VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here's one for you folks. Got a newRCA HDLP50w151 DLP HDTV. Planned on using the DVI port for input from AIW 8500dv. Using a single link DVI-D cable. Everything works like a charm but one large thing. My OS (W2KP) only shows 640x480 res avaliable from the TV. AIW says it can deliver 19xx by 16xx. But the lousy set will not accept anything above 480. RCA is far from helpful - almost to the point I am going to take this set back. Maybe I best clarify - The AIW taskbar icon only shows 640x480. I can't change above 480 or the sys locks. The OS always installs this as a PNP monitor, with 640x480 out only. AIW shows output as a Dig. Flat Screen (640x480). Any input as to what is wrong that this won't output above 640x480? Runs fantastic in 480 - that ain't Hi REs.

Jeff Crawford
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like drivers not installed...
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Appreciate the input from a notable as yourself. I agreed with you completely. I tried changing to a number of different drivers, remember this is a HDTV, and as such RCA provides no drivers. No matter what driver I installed, including Dig flat panels , etc. when I attempt to go to higher res, lites out. The TV will not sync up anymore and the OS crashes. Can restart but OS did not revert to old 640x480 rate and sys freezes during boot(right after the W2KP banner "Windows Starting". If I unplug the DVI the OS will blind boot all the way, I can tell by audio. Plugging the DVI in at that point again results in lock up. I am beginning to think it is in the DVI single link cable. I am going to try a dual link. What do u think? Again if anyone has a hunch, I'll try it.

Jeff
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No drivers? That sucks.
    I've never had trouble outputting my ATI to dozens of monitors or tv sets.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks again. It seems that under the buyer not satisfied clause in the sales slip - this baby is going back. i find too many problems with this unit. Dual link DVI didn't change a thing. Seems there may have been a good reason RCA didn't return any E's to me after my many requests for help. I suspect that to make a cheaper set they cut the corner on DVI input - opting for only 480, probably hoping the average customer will be no smarter. Then I find that the unit will not sync up properly to the ol cable scrambler because you can only use input 1 or antenna A. In 1 has only a composite and Ant A is RF. Go figure how you are to receive a HD signal thru those babies. In short I would stay away from this model if you are interested in true HDTV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    weird -- that set uses the latest mustang II HD DLP chip (the projector inside it is really an infocus X1 projector, which are quite good) ..
    but its max HD resolution is listed as 720p (not 1080i) ...

anyway -- that set requires a DVi-HDTV connector which has the extra 2 pins ... or a VGA -> HD Component converter, or a
    DVI -> HD Component converter (ati sells this),

i'm just looking at its specs .. http://www.rca.com/documents/16146820_EN_702288_25.pdf
    i don't have one //
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    also -- you can get HD through the firewire port on that baby ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well here is the dismal answer for my problem. this is a post for all that are interested in following this thread. This is from the horses mouth, RCA's tech dept.
    This unit is HD only in it's final resolution! The highest input available thru any means is the DVI-HDTV. Guess what it is only 480i capable. According to the very knowledgeable person at RCA the component, composite, S-vid inputs are all lower ( in the 180 line range). BUMMER. RCA takes the available analog or Digital signal and processes it up to 720 to 1080 range by internal algorithyms to a final max res of 1920x1080. They told me if I want to have a true 1080I signal in I have to purchase an external converter. Gee this is true magic. Take a 1080 input siganl and convert to 480 so you can get 1080 on the screen????

In short this isn't a true HDTV - so forwarned u b. Stay away from this one if you want to input a HD signal from you're HTPC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i went and checked one of these units out (due to the nice dlp chip they are using) and it had no problem playing true 720p from a DVI-HD cable from my HD server
    Quote Quote  
  10. BJ_M thanks for thoughts. I am somewhat dissapointed. I have gotten a ton of info - most negative on this set since I got it a week ago.

First the RCA rep stated the max input signal is 480 via DVI, that I CAN confirm. Nothing above this work. Second the lower vid ports , YPrPb, S-vid, composite are worse. This seems to fit what I find. Tried S-vid and Comp. and the video was horrible. 3rd , all inputs from 2 thru 5 have reduced features, noise reduction etc. 4th - the DLP lamp supposedly onlylast aprox 2000 hrs, instead of the 6000-8000 claimed. This is a $338 + ship from RCA.

The key to this beast is that somehow RCA(Thomason) has produced a set that gives a good looking output, what we all want, by cutting corners. Thsi seems to hurt us if we want to do more than just channel surf.

Jeff
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yea -- the lamp thing put me off also -- many are reporting even less hours than that ... and though the dlp chip and projection guts are first rate (go check out a x1 projector - GREAT picture) -- somehow rca seems to have wacked it ....

you can buy a brand new X1 projector for 900-1100$ btw ... plus a high end stewart screen for 500$
    Quote Quote