VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    You can always stack TBC's, especially if they do varying things.

I've stacked my SIMA SED-CM, DataVideo TBC-1000 and JVC 9800 TBC to get the desired purification before.

Removes jitter, anti-copy, and several other things causing problems, with excellent clean video being fed to the capture card.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by bek
    I've been using the Clarifier for a while now, and it does indeed ignore all copy protection that I've run across, but the final result is that some videos tend to "jittery" up and down slightly. It's not real bad, but for someone picky like me, it is distracting.

I've learned to try the copy without the Clarifier first, and if there's no copy protection, make the copy without it for a better picture.

At least it does work!

-Brian
    So the replacement clarifier had the same problem? Next time I do a VHS conversion I will look real hard to see if I'm getting the same jitter. I also don't use the device unless my recorder won't let me do the backup. One thing that bugs me is without an input the output of the device rolls on the TV screen. Anyway I went ahead and ordered a real TBC the AVT-8700 and will use the clarifier in another room and setup.

I have been considering buying another gadget or video scaler from here. http://www.theprojectedimage.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TPII&Pro...t_Code=AVT3800

and I have this nifty DVD player ordered. http://www.vinc.com/product.asp?id=31&PID=21 . These are my Christmas gifts to myself.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, has the same problem, although maybe not quite as severe as the first Clarifer had.

That's a nice looking TBC--please let me know how it works! I am curious. I almost got one, but I only needed something to convert a few my my remaining VHS tapes to DVD, so I opted to go cheap (I hate VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've been following this thread closely as I wanted to store a couple of rented DVD's that are already late onto my HDD till I could watch them. I tried my old video clarifier that worked for VHS to VHS many years ago. But it didn't do the trick.

Finally I took the boards advice, and tried copying on my pc. It was suprisingly easy with DVDencrypter, and DVDshrink for the DVD-9. Obviously I will destroy the disks I've made after viewing them. But better value than buying a $300 clarifier!
    Quote Quote  
  5. .......obviously....wink/wink
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    May I suggest one I'm using for my
    Panasonic DMR E80 and Philips DVDR-75
    http://www.dimax.com.ua/English/dvd_recorder.htm
    Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Anyone tried the new Canopus 300? $$ but it might be a good fit here. I have not tried it but have read a lot about the 100. The 300 has analog correction built in. Does anyone know how it handles Macrovision and the like? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by plusco
    Anyone tried the new Canopus 300? $$ but it might be a good fit here. I have not tried it but have read a lot about the 100. The 300 has analog correction built in. Does anyone know how it handles Macrovision and the like? Thanks.
    Holy crap I didn't even know there was an ADVC-300 but I just looked at the CANOPUS website and wow it sounds rather impressive.

Not only does it have a built-in TBC but also a 3D Y/C comb filter and digital 3D noise reduction etc.

I suggest everyone take a look at this thing. Sounds VERY nice. According to the Canopus webiste this only became avilable in DEC 2003

I admit I haven't looked "hard" but I found it on one USA based website called THE ELECTRONIC MAILBOX and they have it listed for $549.95 USD

Sounds a "bit" expensive but considering all the features I'd dare say it is worth it.

Damn just when I thought I had enough saved up for the ADVC-100 this thing comes out ... now a longer wait for me!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whoa... $550. Might be worth it to a professional or ultra-serious hobbyist, but that's a lot of moolah. I'd like to have it, but I had a hard time justifying $100 for the Clarifier.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Not really, consider >1000$ DVStorm2, Matrox RT plus plenty other devices at semipro quality from other manuf. All you get here is the front end, no rendering support plus no hardware encoding. The price is about right for what it offers. If it was not a Canopus product I'd say 350$ is to be expected from other less prominent makers. At this price range it would be a steal. Since I'm not the biggest fan of Canopus codec and Canopus line (after owning DVStorm and Amber) I would welcome here some competition.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well who knows ... maybe there will be a DAC-300 from DataVideo just like they now have the DAC-100 which is pretty much a clone of the ADVC-100 but cheaper and based on user comments uses a different DV codec than the Canopus.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well. this is incredibly interesting to me. I have a boatload of VHS tapes that I want to transfer to DVD - many of them not out on DVD and dripping with macrovision.

I have one of the "old style" macrovision defeaters. It seems to work fine on some of the tapes, but an astonishingly tough nut to crack has been the Star Trek pre-recorded VHS tapes I have. My lil' box can't fix the brightening/darkening problem with those.

