VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When i add the MP4 files to a new project, i need to select the format for converting to , to play on a dvd player? They are video and audio.

I used this a few years ago, but forgot, if it converts them automatically.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Oh boy! We're supposed to guess what's the software you're using...
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry about that, assumed this was Dvd flick forums. it is Dvd Flick
    sorry
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    As far as I am aware, DVDFlick's only purpose is to create DVD-video. It should be automatic. One thing you need to be careful about is whether DVDFlick is making a PAL or NTSC DVD. In the US we use NTSC, so look in the options/preferences and make sure of this.

Most of us have moved on to AVStoDVD when creating DVD-video with an all in one program like this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So if i put the Mp4's in the project and use the NTCS , to create the dvd, that may be compatible to play on a dvd player?

I was thinking they had to be converted to another format for some reason.

AVS works better?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by prestonrc42 View Post
    I was thinking they had to be converted to another format for some reason.
    It does - NTSC DVD-compliant video and NTSC DVD-compliant audio. And then authored, maybe together with chapters and subtitles.
    AVS works better?
    Most people here think so, yes. Not least of all because it has a better MPEG-2 encoder available. When setting it up choose to use the HCEnc encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    To choose NTSC, click the "Project settings" bottun, select the "Video" tab and, next to "Target format", choose NTSC.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by prestonrc42 View Post
    AVS works better?
    Most people here think so, yes. Not least of all because it has a better MPEG-2 encoder available. When setting it up choose to use the HCEnc encoder.
    AVStoDVD is updated more frequently and has much better support. However, I find DVD Flick more versatile, especially when one needs to create several titles (VTS) with several video sources being joined in each title. This flexibility comes in handy, for example, when creating a DVD from camcorder footage, which is, in many cases, composed of many small video chunks.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok

Thanks

Been a while since i did this, your statements bring back memories, see what i can do

I may have AVS on the other system.

Thanks again for the prompt replies
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Couple questions, these files i want to put on dvd to play on a dvd player, with DVD Flick, if i enter maybe 20 MP4 files, they all have their own titles, will they automatically run together and view continuously showing their titles, as they go from one to the other, or will they be titled as chapters? They all are instructional files, no copy right involved, and it doesn't matter to me if they run continuous or will they stop at the end of each file? Just curious, i have AVS downloaded not installed.

These are saved to the Hard drive and burnt from there or they can go directly to the dvd drive?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by prestonrc42; 29th Jan 2015 at 21:22.
    Quote Quote  
  10. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When you add several videos into the project, DVD Flick puts each video in its own title. Now, if the titles run continuously or not, that depends on the setting you choose in "Project settings", "Playback" tab, "After a title has finished playing". Here you can choose which action to take.

If, instead, you want videos added as chapters of a title, add the first video to create the title and, after that, select the title, click on "Edit title..." on the right pane, select "Video sources" tab and click "Add". Now you can add as much videos as you want to the same title. Note that, for the added videos to become chapters, you have to check the box "Create chapters on every video source". This option can be found on the "Chapters" tab of the "Edit title..." dialog.
    Quote Quote  
  11. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    These are saved to the Hard drive and burnt from there or they can go directly to the dvd drive?
    The DVD files are always created on the hard drive before they are burnt either by DVD Flick itself or any other program. That depends on your settings ("Project settings", "Burning tab"). I advise you to check "Create ISO image", and NOT check "Burn project to disc". This way, the program will create an ISO image that you can test with, say, VLC and then burn with ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks

With either dvd flick or AVS do the MP4 files convert to same file size,,,, once when i was converting .mov there was a reduction to make better quality i believe,, just curious

Thanks

Sorry missed the last post, i use IMG ok and save as you say

Been awhile
    Last edited by prestonrc42; 29th Jan 2015 at 22:18.
    Quote Quote  
  13. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The size of each title depends mostly on its duration. You cannot expect the file size to be the same, since the MP4 files will be reencoded to MPEG2 and resized to 720x480. DVD Flick will choose an appropriate bitrate depending on the total project duration and the target size selected, which is 4.3GB by default.

As for the quality, if the total duration of the project is one hour or less, you'll have maximum quality. If the total time is longer then one hour, the longer the duration the worse quality you get, since the program will need to reduce the bitrate so that the project can fit on the disc (assuming it's a single layer blank media).
    Quote Quote  
  14. @Keyser

It is better to playback a mp4 at 720 or 1080 as it is, on a big screen (+55") ?

Or it is better to re-encode to a MPEG 2 & re-size to a PAL 720x576 or NTSC 720x480 (-1hr project onto a DVD-5) to be playback on the big screen ?
    As @prestonrc42 say:
    This reduction make a better quality.
    ...this last option is what I always do, via AVStoDVD

Or maybe is another better way to keep the original mp4 720 or 1080 to be playback on a big screen: Perhaps on a memory stick & maybe on another format like mkv, etc. ?

Thx. in advance.
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 30th Jan 2015 at 18:22.
    Quote Quote  
  15. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Converting an HD 1080 or 720 to DVD will reduce picture size and reencode. These two operations will bring down quality. If you have a HD file that you can play directly on your TV, then there's no reason why you should convert it in the frst place.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to create an ISO late last night , and after the files were in the project, i clicked create DVD and error message came uo something like, these files are already in music folder, if you continue files will be removed or lost, so i created another folder but the same message came up. At the bottom of the interface the destination was c\owners music videos, i created a folder in there so the destnation just added the name to the original.

I saved the project and it is .dfpproj with the name preceding it i put on it,,

Should i delete this and start over?

Should i copy the files i am trying to get to ISO first to another folder so0 i don't lose them?

Is this a normal error message?

Maybe i loaded it wrong?

Are you supposed to check the finalize box in the settings area?

Don't remember these issues in the past, what ever program i was using, it might not have been DVD Flick.

C:\Users\Owner\Music\pitching this is what it shows when i open the project, and the .dfpproj is there.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  17. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to create an ISO late last night , and after the files were in the project, i clicked create DVD and error message came uo something like, these files are already in music folder, if you continue files will be removed or lost, so i created another folder but the same message came up. At the bottom of the interface the destination was c\owners music videos, i created a folder in there so the destnation just added the name to the original.

I saved the project and it is .dfpproj with the name preceding it i put on it,,

Should i delete this and start over?

Should i copy the files i am trying to get to ISO first to another folder so0 i don't lose them?

Is this a normal error message?

Maybe i loaded it wrong?
    Read the message. It's just telling you that the Project destination folder already exists. In that case it will delete everything in that folder. Just make sure your source videos are someahere else and that you don't need anything in that folder (for example the output of an earlier conversion). If youi're not sure, just choose another destination.

Are you supposed to check the finalize box in the settings area?
    Finalize box? Where?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    More awake today, i tried it again, new project, new destination, , and no error message, i do have to make some room how ever as i suspected drive is on 4 gb free, not enough.

In project settings "burn" is where finalize is.

That has nothing to do with creating the ISO, would only apply to burning the ISO file to dvd right?

I was hoping i could convert and add them to the dvd so i did not need to clear drive space, there is no way to do this?

Thanks in advance

Will DVD Flick, burn this after the ISO is completed or i need IMGBURN, which i have.
    Quote Quote  
  19. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not in the version I'm using (1.3.0.9 v2 build 740).

That has nothing to do with creating the ISO, would only apply to burning the ISO file to dvd right?
    Finalize applies to the burning process itself (writing to disc).

I was hoping i could convert and add them to the dvd so i did not need to clear drive space, there is no way to do this?
    You will need free space at least twice the size of the final project. Space to create the assets (DVD-video compliant audio and video files) and then space to create the ISO.

Will DVD Flick, burn this after the ISO is completed or i need IMGBURN, which i have.
    Don't check the box "Burn project to disc". Just let DVD Flick create the ISO file and the burn it yourself using ImgBurn. Actually, DVD Flick uses ImgBurn to burn the disc, but if you do it yourself, you can test the ISO file prior to burning it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Converting an HD 1080 or 720 to DVD will reduce picture size and reencode. These two operations will bring down quality. If you have a HD file that you can play directly on your TV, then there's no reason why you should convert it in the frst place.
    Thx.
    I always had in my mind that converting a mp4 720 onto a DVD, I was downgrading the quality 'cos we have to comply to the DVD standards.

Just for curiosity.
    How about:
    A diff. process and burn it as a DVD Data ?

Forward more:
    Burn a mp4: 720, 1080, 1440, 2K, 4K, etc. onto a BR-R (standards) to extract the "whole juice"
    ...but the problem is that the BR are becoming lest supported and probably over with it; other than new movies, etc. printed on it ?

P.S.
    My best bet is just to stick with mp4's & mkv's 1080+ on USB Flash Drive's & SSD's.
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 31st Jan 2015 at 15:35.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Not in the version I'm using (1.3.0.9 v2 build 740).

Finalize applies to the burning process itself (writing to disc).

You will need free space at least twice the size of the final project. Space to create the assets (DVD-video compliant audio and video files) and then space to create the ISO.

Don't check the box "Burn project to disc". Just let DVD Flick create the ISO file and the burn it yourself using ImgBurn. Actually, DVD Flick uses ImgBurn to burn the disc, but if you do it yourself, you can test the ISO file prior to burning it.

=========================================

http://www.dvdflick.net/download.php

i tried to update but it says i have the latest version

Before i started this i knew i was short on space if i had to save the ISO,, there is no other way to burn this directly to dvd , because of the conversion factor?

What is the difference in DVDF using the burn vs opening IMG?
    ----------
    [QUOTE=Keyser;2371635]
    Not in the version I'm using (1.3.0.9 v2 build 740). 1.3.0.7 Build 738 with 32 under the 738, but when i hit update, it says i have the latest. there are 6 different categories at the top on the project page, and several settings in each one, but all i need is the ISO, so i'll have to make space apparently. I think i did this wioth Nero before, but i do not have it on this laptop/

thanks
    ---------------------------------------------
    Quote Quote  
  22. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    i tried to update but it says i have the latest version
    Here http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdflick-v2/

there is no other way to burn this directly to dvd , because of the conversion factor?
    The conversion goes like this: MP4 -> Audio/Video assets -> DVD compliant folder. So, as I said, you will need at least twice the project size of free HDD space, even if you choose to burn directly without creating the ISO. If you must do it, check "Burn project to disk" and uncheck "Create ISO image". But this won't require any less free HDD space.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's strange the program is not up to date with it's update feature . My version is not the latest? If so i need uninstall the one i have reinstall the other? If that's the case go to AVS instead, then i'll be learning all over again?

Just for conversation, why do you ned more space if i am burning directly to the dvd? Is it it is still using extra space to create just not making and keeping the ISO? Seems like it would be reverse but not so if it's still using my drive

"So, as I said, you will need at least twice the project size of free HDD space, even if you choose to burn directly without creating the ISO?

It's been a couple years since i did this
    tks
    Quote Quote  
  24. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's strange the program is not up to date with it's update feature . My version is not the latest? If so i need uninstall the one i have reinstall the other? If that's the case go to AVS instead, then i'll be learning all over again?
    DVD Flick v2 is developed and mantained by a different author than v1. That's why the update feature doesn't work. To install v2, which by the way is much faster than v1, just uninstall v1 first. It's no big deal: Start menu -> DVD Flick -> Uninstall. There...

Just for conversation, why do you ned more space if i am burning directly to the dvd? Is it it is still using extra space to create just not making and keeping the ISO? Seems like it would be reverse but not so if it's still using my drive
    I already told you, but I'm gonna tell you again. Nothing is burnt DIRECTLY to DVD. First, your MP4 will be converted to a video file (m2v) and an audio file (ac3), that takes HDD space. Then the m2v and the ac3 are multiplexed into a program stream (mpg). It also takes space. Then the mpg is authored into a DVD file structure (IFO, BUP, VOB). More HDD space. Now an ISO file can (optionally) be created. More space. Only then, the project is finally burnt to the media.

So, as you can see, it can take up to four times the project size in free HDD space. Usually it only takes twice, because DVD Flick (unless told otherwise) deletes intermidiate encoded audio and video files.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got the new one installed, looks like the same interface, now i getting get the ext hdr out and move some stuff

tomorrow

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    1DVD Flick doesn't give the conversion features that i need that i can see to do this unless it does it auto?

2 are wmv or wav formats that dvd players will recognize if i remember they v are not?

3 i was going to use zamzar but i did not see NTSC
    Quote Quote  
  27. You're hijacking someone else's thread?
    1. So don't use it. DVDFlick takes most kinds of videos and converts them to DVDs playable on DVD players. There are two guides for its use at the DVDFlick page on this site. Better is AvsToDVD.
    2. No, WMV is not compatible with DVD players.
    3. Never heard of zamzar.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    no , i did not remember that i had joined some time ago ,so inadvertently , got registered twice, i did not remember sorry, i did get a reply on the site from both, thanks for asking., both are not necessary, was on my other pc and those records i did not have until the emails came, sorry

also thanks for the info

zamzar is an online file converter, have used it for some files
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!