VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm stumped on how to extract .SRT format subtitle files. Has anyone done this successfully?

I'm trying to strip out the subtitle files for conversion into DVDSP format. Have tried pointing at the VTS_01_1.VOB file directly on a disk, or from a ripped set of files on my hard drive.

Have confirmed that there are subtitles in the file(s). Things seem to function as expected when setting the subtitles to VobSub format, but I don't think I can do anything with those in DVDSP.

Here's what Terminal says (now I know why it's called "Terminal"...'cause everythin I try to run leads to a dead end!!):

= = = = = =
    Using /usr/bin/gocrfilter_none.sed to filter gocr output
    File /Users/eg/Desktop/DVD/TP2/subtitles*.pgm not found
    rm: No match.
    = = = = =

Ideas, anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i dont know if this will help but go to digital-digest.com, i remember seeing a list of subtitle programs there
    Quote Quote  
  3. Use 0SEx to obtain the VOB file, and include the subs in that single VOB file. Then select the correct subtitle number in the subs pulldown menu. Finally launch the conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the swift response.

Alas, I get the same error. I've tried a few different disks, just to make sure there wasn't something funky in the authoring, but still no joy.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are you sure you're selecting the right subtitle number? If you can upload to some web space a small chapter, I could test it and post you my results.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Argh. I can't find a chapter small enough to fit on my available web space. Nor will my email program handle something that big. Blech.

I did a fresh install of 0.0.7d (note that the disk image still says "c"). Can I check to make sure the applicable programs are in the right directories? For example, Finder can't find anything resembling the name "gocrfilter_none.sed" -- or is that file created on the fly?

Used as examples files that only had one subtitle track, and they checked out okay using ffmpegX (sid: 0).
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm still trying to puzzle this through.

Should the gocrfilter_none.sed file exist somewhere on my computer, or is created by ffmpegX during the conversion process?

I can't find any file that includes "gocr" (which I presume is the OCR package you're using), not even in the contents of ffmpegX. Should there be one somewhere?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by schmeg
    Should the gocrfilter_none.sed file exist somewhere on my computer, or is created by ffmpegX during the conversion process?

I can't find any file that includes "gocr" (which I presume is the OCR package you're using), not even in the contents of ffmpegX. Should there be one somewhere?
    They exist, but Finder's "Search" can't find them because they're located in Unix special directories. If you get problems, the best way to let me help is to make me available a link to a small clip.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I get the same failure with any and every VOB I try, ripped using OSeX and including the subpicture track. Even if there's only one subtitle. I've tried whole movies, just single chapters, everything. So it doesn't appear related to any particular disk coding.

These are all Region 1 DVDs from a wide range of distributors. Subtitles will burn just fine if I choose that option (wih MPEG2 and mplayer), so I know they are there.

Here's my procedure and please, anyone, let me know if you've succeeded using a different technique.

-- Rip a chapter with OSeX to a VOB. Include audio track and subtitle track. No other options are changed.

-- In ffmpegX, open VOB file as the input and set an output name.

-- Deselect encode video and encode audio buttons.

-- On FILTERS, check the Subtitles button. Leave Subtitle track at 0, for files with one subtitle.

-- Change drop-down box to .srt.

-- Hit the EXTRACT button.

Two files -- *.srt and *.srtx -- are created with zero file size, and then Terminal stops with that error message above.

I noticed on the "bugs and suggestions" board that someone else had the same problem. I'll keep looking for a place to upload a small VOB file -- my web spaces don't have that capacity. In the meantime, since I don't think it's related to any particular DVD, I'd like to rule out any procedural mistakes.

Thanks, all.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by schmeg
    Leave Subtitle track at 0, for files with one subtitle.
    This could be the source of the problem. Even if you have one subtitle, you should set this pulldown menu to the source subtitle track value (less 1 if you use the 0SEx numbering). Eg if you extracted Subtitle 5 in 0SEx, you must set the pulldown menu to 4.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by major
    Originally Posted by schmeg
    Leave Subtitle track at 0, for files with one subtitle.
    This could be the source of the problem. Even if you have one subtitle, you should set this pulldown menu to the source subtitle track value (less 1 if you use the 0SEx numbering). Eg if you extracted Subtitle 5 in 0SEx, you must set the pulldown menu to 4.
    The easiest way to check if you have chosen the right track subtitle (and the .IFO file) is to select a track and to click on the play button in ffmpegX. In this way you're sure to choose the right subtitle (and audio if you want).

Toche
    Ti 867 MHz - 768 Mo - Airport - 10.3.4
    ffmpegX 0.0.9m [REG]
    Quote Quote  
  12. To test this convert-subtitles-to-SRT feature and keep things simple, I've been deliberately choosing source DVDs that only have one subtitle track (SID: 0).

