VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The latest batch of Verbatims that have come in are all made in Taiwan and burn like $hit on my Pioneer A05 and play back with stutters on all my players. Why'd they switch from the Japanese made disks I got earlier in the year? I guess they don't care about their customers either. Worst thing is the deception. These cost as much as the Japanese made disks but their reliability is poor at best. Saving a couple bucks but losing your customers is no way to run a business unless you want to run it into the ground...
    Quote Quote  
  2. There was a whole thread about this about a month ago. Apparently they wanted to lower their cost of production so they switched their suppliers to CMC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Verbatim along with Apple are the only media that I have had problems with and will never buy again. The 15 Verbatim 4x DVD+R I bought at Best Buy were all defective on the dye area of the disc. Look closely at the dye or burn area of the disc and I bet you will see either very small voids in the dye or the dye is uneven and discolored.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The latest batch of Verbatims that have come in are all made in Taiwan and burn like $hit on my Pioneer A05 and play back with stutters on all my players. Why'd they switch from the Japanese made disks I got earlier in the year? I guess they don't care about their customers either. Worst thing is the deception. These cost as much as the Japanese made disks but their reliability is poor at best. Saving a couple bucks but losing your customers is no way to run a business unless you want to run it into the ground...
    I feel your pain. Unfortunately it goes further with Verbatim then just having crappy disks produced. I honestly believe the quality control department has a motto on all those Verbatim disks...especially the CMC ones. The motto is "IF THE DVD COMES OUT ROUND, IT'S A KEEPER!" It really is sad because the Verbatims had so many issues that were near the MIDDLE of the disks...not just the ends....the disks were total crap.

It wasn't worth my time...but others came forward suggesting someone should write a letter to Verbatim....if you do write a letter or send an email...search and link the other Verbatim thread where people came forward and were really pissed because much of the same occured to them. In addition there were mixed manufacturer ID's in the spindles I purchased...how that happens is beyond me...but how Verbatim can allow crap like this to be produced is further beyond me.

If you do write that letter...link the thread....it was titled something like "VERBATIM MAKES ME SICK"...or something to that affect. If you are looking for a realiable replacement from a major retailer...just go with the TDK's.... the TDK-R's are manufactured by TDK....and the +R's are Ricoh manufactured and of excellent quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Same for me : bought a pack of 5, all 5 were crap ! But the price was the price of a high quality DVD-R !! I'll stick to TDK, 100% success until now.

I'll never buy Verbatim again, for sure, even if they come out with something new. An email to Verbatim is an excellent idea.
    iMac 400 DV (So what!) - 512 Mo RAM - HD 50 Go - Panther
    Quote Quote  
  6. I strongly encourage everyone that had a problem with Verbatim to email them (not the retailer, but the Verbatim Corp). There are subsidiaries all over Europe, and for American or Australian users, I guess it's the very same !
    I got a very fast answer (I must say I was surprised), that they would like to test an empty DVD-R... That's an excellent first step, even if I guess they will not change their suppliers, at least maybe repeated claims may strengthen their quality control, and hopefully we can get some replacement DVD-Rs...
    I think it's worth a try for all.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I got a very fast answer (I must say I was surprised), that they would like to test an empty DVD-R... That's an excellent first step, even if I guess they will not change their suppliers, at least maybe repeated claims may strengthen their quality control, and hopefully we can get some replacement DVD-Rs...
    That's just WONDERFUL..let's all rejoice...one of the biggest media giants in the f**kin world wants to TEST an empty DVDR? LMAOOOO...that's funny shit.....and you call that a FIRST STEP? OH YEA..I guess when your as huge as Verbatim your motto is to screw the customer first....take their money for a worthless product and worry about shit later. I really would of scorched the person who responded with that total B.S. That really is laughable...I can understand a media manufacturer just started to manufacturer media and getting into the DVDR world making a comment like that...but Verbatim has sold these CRAP disks all over the world....so this isn't like one or two people got a bad batch thing. That comment by Verbatim is almost as sad as the quality of their disks.

did they say they were going to send you replacement disks? That's what ANY DECENT company would do.....if they wanna test an EMPTY DVDR..tell them to contact those crappy sack of shits CMC and have them send them ONE overnight mail.....what a joke.
    Quote Quote  
  8. i never used any other dvdr disc beside the verbatim 2.4X dvd+r discs. I already used 50 of these discs with absolutely no problems. truly flawless discs... wut are you guys talkin about?

i ordered another batch of 50 verbatim dvd+r's and they should be gettin to me real soon. i love these discs, never had a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  9. People here mainly complained about the inconsistent quality of Verbatim discs made by CMC, and mostly DVD-R discs made in Taiwan. Since Verbatim discs can be found made in Japan, Singapore, or Taiwan, you may be lucky to get some quality discs before Verbatim switched to CMC as the manufacturer. The main problem seems to be that Verbatim currently has a very low standard for quality control on accepting the output from CMC.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hey Defense !
    Did you see I just followed YOUR advice : write a letter to Verbatim, and link the threads on dvdrhelp forums... Something I misunderstood in your previous post ? Aren't you happy to be read by someone in Verbatim ? Or do you have any other wish ?

