VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to install a 16X DVD-rom and a 48X24X48 CD-Rw into my new system. Is it alright to have the DVD-Rom and CD-Rw on the same IDE Channel (Secondary) where one is set to master and one to slave. If so which would be the master and which would be the slave?

Thankyou.
    Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz
    MSI 845PE Max 2 Mainboard
    1 GB Geil PC2700 DDR 333 RAM
    Lite-on 16X DVD-ROM
    Lite-on 48X24X48 CD-Rw
    MSI Geforce 3 TI200
    Western Digital 80GB 7200rpm ATA/100 HDD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Burner on master and DVD on slave. Also what brands are these? There are still some models that dont like to play nice together, in those cases you'll have to play around to find what works.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Both Drives are manufactured by Lite-On so that should be pretty compatible. Thanx for your help
    Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz
    Lite-on 16X DVD-ROM
    Lite-on 48X24X48 CD-Rw
    MSI Geforce 3 TI200
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had my DVD as Secondary master and CD-RW as Sec Slave. Both Lite-on drives. This caused my HDD light to stay on permenantly. Switching them fixed it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi,
    I have a Pioneer DVD-Rom 120 Pioneer as Secondary master and a Pioneer DVD-RW 104 as secondary slave. I do not have any known problem with this configuration. Is there any reason to switch them around.

scottb721,
    What do you mean HDD light was always on? Are you refering to the light that light up when the drives are busy?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by hhamzeh
    Hi,
    I have a Pioneer DVD-Rom 120 Pioneer as Secondary master and a Pioneer DVD-RW 104 as secondary slave. I do not have any known problem with this configuration. Is there any reason to switch them around.
    Pioneer and most vendors says that is the way it should be configed and many people who have had problems had them go away when DVDRW on Master. I guess no reason to change if you have no problems, but if one pops up you know what to do
    Cendyne/Pioneer 105 & 104 with a Dazzle* Hollywood DV-Bridge.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by scottb721
    I had my DVD as Secondary master and CD-RW as Sec Slave. Both Lite-on drives. This caused my HDD light to stay on permenantly. Switching them fixed it.
    I have this problem if i try to connect my dvd-rom or cd-rw on the same ide channel as my hard drive. Thats why i want to know if its ok to use them both on the same channel
    Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz
    Lite-on 16X DVD-ROM
    Lite-on 48X24X48 CD-Rw
    MSI Geforce 3 TI200
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by scottb721
    I've seen the HDD light stay on when a device is connected with the cable upside down. Of course, I've only had this happen with cables that weren't keyed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The HDD light/LED should flicker on and off as the HD is being accessed. Mine was coming on at startup and stay on until shutdown, just like the Power LED.
    DVD and CD-RW drives both worked perfectly so it wasn't a cableing issue. To fix it I swapped the jumpers on the back of each drive from Master to Slave and vice-versa.
    HDD LED now flickers like it should.
    Quote Quote  
  10. My cables are keyed and when I put a cd-rw/dvd-rom on the same channel as my hard disk (hdd set to prim master - dvd/cdr set to prim slave) the hard disk light stays on constantly. I have since been told that the best way to install my ide devices was to put my dvd on ide 1 as the primary master, the cd-rw on ide 2 as the secondary master and my hard disk drive on ide 3 which is my onboard raid/ata controller. This hopefully should work without any probs but I cant try it yet because my processor doesn't arrive til friday
    Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz
    Lite-on 16X DVD-ROM
    Lite-on 48X24X48 CD-Rw
    MSI Geforce 3 TI200
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I have 2 liteons also, samething worked for me CD-RW on master, DVD-Rom on slave.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks for your input....im gonna go with the dvd set to secondary slave, cd-rw set to secondary master as you suggested. If it works ok for you chances are it should work ok for me too. Thanks a lot
    Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz
    Lite-on 16X DVD-ROM
    Lite-on 48X24X48 CD-Rw
    MSI Geforce 3 TI200
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD should be master.

They must be on opposite IDE channels to get on-the-fly copying without interrupt or frisbie-making.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by CoF_2003
    My cables are keyed and when I put a cd-rw/dvd-rom on the same channel as my hard disk (hdd set to prim master - dvd/cdr set to prim slave) the hard disk light stays on constantly. I have since been told that the best way to install my ide devices was to put my dvd on ide 1 as the primary master, the cd-rw on ide 2 as the secondary master and my hard disk drive on ide 3 which is my onboard raid/ata controller. This hopefully should work without any probs but I cant try it yet because my processor doesn't arrive til friday
    Industry Standard (as tought to A+ Certified Service Technicians) is

1st hard drive on Primary Master
    2nd hard drive (or other device) on Primary Slave
    DVDRW on Secondary Master (or CD-RW if no DVDRW)
    Additional CD/DVD device on Secondary Slave.

Now it can be argued about putting the additional CD/DVD device on the Primary Slave (expecially if making alot of copies between the CD/DVD and the DVDRW), but 1st hard drive on Primary Master and DVDRW on Secondary Master is the way it is preferred and least likely to cause problems.

Now you mention RAID. Do you have a Serial ATA mother board that supports IDE raid (are you 100% sure) because that deviates from the norm and is relatively new and may make the answer different for you?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Gcutler Thanks for your info...Im not a computer expert so I'll give you a quote from the page of my mainboard manual about the RAID Controller

"Hard Disk RAID Connectors: IDE3,SER1&SER2"

"The mainboard has 3 IDE RAID connectors, which are controlled by Promise 20376.
    IDE3 is a 32-bit enhanced PCI IDE and ultra DMA 66/100/133 controller that provides PIO mode 0-5, bus master, and Ultra DMA 66/100/133 function. You can connect to 1 hard disk drive.
    The mainboard also provides dual high speed Serial ATA interface ports. Each supports 1st generation serial ATA data rates of 150 mb/s. Both connectors are compliant with serial ATA 1.0 specifications. Each serial ATA connector can connect to 1 hard disk device."
    I understand that my western digital wd800bb hard drive is not serial ATA compatible. If I look on the board I have two serial ata connectors and a connector on the RAID controller marked "IDE3" which looks the same as IDE 1+2
    Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz
    Lite-on 16X DVD-ROM
    Lite-on 48X24X48 CD-Rw
    MSI Geforce 3 TI200
    Quote Quote  
  16. Not having ever worked with that type of motherboard before, I'm gonna have to defer to the tech support (you may want to call/e-mail them and say you have these 3 devices, which should go where???) But if it is working OK now, then let things be.

I feel so obsolete all of a sudden
    Quote Quote  
  17. Well I have tried to email microstar international on numerous occasions (possibly 10-15 times) over the space of around 3 months and havent had a single reply which wasnt very nice so I turned to a few forums. I got one guy on another forum telling me that I should put my hdd on the IDE Raid and my cd-rw as primary master, dvd rom to secondary master, but that confused me because I thought that your hard drive always had to go on the primary master. Its just really confusing. If it is possible to put my hdd on the raid controller how do I tell my bios to boot from the raid? I have been told the raid controller comes with its own bios which overides the boot setup but i just dont understand raid controllers at all
    Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz
    Lite-on 16X DVD-ROM
    Lite-on 48X24X48 CD-Rw
    MSI Geforce 3 TI200
    Quote Quote  
  18. Here is the way I taught it to my A+ Certification students -

Your Hard drive is the highest performance (in terms of response time, and also in throughput) device on the IDE bus. DO NOT INTERFERE WITH THAT. Do NOT put any other device except an identical Hard drive on the same channel or you will lose performance. Perhaps an imperceptible amount, perhaps a dramatic loss, this will vary. But it will NEVER improve performance to have dissimilar devices on the same channel. If you must double up with something other than a hard drive, DVD is first choice, CD second, if you put a tape or zip drive on the primary HD channel I will come over to your house and beat you.

Most newer MOBO's will boot off of any designated device, it is interesting to note the high-speed specs given for your IDE-3, and NOT for your 1 and 2 channels, more properly numbered 0 and 1. Given that 3's performance is KNOWN to be as fast as possible, and the other two are not, put your primary HD on channel 3. Note that with these new boards, the Primary HD channel is the one the primary HD is connected to, not simply channel 0. (or the first one).

For the other devices, if you can give each drive its own channel, great, otherwise seperate devices which must communicate with best performance to prevent failure, as in disk-to-disk copy.

The choices are complicated if you want a capture drive, as this should NOT be the primary HD but should have the best performance available, thereby sacrificing OS performance to avoid frame droppage.

In terms of Master/Slave settings for individual drives, there is to much variation to arrive at any standard "correct" setting, other than best performance drive at master and "other" drive as slave. However, this does not always work. In some cases, both drives set to Master, or Slave, gives better functionality.
    Quote Quote