VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I got some more PS2 games over the past couple of weeks and I've been trying to rip the music from them. One is motocross mania 2 and I've figured out the settings but that's not what this post is about. I have another game, Kelly Slater's pro surfer and I was able to get the music files out of the audio archive using ADPCM Player but I cannot play them b/c the sound won't work on it and it crashes but I can rip out the files. I used another program called MFAudio 1.1 and I can play the files I ripped with ADPCM but I cannot get the settings right. Several numbers get very close but I did this with a song from another game and I eventually found the right number but that doesn't seem to be working this time. I read that you can use a hex editor to find the interleave number but I managed to get it to spit out 079A. Now I'm not sure how to convert that to something I can stick in MFAudio to get it to spit out a perfect copy of the music tracks.

Attached is a zip file of one of the tracks. Let me know the interleave b/c I can't find it.

I've been wondering if there was some type of program where you put in any PS2 game into your PC and it uses the driver files on the game discs to read the audio/music. Would that be possible?

Link to zip file.
    http://files.videohelp.com/u/115761/068%20-%20STREAM_03cf44c0.zip
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please do not post the same question in a different thread and then open another thread on the same topic,i deleted your other post.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know that foobar2000 can play and convert playstation 2 sound format files (.PSF2/.MINIPSF2). Your file, attached above has an PS2 extension.
    *.psf2 files plays and convert just fine on my foobar2000.

Link to the foobar2000 component
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks TuNk I will try this program.

UPDATE:
    I've tried the program and I got this error.

Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported file format):
    "C:\Users\Coondog\Desktop\Game Stuff\STREAM\ADPCMPLAYERSTREASM\068 - STREAM_03cf44c0.PS2"

I've installed the component you provided into foobar.

I can play this file using MFAudio but I cannot find the right number to put in so the song plays right.

Any other ideas or do I just keep trying numbers until I happen to hit it. If I could figure out what the 079A is then maybe that's it because on another site someone wrote that you can open your song file in a hex editor and copy the first 0x10 of data and then do a search and where the next instance of this same code I think the number is your interleave.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by coondog1234 View Post
    on another site someone wrote that you can open your song file in a hex editor and copy the first 0x10 of data and then do a search and where the next instance of this same code I think the number is your interleave.
    Try 16 decimal or 10 hex.

If you look at the hex data the first 16 bytes of the file are

Code:
    0c 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    That sequence is repeated over and over again for a total of 832 bytes. Then there is a change to:

Code:
    17 02 f1 f1 2c e3 1d f3 01 ef 21 fe 20 e1 3f ce
    So maybe the interleave is 832?

Then at 2016 bytes it goes back to the first sequence. 2016 is not an integer multiple of 832. But is an integer multiple of 416, ie, half of 832. So maybe the interleave is 416? Or maybe try half of 416, or a quarter of 416, etc.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Jul 2016 at 08:54.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UOTE=jagabo;2452418]
    Originally Posted by coondog1234 View Post
    on another site someone wrote that you can open your song file in a hex editor and copy the first 0x10 of data and then do a search and where the next instance of this same code I think the number is your interleave.
    Try 16 decimal or 10 hex.

If you look at the hex data the first 16 bytes of the file are

Code:
    0c 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    That sequence is repeated over and over again for a total of 832 bytes. Then there is a change to:

Code:
    17 02 f1 f1 2c e3 1d f3 01 ef 21 fe 20 e1 3f ce
    So maybe the interleave is 832?

Then at 2016 bytes it goes back to the first sequence. 2016 is not an integer multiple of 832. But is an integer multiple of 416, ie, half of 832. So maybe the interleave is 416? Or maybe try half of 416, or a quarter of 416, etc.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for bad typing im on my phone.
    Im not really a programmer and not that familiar with hex but Mfaudio interleave values can only be multiples of 10 like 450 for example is valid so something like 432 will cause mfaudio to give an error. That's in my experience. I've tried every value from 100 bytes to 1000 and the song still doesn't play right. Can't test right now because I'm away from my pc and won't be back for a few days.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by coondog1234 View Post
    Im not really a programmer and not that familiar with hex but Mfaudio interleave values can only be multiples of 10 like 450 for example is valid so something like 432 will cause mfaudio to give an error.
    10 hex or 10 decimal? The file has an obvious pattern that repeats every 16 bytes (decimal). 16 decimal is equal to 10 hex. So I suspect the values you're entering are hex.

I've tried every value from 100 bytes to 1000 and the song still doesn't play right.
    Can you enter values like A0, B0, C0? If so, the follow table gives the equivalent hex values for the values I gave earlier:

Code:
    dec = hex
    ---------
     16 =  10
    208 =  D0
    416 = 1A0
    832 = 340
    Note how the hex values all end with a zero.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Im not really a programmer and not that familiar with hex but Mfaudio interleave values can only be multiples of 10 like 450 for example is valid so something like 432 will cause mfaudio to give an error.
    10 hex or 10 decimal? The file has an obvious pattern that repeats every 16 bytes (decimal). 16 decimal is equal to 10 hex. So I suspect the values you're entering are hex.

Coondog1234: I'm not sure, I think it's hex When I hover over the box where you type in the interleave number I get thisClick image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot104_NEW.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	37842
    So yes it is hex.

I've tried every value from 100 bytes to 1000 and the song still doesn't play right.
    Can you enter values like A0, B0, C0? If so, the follow table gives the equivalent hex values for the values I gave earlier:

Code:
    dec = hex
    ---------
     16 =  10
    208 =  D0
    416 = 1A0
    832 = 340
    Note how the hex values all end with a zero.
    I can but it gives the same results as a number but neither the numbers you gave or the 079A that I found earlier didn't work.

Please note that I am not the best at math or hexadecimal stuff like the people on the TV Show Big Bang Theory. All the past times of ripping audio were done by using values posted online or blind luck. One day when I have nothing to do I'll get on it and try every number from 1000 to whatever number results in clean audio then I'll take a screencap of the song playing right. if you get any more results please post them. I'd like to learn how to do this myself like reading hex code and finding interleave values but I just can't get it.

Would be nice if MFAudio or some other program would let you play the file and switch the numbers on the fly like the tiny arrows in ADPCM player instead of delete, type in new number, oh that number doesnt work, delete, try another number.

You could just hit play and then go click click click on the up arrow until it sounds right. similar to searching a TV code on a universal remote how you just click on the volume buttons until your TV responds. Would be a lot faster in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This may be more difficult than I thought. Turns out each song has it's own interleave and offset settings. I was able to convert some of the songs but not the one linked above. This is the first time I've ever seen this. Usually you find the settings for one song and you just apply to the rest.
    will keep trying.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Could you upload one of the songs that worked and the interleave value used?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Could you upload one of the songs that worked and the interleave value used?

I've uploaded a zip of one of the songs. in MFAudio put in: interleave 800 offset 240. The other songs apparently have different values. I found a file named stream.snd in the sound directory of the game. if you open it in notepad it has all the offset data but I think that's the offset in the stream.VBC archive file not the offset in each song file. I have included the stream.snd file as well.

Like I mentioned before I found the values for these two songs using a lot of trial and error. I am puzzled by this as it's the first rip where each song had different interleave and offset values. If I knew a damn thing about working with hex then I would know what to look for.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote