VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When I first started out making DVD rips to SVCD, I tried making one with subtitles and was successful. But, that was many months ago and I have forgotten the steps and cannot find the guide that I believe Sefy made. I've been searching and finding many methods of making subtitles. However, I'm stuck on the first step, actually ripping the subtitles from a DVD. I know I have to go to the stream processing tab and check off enable stream processing then select the audio and subtitles I want. But, then I'm not sure which other option I need to tick off, direct stream copy/demux to extra file/extract to new vob. Any help using smartripper or another program to rip the subtitles would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thanks Sefy for the reply, though I had pretty much given up on the post since nobody was responding. I guess they either had no clue as to what I was talking about or wanted me to get off my ass and use the search feature, which I had prior to the post. But, I wanted your guide (I think it was your guide, anyways) because it had worked and I wanted to compare and see which methods were the quickest and pretty much the easiests. I do want to say that it was your guide that I used to make my first SVCD many months ago, so thanks alot.
    Quote Quote  
  3. From what you've said, I can't figure out if you still need assistance, or are you ok with the guides ?
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, Sefy,

I looked up your guides on Ripping with SmartRipper (specifically for subtitles).

I cannot see how SmartRipper can rip the subtitles, though.

Whenever I tried to demux or direct stream copy the subtitle stream only, I end up with a useless stream (it appears not to have any timing information at all).

Subtitle Ripping - depending on how one defines it - can be done with subtitle decoding programs only, e.g. SubRip. And I define subtitle ripping as creating a list of subpicture files (graphical) with a script file or creating an SSA script to re-render with a suitable program, like MaestroSBT or similar.

I would be very interested if SmartRipper has a way of extracting subpictures in a usable format. Do you know how?
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've basically moved onto trying out other methods of getting subtitles onto my svcds.
    Quote Quote  
  6. When you rip the VOB's using ANY ripping tool, it also includes the SubTitles, the method for doing so would be rather complicated, but a bit like this:

- Smart Ripper
    - DVD2AVI
    - VFAPI Converter
    - VirtualDub + VobSub Plugin
    - TMPGEnc (or any other encoder)

I've tested and used this method in the guide itself. You can also extract the Subs from the VOB files using other programs as well.

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sefy
    When you rip the VOB's using ANY ripping tool, it also includes the SubTitles, the method for doing so would be rather complicated, but a bit like this:

- Smart Ripper
    - DVD2AVI
    - VFAPI Converter
    - VirtualDub + VobSub Plugin
    - TMPGEnc (or any other encoder)

I've tested and used this method in the guide itself. You can also extract the Subs from the VOB files using other programs as well.
    Sefy,

I was obviously not clear about what I mean with subtitle ripping. The process you describe would create, I understand, permanent subtitles burnt in the movie. What I meant with ripping was to produce a sequence of bitmaps with the subtitles plus a script to go with them. The only way I am able to do this - failsafe - is to rip the DVD on to the HD and then use SmartRipper to direct-stream-copy the movie video with subtitles to a new VOB. Then use SubRip to create the subtitle script and extract bitmaps.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm rather puzzled by what you said here:

Originally Posted by SaSi
    The only way I am able to do this - failsafe - is to rip the DVD on to the HD and then use SmartRipper to direct-stream-copy the movie video with subtitles to a new VOB. Then use SubRip to create the subtitle script and extract bitmaps.
    What do you need to first rip the movie, and then rip it again to a new VOB ? can't you just use SubRip on your Original DVD movie instead of the ripped movie ? after all, I assume if you ripped the movie, you still got the original

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, again I was not clear, I guess.

I assume SubRip will not work on a DVD disk protected by CSS. So the contents must be ripped to HD. I use DVDDecrypter for that. I could use SmartRipper but it failes some times.

I could then use SubRip on the VOB files directly, but some DVDs appear to be authored in such a way that subpicture timing gets way out of order.

I have found that extracting the main movie - or whatever it is that I want to remove - to a separate VOB will practically eliminate this problem. Not that it is a problem all the times, though.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi,

How to select (I mean select without editing those characters in subrip) a subtitle from DVD and convert it with DVD picture to VCD?

Thank you,
    Jean
    Quote Quote  
  11. Personaly I use the VobSub plugin in VirtualDub and FrameServe into any Encoder I want, gives me Subtitles without any editing what so ever.

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Quote Quote