I'm looking at a fora TBC - hey proxy99 - does that fora TBC need an external synch device or do you just plug in your devices and go? I've heard some of the stand-alones need an external frame synch.

I'm also checking out the one ella suggested - the DVD red pro. Ella: Did you ever try it with a VHS macrovision protected tape, or are you strictly doing DVD to DVD copying?

The clarifier looks mighty attractive at this point...but still don't know if it will do the trick for me.

Thanks for any and all input.

How do I add a picture to my name/profile on these posts (can you tell I'm new here?) :P
    Quote Quote  
  13. The clarifier works with Star Trek.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks Bob! That's good news!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by popster
    I'm looking at a fora TBC - hey proxy99 - does that fora TBC need an external synch device or do you just plug in your devices and go? I've heard some of the stand-alones need an external frame synch.
    That was just plug and go, if you had BNC cables. They were driving me crazy. ForA has had color and sync adjustments. Unfortunately no s-video. I'd rather buy one with s-video in-out. I bought ForA TBC and Sima SCC over 2 years ago for a close to 40 VHS tapes project. Ended up using on 2 if I recall correctly. Did a job well but all my tapes were commercial so I could have achieved same effect with video head adjustment. Right now I have a dedicated VCR that I use for just that (always open for manual head tinkering). I sold TBC after capturing all my stuff (kept Sima SCC don't know why, no use for it). I'm now almost VHS-free (no tapes) all DVD's. Tapes that I captured then I stored on multispan CDR's for future burning (over 90 pcs's). Year later I bought DVD-R drive and finished my project.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I was pretty much set on getting The Clarifier™ until I saw your post
    BEK:
    "I've been using the Clarifier for a while now, and it does indeed ignore all copy protection that I've run across, but the final result is that some videos tend to "jittery" up and down slightly. It's not real bad, but for someone picky like me, it is distracting."

The thing is, I'm really picky too and if the resulting picture suffers from the jitters, I would probably not be pleased with the purchase. Does this happen in most instances that you've used it .. say 80% of the time?

The only other one I can maybe see spending a similiar amount of $ on is this one:

http://www.dimax.com.ua/English/dvd_recorder.htm

... but with only one other person here suggesting it, I'm a bit reluctant, especially since it's a UK outfit (hassle with possible return, etc ..)

Anybody using either? More comments? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's no pattern that I can see. It does it consistently on some movies, like my Phantasm II, for example, but not on others. I finally decided to unplug it when the movie isn't protected, and only use it to defeat videos that have Macrovision.

Anyone with any attention to detail will notice it (my girlfriend doesn't notice the video jumping, but it's extremely clear to me).

I talked to the company once, and they said something about the frequency of some Clarifiers conflicts with the frequency of my VHS. I have no idea about what that might mean.

It's not perfect, but for the price, it works okay. I guess I can live with it, for the money.

-Brian
    Quote Quote  
  18. I bought this unit recently myself only to copy some handful of tapes which I could not copy to DVD on my panasonic DMR E30 previously.

(Previous Methods - Built in VCR Video Stabilizer, Old Analog Black Box Unit )

Clarifier did the trick on these tapes but video was jittery as mentioned before.

Note: The Video Stabilizer function built into my JVC HRA55U VCR also adds the same Jittery video effect but removed some protection allowing copying to DVD

I was not too happy myself with the jittery video although the DVD recorder seemed to make the final recording a little better.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hmmm, so there really is nothing out there then (for under $125 say) that will do the trick with Macro 1 & 2 without producing some problems in the process? Looks that way. Back to thinking about the AVT-8710. But then again, that's about $175, yes?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by quasar1963
    Hmmm, so there really is nothing out there then (for under $125 say) that will do the trick with Macro 1 & 2 without producing some problems in the process? Looks that way. Back to thinking about the AVT-8710. But then again, that's about $175, yes?
    I have the AVT-8710 and it works just great. I also have the "Clarifier" and don't see any of the jitter others are talking about.

BTW since I don't need the Clarifier anymore if anyone wants it make me an offer.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to stay below $130, if possible. I need one that works with dvd recorders and preferably accepts s-video. I'd also like to get one that removes all types of Macrovision.

I had a Sima SCC Color Corrector, but it didn't work with my dvd recorder.

Thanks in advance for any info.

-Brian
    Old post wow the best digital video stabilizer is dimax grex 7.4 from xdimax.com got one on amazon. but got to type in digital video stabilizer in the search box under electronics to get it to show up. Only $89.00 dollars plus shipping.
    Quote Quote