VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i would like to make my movie 5.1 surround sound...

how do i mix in 5.1 surround sound also.

do i need a special program?

tell me everything i need to know please!

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. First of all, if you want 5.1 audio, you must use a DVD, but I guess you knew that already. As I'm only familiar with Scenarist, I must encode the audio and video separatly. This means that you must time the sound of the 6 channels in another application than the one used for video editing, unless, you use Vegas Video. In Vegas you can create multiple audio streams for your video production. Create 3 stereo streams, that's a total of 6 channels, and use them like this:

Audio track 1: Front Left / Front Right
    Audio track 2: Rear Left / Rear Right
    Audio track 3: Use the left channel as Center and the right as LFE.

Now, to render the movie, you need to do it in 4 steps:

1: Render the video ONLY
    2: Render the first stereo audio track (Front Left / Front Right)
    3: Render the second stereo audio track (Rear Left / Rear Right)
    4: Render the third stereo audio track (Center / LFE)

Now you should have 4 files, as described above. You must then convert the video into the correct DVD format (see a guide on this page) and then it's time to encode the audio. As far as I know, the best program for encoding 5.1 Dolby Digital is Sonic Foundry SoftEncode. This program is easy to understand and you simply open your wav-files in the program and select what wav should play as which channel and select system and bitrate in the "Encoding settings". Hit encode and you're on your way!

If you don't understand any of this, don't attempt to make a huge movie project, it'll just dissapoint you in the end, but rather fiddle around with Vegas and SoftEncode, that's a great way to learn!

Happy movie making!
    Chazzie
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just know that it's all fake anyway. You won't have TRUE surround sound. You're making false surround. You'd need all 6 audio channels individually recorded and then remixed by an audio engineer. Most good receivers can emulate surround from Dolby Stereo 2/0 discs. That's all the software is doing anyway: emulating. Since your source is only stereo at best, you can never hope for anything better.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what on earth makes you say that? he said he wants to make his movie in surround. if he's making it, he's obviously recording the sound too...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by txpharoah
    Just know that it's all fake anyway. You won't have TRUE surround sound. You're making false surround. You'd need all 6 audio channels individually recorded and then remixed by an audio engineer. Most good receivers can emulate surround from Dolby Stereo 2/0 discs. That's all the software is doing anyway: emulating. Since your source is only stereo at best, you can never hope for anything better.
    I assume that he wants to add sound effects etc. in the surround (and other channels too). It's also possible to re-record the dialouge to get it in the center channel at the desired volume...

But, if you only convert the Stereo soundtrack from the camera, it won't be true sourround.

Chazzie
    Quote Quote  
  6. cool! does anyone know if dazzle dvd complete supports 5.1 surround sound?

also what are some other programs ohter then vegas that allow me to mix in 5.1 surround
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TXPharoah,

I don't have one, but couldn't you capture an original 5.1 surround on an Audigy? I think it has an optical connector or supports 5.1. Theoreticly, you could then import it into Vegas or some other sound program and make a DVD compliant AC-3 file.

I was just thinking ahead in case any LD's had a 5.1 soundtrack (I don't know if any of them do...)
    Quote Quote  
  8. I use vegas4 to render my stereo audio to dd.51 (same sound just out of all 6 speakers) But, theoreticaly you could create 6 audio tracks in vegas then edit them so that you just have the effects pan around the surrounds. Not sure about the center speaker and the LFE would get converted to just bass level frequencies.

Justa thought...
    If the Apocalypse comes...Beep Me - Buffy
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok the easiest way is to get Sonic Foundry Soft Encode and just load the 2 channel wav files 3 times and save as 5.1 ac3 that simple
    One day I might get it!!!!
    Quote Quote