VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a VHS tape that i want to put on DVD what would be the best format to capture the video in? I think i read that SVCD is equal to the quality of VHS.

The tape is 2 hours and 5min long. There would be no point in capturing the VHS tape in DVD quality right?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would capture it in 352x480 resolution (half D1) and authored as such.
    This is how I create DVD from VHS sources. Results are excellent (even up to 3 hours on one blank DVD).
    ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ktnwin
    I would capture it in 352x480 resolution (half D1) and authored as such.
    This is how I create DVD from VHS sources. Results are excellent (even up to 3 hours on one blank DVD).
    I second what ktnwin said. I've captured at 720x480 and encoded at ~4600 kpbs (around 2 hrs/DVD), but then tried Half D1 (352x480) at 2520 kpbs and found the quality excellent with VHS source and I can get 3+ hrs/DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by BowlPacker
    Originally Posted by ktnwin
    I would capture it in 352x480 resolution (half D1) and authored as such.
    I second what ktnwin said. I've captured at 720x480 and encoded at ~4600 kpbs (around 2 hrs/DVD), but then tried Half D1 (352x480) at 2520 kpbs and found the quality excellent with VHS source and I can get 3+ hrs/DVD.
    I guess I'll third it. I usually capture in DV format and encode to half D1. I've been able to get as much as 4 hours on a DVD using CQ mode in TMPGEnc with bitrate of 500/6000, quality 65, and 192kbps audio
    Just what is this reality thing anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting. So what you're saying is cap at 352x480.

1) Does that drastically improve my HD space,
    2) What "advanced" settings do you have checked in CCE?
    3) What calculator do you use to find the proper filesize for 2 hours of video at half D1 resolution??
    3) Are you sure it will give you the same quality as a 720x480 cap, or is the sacrificed HD space and DVD space not worth the effort??
    4) Is 352x480 only for taking advantage of the lower bitrates??

If this is true, what you state, then it'll totally change the way I've been doing things.

Thanxxxxxx
    Quote Quote  
  6. Let me try to answer you question one at a time here:

1) Does that drastically improve my HD space,
    you could expect slightly more than 50% saving if you capture in AVI

2) What "advanced" settings do you have checked in CCE?
    I use TMPGEnc so cannot answer this. I simply modify the DVD template: change 720x480 TO 352X480, and also change to lower bitrate.

3) What calculator do you use to find the proper filesize for 2 hours of video at half D1 resolution??
    MPEG filesize depends solely on bitrate and has nothing to do with the resolution, surprising but it's TRUE. So use whatever bitrate calculator you are using.

3) Are you sure it will give you the same quality as a 720x480 cap, or is the sacrificed HD space and DVD space not worth the effort??
    I have tried the same movie in both resolution, at 3 hours per disc, the 352x480 give much much better quality.

4) Is 352x480 only for taking advantage of the lower bitrates
    Yes, at lower resolution 352x480 is less than half of 720x480, you can cut bitrate in half and still maintain the same visual quality. By lowering bitrate, you reduce the MPEG file size which mean you can fit more hours on a blank DVD: simple logic.

and... DO NOT FORGET TO USE AC3 AUDIO as this save a lot of space for video.

Logic and experience justifies the usage of half D1.
    ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote  
  7. to save you some pain, download dvd2svcd from dvd2svcd.org. When you cap your video, you can use the easy to use drop downs and whatnots to encode the video. It is a lot easier (in my opinion) than using CCE's gui.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry to bug in like that, but just a few days ago I was told that for best results its best to capture at the highest possible resolution. I capture VHS and then put it on DVD, too. Here is a link to that post: https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162637&highlight= It would be nice if this matter would be cleared up, since there is big difference between D1 and half-D1 caputures in terms of HD space.
    Quote Quote  
  9. astroruben,

the only way to clear this issue up for you would be for you to do a test capture in both full and half D1, look at the finished results and see which one you like better.

Realistically it's always going to be a trade off on quality vs amount of time to fit on the DVD. Normally your VHS source is going to be no better than half D1, so save yourself some $$ on using extra DVDs by using the lower resolution.
    Quote Quote