VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. We plugged the external speaker into the wrong port (the headphone port). Is there any way to recover the original audio? The video is fine. https://forum.videohelp.com/images/smilies/sad.gif
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Speaker? Headphones ARE speakers, so plugging in an external speaker would only likely just provide a weak sound output.

Or,
    Are you meaning you plugged an external MICROPHONE into the headphone port? If so, you are screwed. There is NO audio recorded to recover.

Scott

<edit>Actually, if you meant to use an external mike and plugged into headphones, you should still have original on-cam mike audio recorded</edit>
    Quote Quote  
  3. Scott,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately we plugged the external microphone in the headphone jack. I thought, as you stated, that we could still retrieve the original audio. I imported the file into Adobe Audition and Adobe Premiere; however, I could not find a way to get to the internal, original, on-cam mike audio. When I tried Sony chat, the support people said there was nothing I could do.

John
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    <edit>Actually, if you meant to use an external mike and plugged into headphones, you should still have original on-cam mike audio recorded</edit>
    That was the first thing I thought also, if you did not have anything plugged into the mic jack if it has an onboard mic it should have still recorded audio regardless if something was plugged into the headphone jack, no matter what it was.

But if it does not have a built in mic, then yeah, your out of luck.
    And I don't know if your camera has a built in mic.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The camera has a built in microphone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are a number of operational & settings info that I don't yet know that will determine whether or not you have audio to recover:

1. Was ANYTHING (else?) plugged into the external mike jack (even if intermittently)?
    2. Did you have Auto record levels or Manual? If manual, was the level set to minimum?
    3. Did you test the audio AND have audio levels display turned on, seeing a signal? Was this showing a signal during recording?
    4. Did you have the "built-in zoom mic" turned on or off?
    5. Did you have the "auto-wind NR" feature turned on or off?
    6. Which audio mode did you have it set to? 5.1ch or 2ch?
    7. Did you have the "closer voice" feature turned on or off?
    8. Did you record in MP4 format? or AVCHD format?
    9. What software are you using that is telling/showing you that you don't have audio? Just Audition & Premiere? Which versions? Have those been known to accept AC3 audio before?

Please run a clip (from your bad batch of clips) through MediaInfo and post what it says (text format) in detail.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Was ANYTHING (else?) plugged into the external mike jack (even if intermittently)? - No, there was nothing else plugged in to the camera
    [/B]2. Did you have Auto record levels or Manual? If manual, was the level set to minimum? Auto
    3. Did you test the audio AND have audio levels display turned on, seeing a signal? Was this showing a signal during recording?The audio display was on and showing a strong signal. I do not recall anything that suggested we hadf the external speaker plugged in the wrong port. In fact, we filmed the day before and at the reception with no issues at all
    4. Did you have the "built-in zoom mic" turned on or off? I do not know if Sony's external mike overrides the built-in or not. I never turned it off.
    5. Did you have the "auto-wind NR" feature turned on or off?Auto-wind NR was on
    6. Which audio mode did you have it set to? 5.1ch or 2ch?Honestly, I do not recall. It would have likely been the default setting.
    7. Did you have the "closer voice" feature turned on or off?Closer voice would have been off
    8. Did you record in MP4 format? or AVCHD format?AVCHD
    9. What software are you using that is telling/showing you that you don't have audio? Just Audition & Premiere? Which versions? Have those been known to accept AC3 audio before? I used the current software from Adobe. I need to check which versions were downloaded yesterday
    Quote Quote  
  8. General
    ID : 0 (0x0)
    Complete name : I:\Christopher - Renee\STREAM\00007.MTS
    Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 1.98 GiB
    Duration : 30mn 14s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 9 368 Kbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 18.0 Mbps

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=2, N=15
    Codec ID : 27
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 8 731 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 16.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 440 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.187
    Stream size : 1.84 GiB (93%)

Audio
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : 129
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 256 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -578ms
    Stream size : 55.4 MiB (3%)

Text
    ID : 4608 (0x1200)
    Format : PGS
    Codec ID : 144
    Duration : 30mn 13s
    Delay relative to video : -67ms
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Good signs: Nothing plugged in. Auto level on. Audio meters visible & strong.
    Bad signs: 5.1 is the default but your recording shows 2.0 (not so bad, but why NOT defaulting?)

2 more Qs:
    1. When opened in Adobe apps, did the clip show A) Audio tracks missing B) 2 ch Audio tracks with NO visible levels C) 2 ch Audio tracks with material on it not intended ?
    2. Can you (allowed?) post a short clip here for us to look at?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. There were no missing audio tracks in Adobe. I simply assumed that the audio tracks seen in Audition were from the left and right speakers on the external microphone. Attached is a short clip.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Was the clip you posted modified or trimmed? You may have somehow mishandled your 5.1 encoded sound incorrectly into stereo. (As Scott suggested.) If you still have the originals, there may still be a way to correctly decode it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What you have there (assuming it wasn't modified) is corrupted audio, not NO audio. Sounds like either a 5.1 stream that got mis-labeled as a 2.0 stream and so all the bits are in the wrong place, or (more likely) something making the mike contacts stuck so that it is receiving digital noise/interference, or POSSIBLY, it is LTC (sounds similar).

Assuming it MIGHT be LTC, I reconverted & remuxed it to ProRes.MOV with LPCM audio, and loaded it into DSLRsync. No dice: not recognized as LTC under any circumstances.

I sure HOPE these were modified clips now, otherwise, your audio is NG and lost as far as I can tell.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!