VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I created an AVI video file with Ulead Cool 3D V3.5 with output resolution 720x480 and frame rate 30fps and applied NTSC video filter. The video file was inserted in Pinnacle Studio 8 as part of the entire project of creating a DVD. At the final step when I selected Create DVD the vertical bar of the timeline stopped at the beginning of the AVI file and the following message appeared: "The selected clip has non-standard Video Frame Rate thus cannot be encoded to MPEG". Isn't standard frame rate for NTSC video 30fps? The default setting of Ulead Cool 3D is 15fps, but I wanted to create smooth video and changed the rate to 30fps. Do I need to create the file with 29.97fps? The process of creating the AVI file takes over one hour, and that's why I wanted to ask for advice before trying different frame rate.

Please kindly advise what frame rate I should use for the output file and avoid this message. Also, what is the proper output resolution for the AVI file when creating DVD? 640x480 or 720x480? The default setting in Ulead is 720x480 for DV NTSC full frame video MPEG-2, but this resolution has no 4:3 or 16:9 ratio. And finally, should I apply NTSC video filter to the file in Cool 3D? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not familiar with Ulead so just few words in general.
    NTSC for DVD is 29.97 720x480 frame. It will be displayed as full screen (4:3) on a regular TV. Selecting 16:9 will create widescreen output with bars on a reg. TV. It will play fullscreen on 16:9 display.
    If encoder says the frame rate is not good then it does it for a reason.
    If you fixed it already by selecting 29.97 thats fine. If not, describe your project/workflow in more detail.
    Quote Quote  
  3. proxyx99:

Thanks for your suggestions. I re-created the AVI file with 29.97fps and it worked well with Pinnacle Studio.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Pleasure to hear it. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It is worth to mention that the latest Pinnacle Studio 8 update patch (8.10.4) improved the stability of the software dramatically. I had my computer working through the entire Sunday from 10 a.m. through 11:30 p.m. creating a family DVD with Studio 8 from editing, adding transitions, titles, audio, etc. to burning DVD disk. I did not have a single crash throughout the whole day. It took approx. 6 hours to render the project for outputting to DVD (53 minutes in best quality mode), but having the program running without any crash saved me a lot of time.

Good job, Pinnacle! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is worth to mention that the latest Pinnacle Studio 8 update patch (8.10.4) improved the stability of the software dramatically
    Oh my God, Pinnacle are starting to listen to their customers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was having minor success with Pinnacle 8 until I installed the 8.10.4 update. Furballed my efforts to capture. In all fairness to Pinnacle, their product probably was not the main problem but the configuration of my system.
    Studio 8 went back to Pinnacle not so much because I could not get it working but because of the lack of web support, the complexity of contacting them and their support documentation.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It is a good idea to run the reg clean utility from their website before reinstalling. Then it is a pristine instalation. Keep in mind Studio 8 easily conflicts with other programs (also of Pinnacle origin). It's fussy, but very good for basic editing with excellent DV quality.
    Quote Quote  
  9. tig2002: in your experience, how is quality produced with Studio 8 to render, etc... with that of TMPGenc, if you had tested them?

I uses Studio 8 to edit, but 2 out of 5 times when l start the program up, it reports a proplem (don't remebemer the exact stuff, but causes my Win XP prof, to ask me if l want to send the error report to Microsoft! If l restart the Studio again, its fine!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried using Studio 8 (with their DC 10 capture card) for 6 months (including 2-3 weeks with version 8.10). Versions 8.5 and 8.7.7 betaIt work great for VCDs. 8.10 almost doubled the time to render a VCD. And in that 6 months I only managed to make about 14 DVDs. Generally it'd take 6 hours to render a DVD- if it got that far without crashing. More common was render for 4-5 hours and crash. Render 3-4 hours and crash. Render 5-6 hours and crash. Then after 3-4 days of that it might actually complete a DVD.

Now I use a Snazzi capture card and TMPGEnc DVD Author. Snazzi aptures in mpg. After editing and creating a menu in TMPGenc it takes 20 minutes to create the final disk. In less than a month I've made over 35 DVDs without a crash.

If I look really hard I can find spots on a DVD where the quality with Studio 8 is slightly better than what I get with Snazzi and TMPGEnc. But the difference is so slight that it's not worth an extra 5-1/2 hours for every DVD I make (that's 5-1/2 hours if it never hung up- in reality I'm now saving about 40-50 hours on every DVD).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It seems that MPEG2 encoder in Pinnacle was not the highest priority for developers. I use it only for DV editing where it really shines.
    Looks like the application interface plus all the supporting threads take so much resources that MPEG encoder struggles to stay afloat.
    I think that using standalone (separate) encoder has huge advantage because it usually needs very little from your system to function properly (not talking about encoding). There is no overhead to maintain. Just pure calculation, and that makes the system "happier".
    It is a common issue with all inexpensive video editors (Magix Video etc.). They are not to strong in setting their priorities and often crash while encoder drains your CPU and system power.
    I haven't checked MPEG2 encoding quality in Pinnacle Trex but it looks like a good app. I use it for MPEG2 to DV Avi transcoding with better results then any other Pro grade app. I have ever tried.
    Quote Quote  
  12. chrisc: I have never tried TMPGenc, so I cannot compare the quality of these products. Actually this was the first time when I created a DVD quality video since all my previous projects were outputted to DV tape before purchasing Optorite DD0203 dual format DVD burner. The quality of video outputted to DV tape is excellent and identical to the original contents of the DV tape before capturing to the computer with Pinnacle Studio. The quality of video outputted to DVD is excellent as well, although I noticed that some fade-in's and fade-out's are not as smooth as on the commercial DVD's. But, again, I think the quality is excellent.

As I mentioned earlier, my Studio 8.10.4 has never crashed during the entire editing-rendering-burning process, although based on my previous experience of crashing with earlier versions of Studio I was manually saving the project every five minutes just to make sure I don't loose my valuable time after crash. I did not have any opened application while working with Studio 8, and also disabled antivirus software. I think that Pinnacle Studio is very sensitive to hardware and software configurations, and that’s why many people have bad experience with this product. But to me, it works very well (knock on wood), and I like the features like title deko and, especially, Hollywood FX. Of course the editing and titling features cannot be compared to latest versions of higher end Ulead Media Studio or Adobe Premiere products, but for family movies, in my opinion, Pinnacle Studio is much easier to use (especially in frame, not timeline view), it has easier and quicker access to clip editing, Smart Sound is nice, and the transition effects with Hollywood FX are pretty impressive.
    Quote Quote