VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What's the maximum length of time anyone has been able to put onto a regular 4.7 GB dvd-r using the panasonic recorder in SP mode. I'm trying to get a 2 hour 2 minute movie on there but don't want to ruin a perfectly good dvd-r just to test my theory.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I use 'Flexible Mode' which automatically adjusts the bit rate to best fit the DVD (regardless 4hr or 2hr 2mins) and the results, imho, are pretty good. In SP mode you wont get anything past 2hr not even a minute, if anything total time will be just under 2hrs (ie. 1hr 59min 45s).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for responding. Is this from your personal experience?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yup Like my sig shows I own a Panasonic DMR-E50 8) I love it so far...I use the Flexible mode sometimes to fit two movies on one disc which if I used LP would have showed more pixelation throughout. To fit two movies calculate the total run time and add 30 mins (so the DVD is not burned to the edge of the disc and to cover your tracks in case total run time calculation is wrong). make sure to hit stop after the first movie, so that a seperate title track can be created. Have fun, take care!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well I just finished my first movie and it craps out on my Apex 1500 after the first hour but works fine on the recorder. Ahh... the wonders of technology.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Same here buddy...

Burnt disc, play fine on:

Pan E50
    Pan RP82
    Malata 393
    Pioneer DV 333

Play but break up later:

Pan RV31
    Pioneer DVD 414
    Quote Quote  
  7. I wonder if it's partly the media I used. (imation). I mean I have been able to play a princo disc someone else had made for me a while back from their panasonic recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I think you are right...If I use Memorex the screw up on the Pioneer 414 and Panasonic RV31. When I use Princo they play perfect all the above mentioned but still pixelate a little on the Panasonic RV31 but now play perfectly on Pioneer 414. If I rewind on the 414 then it screws up.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've read ppl have had a ton of problems with Memorex. I'm going to try Fuji next.
    Quote Quote  
  10. For sure! Stay away from Memorex I am sticking with only Princo now since they seem to work best so far, not one coaster I get them for $39 Canadian (25 spindle)+shipping and taxes works out to $2.27/disk Not bad...I have some Maxell which I got for $5 Canadian and they are also good but still Princo is the one that plays on all players in the household and friends players. See ya later!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Memorex SUX!

Get a DVD burner for your computer. They are much more flexible and a lot more fun too. Set tops are a waste of money. They are good if you are just dumping raw footage to DVD, but even then a computer drive makes more sense.

Quote Quote  
  12. I have also had problems with Memorex DVD-R discs -- I'll not be buying any more, rest assured.

Computer burners are a whole lot more fun if you don't have a "day job" and therefore have gobs of available free time. If you've got a lot of stuff to burn onto a lot of DVD's, standalone recorders make excellent sense -- you can spend hours actually recording DVD's instead of encoding, transcoding, and making all of those fancy menus and specific chapter points.

Oh, and good luck getting any kind of decent picture quality on the computer. Bring lots of $$$$$$$ -- that might help!

thoots
    Quote Quote  
  13. I have tried a computer DVD burner and returned. Definetly you need oodles of time to do a half decent job of DVD authoring. To burn a DVD on a new computer I would have to invest in a new computer $1000 Canadian for something half decent to burn DVD and I dont even need a new computer vs $700 Canadian for the Panasonic DMR-E50 which recorded everything I need so far. I am very happy with my decision on the E50....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by urbanlegend
    For sure! Stay away from Memorex I am sticking with only Princo now since they seem to work best so far, not one coaster I get them for $39 Canadian (25 spindle)+shipping and taxes works out to $2.27/disk Not bad...I have some Maxell which I got for $5 Canadian and they are also good but still Princo is the one that plays on all players in the household and friends players. See ya later!
    FYI. You can get Princo 4X at ebay.ca for about $1.97/disc shipped (in 100 disc spindle).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kc33
    FYI. You can get Princo 4X at ebay.ca for about $1.97/disc shipped (in 100 disc spindle).
    I hope that's in Canadian money. Otherwise you're getting screwed.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have gotten almost 4 hours on Memorex.
    I encoded using 1/2-D1 format using TMPGEnc CQ mode with quality of 65, min bitrate of 500, max bitrate of 3000, with Mono sound at 96.

********EDIT********
    Sorry, I failed to notice that this is in the DVD recorders section, I am afraid I have mis-posted.

Sorry again!
    Just what is this reality thing anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  17. if it goes fine for one title then crappy it could be because the bitrate is changing and confusing ur player. try to skip strait to the second title or something
    Quote Quote  
  18. I stay away from Memorex myself, haven't had the best of luck with that brand. I have had excellent results with Imation and Fuji (DVD+R), but tend to stick with Fuji.
    Quote Quote