VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

Any DVD ripping programs someone can recommend?

I have used 123CopyDVD Platinum for a few years. What I would like to do is have another program as a back-up or that does different formats.

I looked at Open Cloners UltraBox and File converter program as trials. But they had some issues. It didn't work out too well and kept crashing, wouldn't open or didn't have a high enough bit-rate for export. Stream cloner was ok, but had limitations and it was only a trial version. There was also poor copying of screen capture and glitches/blocking of video and screen captures. If I can't rely on it, I can't pay the costs of the programs.

I tried DVDfab's full-suite trial. Sometimes it worked well. But I had issues with certain discs. Interlacing issues: de-interlacing on and off didn't work or bottom-field came first instead of top-field. I could not successfully convert to flv, avi or mp4 files, etc. The price right now for the suite and a life-time license is good but again, If I cannot rely on it, I can't pay the costs of the programs.

Part of why I can have such a big a hit and miss with different programs is I collect DVD's and Blu-Rays that are obscure, homemade, "indy", independent or underground and not as popular. When using the 3 programs above I could easily convert my Movies...usually. But some of the other ones worked with 123CopyDVD platinum only. Out of most of my discs I have almost all of them done. 2 just don't work in my optical drives.

I've tried free programs, but those are usually limited. I don't mind paying a reasonable price, but I want a good suite for DVD's and Blu-Rays. I would post in the blu-ray forum too, but I don't want to double post yet.

If anyone can recommend these other products I would appreciate it too (pay or not, Microsoft Silverlight or not, etc), Or I'll move these questions to another forum:

- Screen capture
    - Programs like Open Cloners Stream Cloner and 123CopyDVD's Stream, Rip and Record
    - VCD and SVCD to files and back-up with support for ver 1.0, 2, etc. (I've tried and use ISO Buster. It's good, but lacked VCD ver 1.0 so I have to manually capture.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use anydvd for ripping and convert the dvd with free software like vidcoder (mp4,mkv), handbrake (mp4,mkv), autogk (avi).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you Baldrick. I will check them out.

Is there any programs that are an all-in-one?

I looked in the download sections and there are many programs. If I have to I will download them all and look at them. But they are not guaranteed to give all the features if they are a trial version, so I could waste a lot of time.

If there are a top five or ten that anyone can recommend for DVD's, Blu-Ray, Screen capture, File conversion, etc it would be great to know.

I'm going to start on those programs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Like Baldrick I use the same. But in times when I have
    damaged or scratched disk IsoBuster and or AnyReader
    have saved me 99% of the time.
    What The ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. @SyncroScales
    DVDFab9 all in one ...but I only use it for ripping.
    I think all-in-one always gonna have glitches. Just like problems with many all-in-one printers, etc.

http://www.dvdfab.cn/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks again.

I like IsoBuster.

DVDFab works well most of the time. I am only using the trial version, but I have had issues. The AVI files had interlacing issues or out of sync audio and video. I tried to rip into flv and it did not work at all. Mp4 gave me trouble. I also ripped a dvd into AVI, then opened it in windows media player. It gave me an error about AVI Chunk Viewer and a graph. Then the movie worked. I also tried to open the file in Real Player and it did not even work. I contacted support.

Is there any reason the all-in-ones have glitches?
    Quote Quote  
  7. @SyncroScales
    You can dump windows media player & Real Player ...for VLC player, like most of us did long time ago.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Is DVD Decryptor the same as DVD Shrink? Is this a valid web-page? http://dvd-decrypter.soft32.com/free-download/ or http://www.official-dvdshrink.org/.

I think these recommendations cover what I am looking for. But just incase I missed anything. I am looking for:

DVD and Blu-Ray
    Iso images and Disc Folders
    Rip discs to files (AVI, MP4, MPEG2, etc)
    Convert Files to AVI, MP4, MPEG2, etc
    Burn disc images/folders (if needed.)

Export audio from video
    Maybe - condense DVD's and Blu-rays to smaller sized media.

I think that is all. I have video editing software and was recommended VLC player for video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No, dvd decrypter and dvd shrink are not same. And the official dvd shrink is just some crap. Download from our site, www.videohelp.com/tools . But those rippers haven't been updated in 100 years now so....

You will not find one all-in-one solution that works perfect. Most free converters handles dvd to and blu-ray to conversion better like vidcoder, handbrake, bdrebuilder, autogk, etc. But they can't rip.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Decrypter was trust worthy for awhile. But starting 3-4 years ago, copyright got a lot tougher and it started to fail. I made the switch over to AnyDVD and have't looked back since. Simply amazing. It's funny though. For years I didn't know anything about encoding. I ripped VOB files and then would use MPEG Streamclip to make Quicktime clips of scenes to cut fan videos with. I'd always either rent/buy movies and shows.

However, I started running out of space to keep all my DVD's and blu-ray's. So a year ago I started using Handbreak to encode everything onto my external drives. For older TV shows and movies that never got a bluray release, I use Netflix. For everything else I'll get a 1080p source via torrent and then re-encode into 720p at a smaller size for my external drives. With the use of Handbreak's advanced settings, it's amazing how good a smaller 720p file can look. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference from the 1080p in all honesty.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try MakeMKV as an all-in-one solution, that is take the main movie and turn it into a standalone file (.mkv in this case). you can however remux and/or re encode the .mkv with any other tools out there once you've ripped it to the .mkv

The Beta is free and it is almost as good as AnyDVD for defeating DRM.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I know that these programs and the free ones have worth. I don't mind spending some money. But a lot of people are saying the free is good.

I am picky about the quality of the rips and outputs. I want the best I can get. Small sizes are good. But I have a lot of external or internal space and large files are not bad.

Has/does anyone buy the lifetime licenses? Is it better to get 2 years? A lot can happen in 1 year...

If I were to make my own videos and include the common mp4,mkv file types: How often can there be problems when exporting with video camera footage or other file types? Typically there shouldn't when someone is using a video editing program, since it should work out. But I don't know what to expect since most of the editing would be on my own footage.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!