily depend on it.)
    You can analyse a file with say mediainfo and it will tell you what codecs are needed.

Also some playing apps, like VLC, have their own built-in codecs that can play just about anything without having to use Windows codecs at all.

I don't use Win7 or Shark, but those that do recommend it. See their forum : http://shark007.net/forum/ for any questions.
    hmmm, damn good advice, that is if i run into a movie that wont play with one of my codecs just use VLC, instead of using media info and goin thru all that hassle for like the 1% of the time that it may happen. (i alwayys knew VLC had built in codecs but been using WMP and MPC for years and like them too much to completely switch)

those codecs i have are:
    1) MP3 Codec (Radium)
    2) AC3 Filter
    3) MPEG2 Codec
    4) FFDShow
    5) OGG-Vorbis

and i previoulsy had XVID and kept it

PS,

so in ur opinion, i know u dont think there are problems with the codec packs, but assuming they do cause issues, i am in the clear by just simply uninstalling the k-lite?
    Last edited by Dogpoundz; 25th Aug 2011 at 02:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your stories are all variations of: "Ten years ago...
    I installed a codec pack 3 days ago, as part of testing procedures, and "fucked" would be an understatement for what happened to the computer (or more exact, a VM used for the test). Even the CCCP is a problem, though not quite as bad.

You're the ONLY person on this site who defends codec packs.
    Anybody can search this forum and find more recent, more detailed conversations on codec packs.
    Quote Quote