VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I am trying to figure out how to take a DVD and remove bad language from a movie for my kids, and then copy it back to DVD. I have heard this might be possible by using subrip using OCR. Then removing the audio for the section that subrip has identified the offensive words. Has anyone figured out a process to do this?

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Manually remove the audio track, then use a sound editor to mute those parts. Not sure if an automatic system exists, but that'd be nice.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.

3. Probably not the answers you are looking for, but perhaps a push in the right direction:

1) One method would be to buy a product such as http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5...Fid=930%2D0636 TV Guardian from Radio Shack. You'd have to play the video through the TV Guardian, which would remove the naughty words, then capture it to your hard drive, convert to mpeg2, etc... Time consuming and not what you had in mind, but it's one solution.

2) There have been stories the past few months about "Hollywood" suing companies that sell censored DVDs. http://www.ldsfilm.com/ar_editedfilms.html has a bunch of articles about this, and a few seem to mention that companies that sell censored DVDs are editing them and re-burning them in-house... www.cleanflicks.com might be one that does it that way...

Which brings us to http://www.clearplay.com -- they sell a software/service that will edit DVDs as you watch them on your computer. I don't think that you could use the software while ripping DVDs, but it's worth examining...it might point you in the direction of a program that will do the same thing while ripping a DVD.

I don't really know much about all of this (personally, my already limited vocabulary would be unreasonably stunted w/out my internal glossery of curse words) -- I just remembered hearing about the lawsuits and did a quick google search. I hope it sets you on the right path.

4. THe one thing that suck's is when DVD first came out they said dvd will have audio that will not have bad word's and different angle's. i have never seen any of these dvd I do know there ouut there. But Holly Wood hiped up DVD and said a bunch or crap and never did any of these thing that they said they was going to do. One Idea can alway's capture from TV. And make your own DVD or SVCD's

5. Actually there are a few DVDs that have both R and PG verisons on them. You can set the DVD player to level you want, and the DVD would skip as necessary.

Sort of like the for the movies, and edited for TV verisons on one DVD. I have my DVD player set to off so I don't know how many discs have this feature enabled (I would suspect few).

I do know that Blade had this thou. My cousin (somehow) set his DVD player to G, and everytime 'massive amounts of blood would/should be shown' the DVD player would skip ahead.

Search Comp PM
    Lots of multi-angle DVD's do exist. Most of the time VIVD uses them in their videos. I haven't seen any mainstream Hollywood movies using multi-angle, though.
    dj matty b

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to threadcrap but what movies are you trying to edit?

8. adaboy had it.

It would probably make sound editing easier if you ripped the english subs with Subrip's OCR method. Save as SRT and then open in Wordpad. Use the 'find' function in Wordpad to find the nasty bits (CTRL+F) Use the time signatures listed for the bad language subs to jump around the soundtrack (that you've already ripped from the DVD) in some sound editing program. Now you won't have to listen to the whole soundtrack to home in on the bad language and mute it. Excellent idea.
    Happy to be here.

9. My bad...to be honest, I'm not familiar with Subrip at all (until now) Guess I ended up talking a lot of wind...

Subrip sounds really interesting, and I swear I've seen sound editing programs that would allow you to specify a list of in and out points (such as the ones culled from the Subrip list) and would automate the cutting for you...but this may have been some esoteric or uber-professional application I saw in some studio. Using both apps together would be perfect...I'll let you know if I come across the audio app again.

Still (to save face) if you've got a bunch of VHS tapes you want to transfer to DVD and edit out the language, then try the TV Guardian...

Good luck

10. I have been working on this for several months now. I used subrip to convert the sub titles to a text file. I then converted the ac3 stream to a wav file as sound forge could not edit a direct ac3 stream. I then did a search in wordpad for the offensive word which would give me a timestamp. I typed the time stamp into sound forge which would get me to with in 1 second of the bad word. I then Muted the offensive word. I then saved it back out as a wav file then used besweat to convert it back to AC3.
    The problem that i have now is that when I re-combine the audio and video the audio and video are out of sync and get progressively worse. Any one have any idea's?