So, I feel confident that I'm selecting the correct subtitle ID in ffmpegX, as I can use the same ID number and successfully burn the subtitle using MPEG-2/mplayer.

Just for laughs, if I choose other subtitle IDs in ffmpegX (1, 2, etc), I get the same failure.

= = = = =

I can see what commands ffmpegX pastes into Terminal:

/Applications/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/pgm2txt '/Users/blahblah/mysubtitles' && /Applications/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/srttool -s -i '/Users/blahblah/mysubtitles.srtx' -o '/Users/blahblah/mysubtitles.srt' && rm /blahblah/mysubtitles*.pgm* && rm /Users/blahblah/mysubtitles.srtx

The first application it runs is PGM2TXT, and part of the error message is that it finds no *.pgm file. What program creates the pgm file? Should there be instructions for subtitle2pgm, tcextract, or similar?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Can you run this command in terminal:

ls -l /usr/bin

and email me the results.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Gladly!

Just sent 'em.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Freiluft
    I have tried to extract .srt subs from two movies so that I might translate them from German to English (there were no English subtitles). Directing ffmpegX to the .vob, it churned away, producing an index with each entry followed by (PICTURE). The graphic files were empty, as, of course, were the little text files.

I ended up making a low framerate, low quality B&W MJPEG of just the subtitles and a bit of movie with mpegdecX, and fooled around in Word with lots of global substitutions to get the index file into something QT could use as a text track (there were timestamp errors -- I had to use Excel to find them).

This is a process I do not wish to repeat. What could be the cause?
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm trying to figure out where is your problem. Check if you're following this process:

1. Select VOB file containing the subtitle (as track 1)
    2. Define a basename for the subtitles in the Save as.. field (eg. "Users/username/Documents/subtitles" (where subtitles is not an existing folder).
    3. In the filters tab, select the subtitle number (0 in my case)
    4. Select .srt in the subtitle format pulldown menu
    5. Click the "Extract" button
    6. A progress bar will spin while the subtitles are being extracted in .pgm format (you can see them appear in the basename location)
    7. Terminal will launch the OCR process
    8. The subtitles.srt file will appear in your basename location and the .pgm files should have been automatically deleted
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by major
    2. Define a basename for the subtitles in the Save as.. field (eg. "Users/username/Documents/subtitles" (where subtitles is not an existing folder).
    Yep, everything so far so good. And as I said above, I can generate .idx/.sub files using one of my sample VOBs set at the correct subtitle ID, so I feel confident that the source material is good.

6. A progress bar will spin while the subtitles are being extracted in .pgm format (you can see them appear in the basename location)
    8. The subtitles.srt file will appear in your basename location and the .pgm files should have been automatically deleted
    Alas, here's where it falls apart. The progress wheel spins for all of about 2 seconds, Terminal opens immediately and displays only the short list of instructions I've copied in an earlier post, then stops.

No .pgm files get created in the base directory (which has no spaces or other weird characters in the path). No sign of any OCR process. Only two files with my basename and .srt/.srtx extensions: both Zero KB.

Mystifying!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Can you upload to some webspace a chapter of your file?
    Quote Quote  
  19. vnsullivan
    I'm trying to figure out where is your problem. Check if you're following this process:

Exactly like schmeg: I don't get the 6th process. No .pgm created...
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by schmeg
    '/Users/blahblah/mysubtitles'
    Check if there are any spaces or special characters in the blahblah part or in the input file path
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by major
    Check if there are any spaces or special characters in the blahblah part or in the input file path.
    Clean as a whistle. No spaces, just letters and underlines. I tried a couple of places (the Desktop, a removable FireWire drive, etc.). Also repaired the permissions, just in case.

It was a nice dream while it lasted...

:)
    Quote Quote  
  22. In Terminal, if I just try to run tcextract, I get the following error message:

dyld: tcextract can't open library: /usr/local/lib/libdl.0.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
    Trace/BPT trap

The contents of /usr/local/lib are just the 20 libogg and libvorbis files.

Is this relevant to the .SRT extraction problem?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Yes, libdl is needed. If you don't have it, install it from here.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Well glory be. That was the answer. Wonder why that wasn't already on the system?

Anyway, it's now working as expected, although the OCR module can't seem to recognize a darn thing.

I've tried three short test files, and it stops at nearly every syllable asking for help. The resulting text file is riddled with wrong characters, and it skips quite a few entries altogether.

But that's not your problem. FFmpegX does what it says, and I'll just have to hope that the OCR team improves that part.

Does the .SRT Extractor look at the subs palette (.ifo) file? I wonder if that would improve things.

Thanks, Major!
    Quote Quote  
  25. No, it doesn't look at the IFO file, though I plan to add better palette support to the subtitle extraction process. Key to success is when the subtitle font doesn't have any outline and the letters don't touch each other.
    Quote Quote