VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM

What is a Video Encoder?What does it do? If a VCD is not encoded, how can I make it encode? I know this may sound a silly questiones to others but I DON'T KNOW. Please share your knowledge with others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My first reaction was to refer you to the guides section. Then I thought that perhaps the articles section was more relevant and decided to have a look so that I could include a relevant link.

What I realized is that with moderate effort, I couldn't find any relevant article

So, let me give you some brief introduction.

A Video Encoder is a program (or can also be a hardware device where the software is implemented as firmware) that takes uncompressed video frames and encodes them using a particular method. Depending on the method for encoding we have different encoders (i.e. MPEG-1, MPEG-2, Windows Media, RealVideo, and the list is long).

Different encoding standards exist for different applications. For example, MPEG-1 is the first attempt for an industry standard VIDEO encoding method, which was "superceeded" by MPEG-2. However, as MPEG-1 was already used widely for video applications (the Video CD or VCD), and because MPEG-2 is backwards compatible with MPEG-1, both MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 are still alive. Both are used for creating encoded video that can be recorded on disks (VCD, SVCD, ... , DVD), while MPEG-2 is also used for encoding video for broadcast over digital TV (an example is HDTV).

The other encoding formats, like Windows Media and RealVideo were primarily aimed towards the streaming applications, which means encoded video that can be "broadcasted" over the Internet. However, nothing prohibits you from encoding video in these formats and view it on your PC with Media Player or a suitable player.

The primary common property of all video encoders is that (with different ways) they compress Video, i.e. they make uncompressed Video into Compressed that occupies significantly less space per second.

Some encoding standards are better in compression than others, so if you want to make a video file absolutely as small as possible, you may decide to use a particular type of encoder.

Other encoding standards have different merits, for example better editability - allowing you to cut and paste segments of the video anywhere you chose. These, unfortunatelly achieve this by not achieving huge compression factors.

You will find some "encoders" as standalone applications (like Tmpgenc, Mainconcept, for MPEG-1 and 2), or as codecs (like DivX, xvid, etc).

An encoder that is built as a codec can be used through other standalone editing or playback programs (like VirtualDUB). Codecs usually provide with a user interface to select both encoding and decoding settings. Some very old and obsolete codecs don't allow user settings to be selected.

Standalone encoders are primarily MPEG encoders and the only reason I can think of this implementation is that playback of MPEG-1/2 is standard and built into several applications. On the other hand, programs like Mainconcept - which is a standalone MPEG-1/2 encoder, also provide you with an MPEG-1/2 decoder codec that is used for playback with e.g. Media Player.

Regarding your second question (If a VCD is not encoded, how can I encode it), well, it's obviously the result of your first question.

A VCD is a disk containing video encoded according to the VCD standard, which is MPEG-1 at 352 x 288 (PAL) or 352 x 240 (NTSC).

A VCD that is not encoded is not a VCD, so perhaps you are refering to an un-encoded AVI file.

After reading the above explanations, perhaps you can find answers in the guides. Or if you don't, repost with more details on what you have.
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    simply put: an encoder changes the resolution and the bitrate of a movie.
    This is used to change the compression of the movie.A lot of codecs(en-coders and decoders) exist.For VCD you have to use mpeg-1.
    But on other posts, you said, you allready made VCDs.How did you do that withoput knowing, what a codec is?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2 good replies. :c) Perhaps one of you could submit to the Glossary.

https://www.videohelp.com/glossary
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    The Rogue Pixel: Pixels are like elephants. Every once in a while one of them will go nuts.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to, but how?

Video Encoding:
    The process for changing a video from one format to another by altering the resolution and/or the bitrate.Normally the result of this process is a movie with a different compression.For a proper encoding you need a piece of Software and/or Hardware, which is called codec (encoder/decoder).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe you post them here: https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=31

:c)
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    The Rogue Pixel: Pixels are like elephants. Every once in a while one of them will go nuts.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Reading the first post again: maybe it's not a question of encoding but authoring.
    There might be an existing mpeg-1 file (properly encoded VCD stream) but no VCD structure.To produce such a structure (in order to play the VCD on a standalone player) the video must be authored and burned.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM

WOW!
    Thanks for all the informatioons!I am really grateful at it! Esp SaSi. Thank you!!!
    Quote Quote