Search Comp PM
    Complete garbage and rubbish.

Like "BAD" words are gonna ruin your kids.

PLEASE

Stupid stupid stupid

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    If you ARE that freakin' anal there are plenty of G and PG films you can limit your kids too until you feel (dear god in heaven I hate friggin' censorship) that your kids can handle the "bad" words.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE

12. I think FulciLives was a bit harsh.

The only easy way I know of is don't let them watch it if you are offended. You are their guide and censor in the home, the world beyond is rude and not going to change. It is hard to prevent them from hearing the words but you can teach them not to use them.

Search Comp PM
    I don't know how old adaboy's kids are, and I don't know what movie he's talking about (maybe just movies in general) but here's my take on censorship with kids (I've got two toddlers):

I don't believe in exposing children to movies that are above their maturity level.

Having said that, if they're mature enough to watch the movie then they're mature enough to hear the language in it. The reverse applies as well, if they're not mature enough to hear the language then they're not mature enough for the movie.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa

14. FulciLives has a point
    (but i dont agree with everything he said)

just because the bad languge is there, doesnt mean that
    children will use it.

and if you think that you can avoid them knowing about it - forget it.

one day they will watch a movie at a friends house and get to know
    those words.

i think its better to let the child know about these words and explain to him
    that they are not to be used - its just movie talk.
    ( at least for now :P )

i understand and respect what you are trying to do
    but you are just buying some time if you limit the kid on this thing.

just think about it
    HELL AINT A BAD PLACE TO BE

15. I agree with FulciLives. If kids take damagae from bad language in a movie, then its up to the parents to teach them difference between good and bad things, censoring doesnt serve anyone, as already proven by the former communist countries. Its ironic that usa is the only western country still doing censoring in large scale. Heavensent got the solution, explain the kids these things instead of buying time to avoid what cannot be avoided.

Search Comp PM
    addaboy, are you "muting" the bad words by reducing the sound level or or cutting them out?

Anyway, use something like cooledit pro, which will let you strech or compress the audio length to hit a target, if I recall correctly.

Of course, you realize that your kids can lip read, so you'll also have to put those little black squares over the characters' mouths whenever they say the bad words.

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The easy method is to prevent them from watching anything other than PG rated shows. If you think PG has bad words, then maybe tv isn't for you. I'm a big freedom of speech supporter. Censorship is baloney.

If you want to go to the trouble to rip the movie, demux the audio, remux the video and new audio, then put the disc back together (unchanged if done properly), it can be done. But is it worth it?

That would be useless as soon as the next "bad parent" comes along and let his kids hear the word "crap". Your kid goes to school, next thing you know, "crap" is part of his vocabulary too.

Removing words is not the most effective method, and surely the hardest.

Maybe differenent content and stronger parenting are less work. Although this is your choice, and hence the reason I answered the original question. But I do want to provide you with all the options for you intended goal.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.

Search Comp PM
    addaboy,
    If you only muted (or replaced with silence) then it seems that the audio length would not change. Wavelab Lite is another wav editor that should do this with ease. As for the bad language for kids ... when it gets unnecessarily foul I tell the kids that we're not paying anybody to bring foul mouth talk into my living room and shut it off. Just like I'd kick anyone out of my house that had enough disrespect to think that if they wern't swearing they wern't talking. So as a result, my kids get a lot of healthy sunshine.
    "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms." - THOMAS JEFFERSON .. 1776

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    addaboy,

I have had some success using a different (and cheaper) method. Instead of muting the sound, I cut out the video and audio over the 1/2 second that the bad word is said. This seems to solve the synch problem and you don't have to re-encode the entire movie so it is also fast. Here is what I do:

1) Rip DVD to disk using smartripper.
    2) Load VOB file into Womble's MPEG-VCR.
    3) Cut out the small piece(s) that I don't want.
    4) Save as MPEG. This is quite fast because MPEG-VCR only re-encodes the few frames next to where I made the cut.
    5) Load MPEG into TMPEnc (free) and strip out the audio and video streams.
    6) Use IfoEdit's author option to put streams back into DVD format (i.e., VOB files within a VIDEO_TS folder). Also use IfoEdit's "Get VTS Sectors" to fix the timing.
    7) Burn to DVD using any burning tool that doesn't re-encode (I used Ulead DVD Movie Factory, but you could use a free tool to do this).

