VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Converting Home Movies over to DVD and naturally the VHS tapes contain quite a bit of audio noise on the soundtrack. Did many searches and asked around on other forums (including this one) and got no replies. After a few hours of searching, I came across this program.

http://www.goldwave.com

This is a shareware program that I found very useful for removing Audio Noise. Those static pops, hisses and otherwise annoying sounds you get when you capture over from a VHS/8mm source.

So just load up your captured video into Adobe Premier (or Virtual Dub?) and save the Audio to a .WAV File. Load up GoldWave, drag and drop the .WAV into the work area. From the pull down menus, select Effects, then Filter, then POP/CLICK using the Agressive preset. After its done, run the Noise Reduction filter, using the Average at 75% preset. When done, save to .WAV and import it into Adobe for latter editing.

Bit of a hassle, but this makes a HUGE difference in sound quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    depends on your budget - Waves makes a really nice set of plugins, the Restoration Bundle, but they are a couple of hundred bucks...

...and that doesn't include the basic editing application that you plug them in to...
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"
    Quote Quote  
  3. I use a program called cool edit....I have been making music longer than video editing and cool edit has all the features you want in cleaning up wav files clip pop restoration hiss/noise reduction, normalistaion, you name it can just about do it....I highly rate this software..it is the best wav editing software ....besides industry stuff like pro tools cubase ....etc
    How long could we maintain? I wondered. How long until one of us starts raving and jabbering at this boy? What will he think then?

If you like Tekno download one of my tracks
    www.users.bigpond.net.au/thefox149
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the best for that problem in my opinion is wave corrector $45 beats the pants off of the thousands of dollars programs, but I use cool edit pro for just about everything else
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've used WavePurity Standard to remove noise from vhs source audio with good results. Looks like it is priced at 30 Euros.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with the Cool Edit guys. I use Cool Edit 2000 with the audio cleanup plug-in. I was shocked at how well it worked on my old 33rpm vinyl records I converted to CD. I have used it extensively to clean up clicks and pops in the audio tracks from old videos.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm too lazy to look it up. Where are those cooordinates ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well I must be doing something wrong, but I found a copy of Cool Edit Pro 2.0, which I believe had Audio Clean Up built into the program. Ran the static/pop removal and I couldnt tell the difference between before and after. Goldwave did a much better job and did it in a fraction of the time (10 minutes vs cool edits 45 minutes!!?).

What gives?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    go to www.syntrillium.com and get the noise reduction tutorial. it will explain why you didn't get any change in sound. Noise reduction is a two step process in which you have to sample the noise you want removed first and save it as a template. this works better than the generic static/pop removal. wave correcter is still the best at this.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think ill stick with Goldwave, Adobe bought Cool Edit and merged it into their Adobe Audition software. That links re-directs you to the Adobe Audition support site, where if you type in "Noise Reduction Tutorial" you get a bunch of Adobe Premier links. If you Google the site, all you get are Glossary terms.

I dont think the site is setup properly yet. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote