VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I shot a video via android cell phone in vertical position. it gives wide black borders left and right that does not look right on monitor./screen.
    Being a newbie I will like to know that is there a way to convert it in the horizontal format. If I rotate it 90 degree it is in horizontal format but the buildings/trees etc . become horizontal when in fact they are vertical.
    When I tried to stretch the same in Super software it became full screen but the things were deformed to the extent of looking cartoons.
    please advise if there is a way out.
    thanks regards
    vkwd7
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can (must?) rotate to fix it so that in ALL players/apps it shows verticals as vertical & horizontals as horizontal. However, you DID make the mistake, and in doing so, you recorded it in a portrait mode (tall & thin AR) as opposed to landscape mode (fat & wide AR).
    The ONLY 2 ways to get it back to both upright AND with proper landscape AR AND not stretched proportions is to rotate + zoom & crop, which means you will lose a lot of the original material, or to rotate + pad the sides (either with standard pillarbox bars or with additional overlaid content).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vkwd7 View Post
    I shot a video via android cell phone in vertical position. it gives wide black borders left and right that does not look right on monitor./screen.
    No kidding. -)
    Did you know that before you shot it?

Here is some advice:

But, it's your lucky day, there is a fix:

Rotate the video and turn your monitor!

Quote Quote  
  4. They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the help.
    I have taken a vow not to shoot vertically with cell phone.
    Any how I was able to resize the vertical shot movie to horizontal one in Aviutl by using the filter clipping and resizing. although a little distortion is there but it served my purpose.
    thanks
    regards
    vkwd7
    Quote Quote