VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Introduction. Although there are a lot of guides on how to add subtitles downloaded from a site, I have not seen any guides on how to add subtitles for your own productions (read: Home Movie). This is my first dip into the "shark tank" of submitting a guide for your use and honest
    criticism, and I hope you find it useful.

Tools Required:
    Virtual Dub
    Subtitler filter -- Add to the Virtual Dub Plugin directory.
    Sub Station Alpha
    1. Grab a pad of lined paper and pencil. Divide the page into two small columns on the left and a large column on the right.

2. Start watching your home movie. When you spot the place
    for the first subtitle,

write down the time in the first column, and how long it should last in the
    second column. In the last column, write the subtitle itself, or a short
    phrase that will instantly remind you what the subtitle is.

Example:

Start Time:................Duration:..................Te xt:

0:17:22.154...............:06.00.................. ....Loretta M.
    .................................................. .............."Rejoice Greatly!"
    .................................................. ..............The Messiah
    .................................................. ..............Handel
    0:55:37.27 ................:07.00......................Letizi a I.
    .................................................. ..............Concerto for Violin
    .................................................. ..............First Movement
    .................................................. ..............Mozart

Repeat this procedure until you have gone through your movie.

3. Launch Sub Station Alpha. Ensure the grey button labeled "D" (for dialogue) is depressed.

4. Type in the appropiate Start Time (1), skip the End Time, and enter the Duration (2). Tab to the large white box and type your first subtitle (3).

Notice "\n" is used as a line break. Hit Return. The program updates the End Time automatically. When you have loaded all your subtitles, save the file as an .ssa file. Leave Sub Station Alpha open.

5. Now open Virtual Dub and load your video. Select Video-->Filters. Select Add, and when the filters menu opens, select Subtitler. Load the .ssa file (1), select option "\q2" (2)and select Show Preview(3). Use the slider (4) to find your first subtitle.

6. If the font is too small, too large, wrong color, etc. return to Sub Station Alpha. Open Style-->Define....Select Default or open a New style and change the font attributes. If you have to change the text or add/delete a line break, remember to hit Return before saving, or the chanfge will not take place.

Save again and repeat 5tep 5. If the video is correct, close Sub Station Alpha and save the file or frameserve to
    your encoder.

Thanks to Baldrick, BJ_M, and MJPollard for their great help! Thanks guys!
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The sub station alpha site seems to be dead http://www.eswat.demon.co.uk/ . Or is itjust here? I was going to add it to the tool list and your guide to the guides list.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please click here. The site is in Spanish, but they do have version 4.08.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know if ssa is dead(no longer updated) or if it is some temp problem with authors main site???
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi Tommyknocker.
    How are you? Thanks for your guide, it's great.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am fine. Thanks. I am glad you like it.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never dealt w/ subtitles before, but since my recent purchase of a MiniDv camcorder Im sure I will want to utilize this info some time for my home movies of my kids games and programs. Looks good Tommyknocker. thanx
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My pleasure. Hoom, hoom. (What did I just say?)
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Very nice! Just what I've been looking for for quite a while. One nit-pick, though: you might want to mention that the SSA subtitle filter will have to be downloaded from the VirtualDub site, as it's not included in the distribution (at least, it wasn't in mine). Heck, it wasn't obvious to me; I had to play a hunch.
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MLPollard
    One nit-pick, though: you might want to mention that the SSA subtitle filter will have to be downloaded from the VirtualDub site, as it's not included in the distribution (at least, it wasn't in mine). Heck, it wasn't obvious to me; I had to play a hunch.
    That was no nit pick, it was big mistake I made. Thanks for pointing that out. I acknowledged yours, Baldrick's, and BJ_Ms help in my re-edit. Thanks!
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hello All,
    I d like to say thank you for the guide it works well. I do however have a question, I have a DivX that I want to add an .ssa file to, do I have to create a new DivX with the added ssa or can i load it into Tmpg directly somehow?
    Im guessing this is called frameserving. Thus far I have actually had to resave the original divx as a new divx (which takes approx 3 hours on my old clunker PC) then go to TMPG to encode.

thanks
    Tony
    Whats wrong with 352x480?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are right, if youu frameserve your DivX video with its subtitles from Virtual Dub, you can go right into encoding with TMPGEnc. Click here for guide.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Following the guide i saved to a new avi but got no subtitles under it. I don't want to frameserve but only a new divx with subtitles. What can i have done wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could you email me the subtitles?
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yes i can ofcourse, but don't understand why! i send them to you.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If they require certain settings to work, I can simply tell you what they need to be, that's all.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I got you subtitles and they displayed okay in my version of Virtual dub, and I sent you screen captures. I noticed I did have to adjust VDub to its maximum size when viewing the the new video. tell me what you found out.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yes, it worked! Thanks for your advice!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My pleasure!
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hello. Just a question...
    I've added the .ssa file into the subtitle filter (VirtualDub)...
    Now when you say that you save to your encoder, what do you mean by that?

Please enlighten me....
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here you can either save the file as an AVI, or frameserve it to TMPGEnc Plus, to save it as an MPEG or other format.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  22. How come when i go to show preview it doesn't show the sub title? i've converted a real text file into an SSA file, i open virtual dub and try to add the titles but it doesn't show them, can u guys help me?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could you email the ssa file to me? Use the email address in my profile.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tommyknocker
    Could you email the ssa file to me? Use the email address in my profile.
    Unfortunately, I found nothing wrong with your file, as you can see:

Have you also tried the TextSub filter in VobSub?
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  25. then why won't it work? it seems strange that it doesn't show.
    Quote Quote  
  26. is there something that i would need in virtual dub to make it work? cause it wont show the sub titles. It should saw them no?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Ok, sorry, but i just have to ask, what if i sent you the file and u did the adding the sub titles for me? cause I have no idea what the problem could be. there has to be anm explonation to this mess. thanks again and sorry for posting again.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure, if the file isn't too big to send.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I think u might be busy for a while cause I have alot of these types of files. I might need to make them into rar files, unless u have access to and FTP client if so I could give yeah the info for the ftp then u can download the files u need. it's up to you cause i need this done for a friend of mine
    Quote Quote