VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to stay below $130, if possible. I need one that works with dvd recorders and preferably accepts s-video. I'd also like to get one that removes all types of Macrovision.

I had a Sima SCC Color Corrector, but it didn't work with my dvd recorder.

Thanks in advance for any info.

-Brian
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bek
    Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to stay below $130, if possible. I need one that works with dvd recorders and preferably accepts s-video. I'd also like to get one that removes all types of Macrovision.

I had a Sima SCC Color Corrector, but it didn't work with my dvd recorder.

Thanks in advance for any info.

-Brian
    The cheapest TBC that I know of that actually works and removes all forms of copy protection (both Macrovision and CGMS/A) would be the AVT-8710 Time Base Corrector which can be purchased from the AV TOOL BOX website for $179.00 USD.

It works with NTSC as well as PAL and features both composite and S-Video input and output.

Don't have one myself but from what other users have said it sounds like a nice *fairly* cheap TBC that works well and gets rid of copy protection.

The only other TBC I know of that is as good (perhaps better) is the DataVideo TBC-1000 which can be purchased from many different on-line sites so you might want to check out something like PRICEGRABBER.COM to find the best price but most websites seem to sell this for close to $300 USD which makes it much more expensive than the AVT-8710 by AV TOOL BOX.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    Just for the record many people have stated that the AVT-8710 works great when using a stand alone DVD recorders since it will remove all forms of copy protection. This means you can copy from any source including copy protected VHS and DVD videos.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    John,

Wow, thanks for the detailed response. I'm going to read over the ones you recommend. Do you know anything about the one offered by facetvideo.com? I keep hearing good things about it.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have one of these and it works great.
    http://www.facetvideo.com/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Bob!

I have been all about you and your facetvideo clarifier tonight! You, and several others, are the main reasons I am buying it.

Does it defeat all forms of Macrovision?

Do you notice it helping the picture at all, or is it purely to beat Macrovision?

Thanks for any info!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by bek
    Hi, Bob!

I have been all about you and your facetvideo clarifier tonight! You, and several others, are the main reasons I am buying it.

Does it defeat all forms of Macrovision?

Do you notice it helping the picture at all, or is it purely to beat Macrovision?

Thanks for any info!
    My guess is it at least provides a level video output signal but I don't believe it does any video enhancement other than that. It does however defeat both macrovision and CGMS/A protection. I have used it to go from VCR to DVD recorder and DVD player to DVD recorder. Finally if your interested in the best possible transfer from VHS then one of the TBC units is the way to go unless like me you have a VCR with a built in TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Heck, I just ordered the thing. I guess I'll be okay--at least I can finally back up my VHS tapes to DVD.

I was a bit worried about the statement on facetvideo.com's site that said, "guaranteed to work with any ANALOG signal." Wouldn't a DVD player have a digital signal? I'm not sure what that's all about.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It refers to S-Video and Composite (RCA) inputs as video signal tranmitted via these ports is typically analog. In that sense the S-Video output from your DVD is analog as your TV typically can handle only analog (so the last stage from digital to your screen ia always analog).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah--thanks to everyone for all the help. It's been invaluable.

Goodnight, guys!

-Brian
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by bek
    Heck, I just ordered the thing. I guess I'll be okay--at least I can finally back up my VHS tapes to DVD.

I was a bit worried about the statement on facetvideo.com's site that said, "guaranteed to work with any ANALOG signal." Wouldn't a DVD player have a digital signal? I'm not sure what that's all about.
    It will work just fine for what you want to do. BTW I must have backed up 100 or so VHS tapes to DVDR (these were movies not yet on DVD) and in doing so I found very few (perhaps 10%) were copy protected. In fact some that I thought should have been protected were not.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have surprised as well at the number of videos not protected (Miami Vice, Pirates of Silicon Valley), although several of my favorites are (Phantasm 2 and 3).

Going to fix that soon enough, though.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I got that video clarifier from facetvideo myself after reading about it in these forums. It works as you guys said it would Thank you!

I was able to directly copy a DVD from my standalone DVD player (a sony) to my sharp dvd recorder using composite cables. I didn't try SVHS cables yet cause I didn't have one on me at the time. (yea dont ask, its a mess right now at my house).

I verified that without the clarifier in the loop, my sharp recorder refuses to record the dvd. it pops up a little message that says something like "cannot record"
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got mine in today and I'm pretty unhappy. I detailed my problems in another thread, so I won't bore you with it here, but basically there are multiple problems, the worst of which is that when I copied from VHS to DVD, it made the video "jittery." There was also rolling right before the video and on all VHS menus.

I emailed support and they confirmed the rolling is a problem for some people, but since it doesn't impact the quality of the recording itself, it's no big deal to them. I can live with that as well, but I don't think I can stand the "jittery" video...

They were kind enough to cross-ship me a replacement. I'll try that out, but if it has the same "jittery" problem, I will probably get a TBC instead.

Will update you guys when I get the replacement.

-Brian
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Macrovision should not be a problem unless you use one of the Macrovision "enabled" devices to capture. If your capture thing has no Macrovision built in (like AIW from ATI) you don't need a defeater to succefully capture. TBC's are OK for stabilizing the frame and equalizing chroma and luma. If your VCR has a good output all you need is a 40$ video enhancer you can buy at Circuit City or Best Buy. Check it out.
    It defeates Macrovision 1 and 2. I have Sima SCC but don't use it for VCR copy as DAC-100 I use and previously ADS Instant DVD have no Macrovision built in, so they totally ignore its presence. Copies are rock solid. What do you use for capture?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by proxyx99
    TBC's are OK for stabilizing the frame and equalizing chroma and luma. If your VCR has a good output all you need is a 40$ video enhancer you can buy at Circuit City or Best Buy.
    Only OK?