Note that Womble's MPEG2VCR had a bug where it goofed up the sound (it was completely silent), but they have a fix for it that you can download. If you want to know about this, let me know.

For a fancier type of edit, you could replace Womble's MPEG-VCR (aslo called MPEG2VCR) with Womble's MVW, but that is $150. This also only re-encodes the few frames around the clipped area. Also, MVW does not have the bug mentioned above and is a lot more powerful.

I am also investigating using Cuttermaran for the edit because it is free, but have not had any success yet.

Anyone see any problems with my method? (Please, no more opinions on the morality of editing out bad words. Leave this up to the parent. That's their job).
    Zakkkkkman

20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    His kids are probably old enough to watch the movies without being edited by now.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by andyp1
    His kids are probably old enough to watch the movies without being edited by now.
    LOL this is an old thread!

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci

Search Comp PM
    His kids are probably old enough to edit the naughty bits back in.

23. They make a box that edits closed captions so only nice caption words display on your tv. It's automatic too.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    They make a box that edits closed captions so only nice caption words display on your tv. It's automatic too.
    Oh well the perfect solution ... if your kids are deaf!

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Oh well the perfect solution ... if your kids are deaf!
    And are old enough to read.

26. I would like to remove bad language for my own viewing pleasure - I see this is an old thread and wondered if there are any new solutions to this problem?

27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    taylor17 - Welcome to the forums, but we really don't like it when people dig up old threads to post to them. I believe you are now the unofficial champion of this dubious honor. Off the top of my head I don't recall ever seeing a longer period of time between posts in a thread than yours and the one from ZippyP, but I guess there might be a longer one somewhere that I haven't seen. Please just make a new thread in the future if the last post has been more than about 1 or 2 months ago unless your post is absolutely critical to the thread (ie. you have a solution that no one else has mentioned). Asking "anything new about this?" really doesn't fit that.

Anyway, some company in the USA tried to sell DVDs that were edited to be "family friendly" and Hollywood sued them and won. And to be blunt, if you have to ask how to do it, you don't know how and it's probably more work than you want to do. If you are really really determined to do this, then spend hours reading up on how to rip DVDs to your PC, get some editing tools (the best video ones are not free though) and edit the films and then put them back together and burn a new DVD. But if you, like so many, are looking for some magical program that you think/hope exists that can do all this work for you easily, you are out of luck. The simple solution, which you won't want to hear, is just don't buy movies that you need to do this to.

28. jman98 - one would think that if a company wanted a thread to be closed after a certain time limit then it would have it setup in the html coding to prevent such additional posts after a certain time limit. taylor17 asked a very good question. Plus to make fun of someone who has a perfectly good question is not appropriate. I also have the same question that Taylor17 has. I am far from a basic pc user, but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas of any programs that are available that will do the brunt work for me.

29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adaboy View Post
    I am trying to figure out how to take a DVD and remove bad language from a movie for my kids, and then copy it back to DVD. I have heard this might be possible by using subrip using OCR. Then removing the audio for the section that subrip has identified the offensive words. Has anyone figured out a process to do this?
    i know this is not the answer you were hoping to get nor even along the lines you wanted, but if the movie has language that offensive, to the point where you feel the need to edit so your kids can watch it "bad" language free, then i submit to you that perhaps you shouldn't be letting your kids watch said movie until they are a bit older.

on a side note, i do have a question, not necessarily aimed at you: if the word "****" is a "bad" word and said word describes the act by which conception first takes place, then what does that say about the product of said act, namely mankind?

just something to ponder.

edit: i just realized that i posted to a thread started 7 years ago!!!, do i feel stupid!!!

30. ClearPlay is still around and selling DVD players that filter out selected content.