VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. which is the best motherboard for video encoding/editing ?
    vsenapati
    Quote Quote  
  2. In terms of functionality you want the motherboard with the most features, such as PCI slots, memory module connectors, etc. But if your looking for more speed then you'll need to know more about all available microprocessors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MSI 865pe Neo2 board.

good motherboard reading.
    Quote Quote  
  4. hi..please help me too choose one of these mainboards : Asus p6x58-e ws OR SuperMicro X8SAX ????
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I had a really bad experience a few months ago with a new build using Asus and the only thing that worked after going through 2 Asus motherboards that wouldn't post was to give up and use Gigabyte instead. So I'm certainly not going to recommend Asus.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This will vary depending on the CPU family and overall budget.

A current mobo will probably require a new CPU, new memory and possibly a new power supply depending on what you have.

I've had good experience with Gigabyte boards.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    If you're installing an editing card (Matrox, Canopus, etc.) ALWAYS check the mfr's recommendations for minimum specifications, compatibility and performance. They'll usually have a list of MB's that they've actually put through the paces and have been qualified with the actual hardware. If not, go with the best you can afford.

Tom
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would start with CPU selection, then motherboard, RAM, hard drives, power supply, case. Most of the computers I use for editing also do encoding, so I use fast quad core CPUs, 4GB RAM for 32bit OSs, and at least three hard drives. I favor a small, fast HDD for boot, usually a Western Digital VelociRaptor 10K RPM, 150GB HDD, then a couple of 1TB HDDs for editing and archiving. Samsung, Western Digital, seem to work well.

Most of my PCs use Gigabyte motherboards and run Windows 7 32bit. If you need a lot of PCI slots, then a full size ATX motherboard would be a good choice. But otherwise, a Micro-ATX with on-board video will save you some space and $$.

Also important, what type of editing? Basic cut and paste, or adding transitions, effects etc.? And what type of video are you planning to edit? MPEG editing has different requirements than H.264 editing.

And if you need to do a lot of encoding, re-encoding, especially of H.264, multiple core CPUs are a big help. I use a six core AMD CPU for my encoding computer as I do a lot of h.264 encodes and that greatly speeds up the process.

Finally, what video editing program do you plan to use? That can also help determine the PC requirements.
    Quote Quote  
  9. i`ll use core i7 950 or xeon 5520 cpu(depends it`s cost) on these mainboards(p6x58-e ws or X8SAX) without any editing card and will instal 6gb of ddr3 ram. now which of these MBs are better?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I won't buy another Asus board and avoid any micro boards so neither one of them.

The mobo itself is not really a factor other that it supports the parts that ARE a factor.

For the same reasons that I buy nothing but Western Digital hard drives, and preferably Caviar Black ones, I also buy nothing but Gigabyte and sometimes Intel motherboards. When I have to replace parts that have failed under warranty, the labor comes out of my pocket. Often, so does the unhappy customer.
    Quote Quote