And NO, noone told me I'll get my money back.
    Anyway, I have three solutions : open my window and shout everytime somebody talks about Verbatim DVD-R... or worse, shout without opening the window and keep gesticulating . The third one is the one I chose, upon your kind advice.
    I doubt I will obtain anything (whatever it is) without proving I have one of the (many) bad batches. Can you imagine any manufacturer would send me money just because I'm whining ? I'm not stupid enough to believe they don't know the problem, but if that's the only way to get something, it's worth a try
    The other solution is to keep my defective DVD-R and going on swearing I'll stick to TDK from now (which is true, but won't bring me something back)
    Quote Quote  
  11. hey guys, all i know is that my verbatim dvd+r discs are flawless. I checked the label and it says "made in taiwan". I've already burned over 50 of these discs with no problem..... am i just lucky or do you guys complain for nuthin??
    Quote Quote  
  12. The Verbatim Datalife (Plus) can be made by RICOH or CMC.

I have NO problem with the RICOH ones.

I don't know about the CMCs...
    Quote Quote  
  13. how can i find out if the ones i have are ricoh or cmc?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Ok i just checked and my discs are ricoh's. After burning over 50 of them i can tell you that this is the best dvd+r disc (for me)

Maybe those problamatic disc that you guys are complaining about are CMC's?? if one of you guys can check the discs with the program above and see if its CMC or ricoh, that can explain alot.

from my test i conclude:

Verbatim 2.4X DVD+R (RICOH) = FLAWLESS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Well, I just picked up a 15 pack spindle of DVD+R 4x for $18.99 @ Microcenter. First 3 disks burned fine @ 4x and played fine on my DVD player. Good enough for me... I'll have to pick up more soon...
    Quote Quote  
  16. pakman9, thanks for the heads up. $1.27 per disc for 4X DVD+R is not bad if they are made by Ritek(Ricoh) instead of CMC. Could you check the media code for the discs you bought using DVDInfo?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I burned around 75 discs from office depot (buy 1 get 1 free) flawlessly. I believe the discs were manufactured from CMC.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by defense
    The motto is "IF THE DVD COMES OUT ROUND, IT'S A KEEPER!"

And all this time I thought that was Memorex's motto...
    Quote Quote  
  19. indolikka said:
    And all this time I thought that was Memorex's motto...
    lol...yea...that's true for Memorex too...but Memorex appears to have wised up some. They have contracted with Ricoh for their 4x DVD+R disks...so they are certainly on the right page.

@Pix my post wasn't directed at you. YOu are doing the right thing...it was directed at Verbatim and how ridiculous they are. No one person is going to affect Verbatim's sales...but many people scorching them for their shitty business practices will sooner or later make a difference. There's no reason to cry over spilled milk...but when a company as big as Verbatim is conducting themselves KNOWINGLY allowing low quality CRAP to be produced....then that's when they need to pay. Enough people visit this forum to make a difference...especially when you multiply the forums numbers with the word of mouth ratio.....

I personally will NEVER use another Verbatim disk....and by you saying that you won't either....that makes two of us. Two of us times the number of others who have had the same types of issues with these crap disks will make a difference sooner or later.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried burning a movie using (SmartRipper,DVD2ONE & Recordnow) with Verbatim and Meritline DVD-R discs and both at 97% I got errors. I got the Verbatim's at Sam's Club. I used the TKD I got at Target weeks ago and they burn Great. Anyone else have problems with the Verbatim's at Sam's. I hope they straighten out the problem if there is one because at $1.50 a piece (name brand) that isn't bad but if they don't work well why use them...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Synergy
    pakman9, thanks for the heads up. $1.27 per disc for 4X DVD+R is not bad if they are made by Ritek(Ricoh) instead of CMC. Could you check the media code for the discs you bought using DVDInfo?
    media code = RICOHJPNR01
    Quote Quote