Well, it never hurts to add a TBC, no matter the problem. Remember that Macrovision and CGM/A, etc are all just artificial errors removed by a TBC. It will resync and remove real errors too.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Agree, but if the VCR/Cam output is good (no tracking issues) you won't see a difference. TBC is recommended for, say, video recoreded on one VCR and played back on another where frame issues may exist due to indiv. adjustment. Commercial tapes are generally OK so I don't see the need for TBC. TBC as a remedy for all problems is a myth, nothing else. I bought a commercial one by Fora (Ebay, they are cheap 50-200$).
    plenty of other manuf. as well. Sold it, as I did not need it.
    I suggest that the advice on equipment buy should be given by people who own one and can share their real life experiences, not beliefs.
    I owned Fora, have Sima SCC and the 40$ Macrovision "defeater". tested all and can say one thing. Buy a good VCR. That's it. And forget TBC, most people will never need it. Just like me, I use it maybe once a year.
    Lordsmurf, what do you own and what real-life experiences can you share with us, if any?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If your capture thing has no Macrovision built in (like AIW from ATI) you don't need a defeater to succefully capture.

Correction to my post: should be "like AIW from ATI DOES". ATI cards are not good for this purpose. They do have Macrovision circuit ( don't know if all models, but most do).[/quote]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by proxyx99
    Lordsmurf, what do you own and what real-life experiences can you share with us, if any?
    A lot of my current equipment (though not all) is listed in my profile, and I offer www.lordsmurf.com as my forum for sharing what I do and know.

I see many imperfections in all tapes, commercial or otherwise, and a TBC is often the cure. Tape is an imperfect format, and it shows really badly when digital transfer is done. TBC is not a cure-all, but I regard it as a cure-most given all my experiences.

Even most commercial VHS tapes suffer from "red/blue effect" where chroma/luma has separated or shifted. Especially anything more than 5 years old. Macrovision is an artificial error and causes more problem that you'd probably think, affecting other aspects of the video, not just AGC.

I work the full spectrum of sources, specializing in tape formats and modern broadcast formats.

The best ones are made by DataVideo. For home use, I see no reason to go beyond the TBC-1000. I've never needed anything more powerful than that, and at only $200-300, not a bad buy given the results. I could not do as well without one.

A good VCR (especially the JVC or comparable lines of S-VHS systems with video and audio filters) are also needed.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Where is the TBC-1000 for sale at $200? PriceGrabber lists it at $299.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bob W
    Where is the TBC-1000 for sale at $200? PriceGrabber lists it at $299.
    eBay, pawn shops, rare deals online ...
    normal price more towards the $300 mark
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought the TBC 1000 (Datavideo) and was not happy with it because it makes the video less sharp. Also if you have very bad video this product has problems stablizing it. Lots of jitters and fuzzy lines.

I then purchased a small item called an AVT-8710 this was the best puchase I made thus far in terms of TBC and video enhancement.

Not only does it clear the copy protection but it has image controls such as sharpness, contrast, brightness, color and tint. it works on PAL and NTSC sources. What FulciLives wrote in his earlier post was correct, this small device packs a punch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ejai
    I bought the TBC 1000 (Datavideo) and was not happy with it because it makes the video less sharp. Also if you have very bad video this product has problems stablizing it. Lots of jitters and fuzzy lines.
    That sounds like a defective unit. Rare, but it happens.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I recently purchased this item but perhaps I wont need...have not tested.
    I need to test a few things....the following fyi..

http://www.gocybershop.ca/product_details.asp?ID=1406
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No it was not a defected unit, several forums had people also mention the same findings. Most people don't care or don't look closely enough. But it does exist. At first I thought the same thing, that the unit was bad until I read a review about it on one of those digital video forums.
    Quote Quote  
  25. After many posts from people here about the "Video Clarifier" from http://www.facetvideo.com I decided to order myself one. My problem is the same as everybody else: I have several factory made videos (movies, concerts etc etc etc) not available on DVD that I want to transfer using my Philips DVDR75 DVD recorder, but can't do it becasue i get the "COPY PROT" message.

I ordered it on Monday and got it in the mail Friday, and it really works!! I have been able to transfer the entire Star Wars Trilogy (pre special edition) from macrovision protected VHS to DVD, among others. It's a worthwhile investment, and more than likely it is one of many solutions to defeat copy protection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt that FacetVideo clarifier does much more than the $40 SIMA SED-CM that can still be found at many Best Buy stores. They work well as a weak TBC when weak correction is what is needed.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I doubt that FacetVideo clarifier does much more than the $40 SIMA SED-CM that can still be found at many Best Buy stores. They work well as a weak TBC when weak correction is what is needed.
    The SIMA doesn't work at all on VHS tapes like Starwars, Startrek, or many more. I had over 60 tapes that I couldn't back/convert to DVDR with the SIMA. Thanks to the clarifier they are all done now.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Video Clarifier defeats CGMS/A. The Sima does not. Thus, you can record protected tapes to DVD-R with the Clarifier. You can't with the Sima.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using the Clarifier for a while now, and it does indeed ignore all copy protection that I've run across, but the final result is that some videos tend to "jittery" up and down slightly. It's not real bad, but for someone picky like me, it is distracting.

I've learned to try the copy without the Clarifier first, and if there's no copy protection, make the copy without it for a better picture.

At least it does work!

-Brian
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can always stack TBC's, especially if they do varying things.

I've stacked my SIMA SED-CM, DataVideo TBC-1000 and JVC 9800 TBC to get the desired purification before.

Removes jitter, anti-copy, and several other things causing problems, with excellent clean video being fed to the capture card.
    Quote Quote