VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    new issue: Invalid Server Certificate

this message is preventing me from visiting sites or downloading files!

i disabled malewarebytes but i still can't resolve...keep getting same message w/ no option to bypass/go ahead at my own risk.

how do i resolved this ? how to i turn it off ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Looking at some fixes for "Invalid Server Certificate" ...most point to a clock error on your computer. (After you fix your clock, you must reboot.)

Three different fixes here: http://superuser.com/questions/523890/how-to-turn-off-opera-server-certificate-messages

One related to the clock but you might try the others also.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Before someone blasts me since this is a old thread, the problem is still there even with V12.18 which is the latest modified from the original v12. Also, unless there is another browser that has a built in e-mail client, conventional menu & navigation bars, full customizing ability, don't waste time telling me about other browsers. If you must know I have tried Chrome and it stinks. But, I do use Firefox (as a emergency backup) for these lame, poorly written websites which is only halfway there

This lockup problem is getting worst in the past few months with certain lame web sites. I can not find any pattern to it other than sites that have majorly 'long' pages where one has to endlessly 'scroll' to get to the bottom of the page (which is utterly ridiculous to write any 'page that way!)

I use 'Process Hacker' to monitor services & processes running and their memory & processor usage. When this happens , PH show Opera using around 13% processor usage which is very little and surely shouldn't 'lock up' anything, but it does. I see memory usage up to 600MB which I feel is high, but that shouldn't matter either since I have 8GB and the total in use is around 1.5 to maybe 2GB.

What I have always done is to;
    1. Empty cookies at exit,
    2. Empty cache at exit,
    3. No auto updates,
    4. not use Opera Turbo,
    5. All of the settings under Advance/Content (Javascript etc.) at their default.

I do run Ghostery & AdBlocker. The only issue there (other than some sites whining about using adblocks) is Ghostery blocking some functions in certain sites & forums. That isn't the problem here, I just mentioned it.

The site 'The Daily Koss" is one of many problem sites.

Example (that is only a minor probelm example);
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/06/25/1542475/-Why-do-Boomers-want-to-Destroy-Millennials

After the page 'settles down' (finishes loading, maybe two minutes, yes I said minutes), scrolling is choppy, but that page doesn't 'lockup' the browser anymore. I looked at the list that 'Ghostery' blocked and the count was 11 sites. I have seen counts of over 18 from some web sites.
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Vivaldi is a new Chromium based browser from one of the co-founders of the old Opera team in case anyone is interested.

Seamonkey is still out there as well. Basically Firefox with a Thunderbird based email client rolled into one package if that is what you need.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was aware of Vivald,i but after I saw it's GUI, it no better than the other clones (Chrome specifically & to a lesser extent Firefox). I wrote that off fast, it's as bad or worse than Chromedome.

As far as Firefox & Thunderbird, they are separate programs. Besides Firefox's Bookmarks stink. Too many unnecessary default folders that you can't delete and there is the progam of FF not recognizing a defines 'home page'. There are plenty of 'hits' when I searched for the issue that is not new!
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes Vivaldi is as lot like Chrome and at this point I would not use it as a daily browser. It isn't finished enough.

Seamonkey is an offshoot project that basically combines the functions of Firefox and Thunderbird into a single program. Firefox and Seamonkey have extension that can give you back the older look and feel of the interface. I can delete all folders in Firefox. There are a bunch of junk ones to start but I've had no issue getting rid of them. I'm not familiar with the home page issue so I can't comment on that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth View Post
    Seamonkey is still out there as well. Basically Firefox with a Thunderbird based email client rolled into one package if that is what you need.
    ++

Seamonkey is an offshoot project that basically combines the functions of Firefox and Thunderbird into a single program.
    Wrong and wrong.

Seamonkey is the successor to the Mozilla Application Suite, which is the successor to the olde-and-goode Netscape Communicator.

"Seamonkey" was the codename of the Netscape 5 project

Therefore, Seamonkey is not a "modification of Firefox".
    Firefox has always been an evil modification of the original Netscape Navigator.
    In the 90s, «Mozilla == Netscape».

Just like Internet Exploder and the WebKit/Blink browsers, Firefox is for newbies.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    El Heggunte;
    Don't you mean "Idiot Exploiter"?

As far as Firefox is concerned, it's far better than everything else I have seen, tried and/or used regarding having a 'Classic' GUI look & feel. I wish they would revamp their bookmarks menu setup, it really brings the rest of it down.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    As far as Firefox is concerned, it's far better than everything else I have seen, tried and/or used regarding having a 'Classic' GUI look & feel. I wish they would revamp their bookmarks menu setup, it really brings the rest of it down.
    IMHO you should give a try to Pale Moon (I'm assuming that you haven't tried it yet, of course).
    Basically, it's Firefox minus the endless problems which appear after each "upgrade".
    More importantly, it keeps the "pre-Australis" look and feel

Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
    El Heggunte;
    Don't you mean "Idiot Exploiter"?
    Possibly
    Image Attached Images  
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 30th Jun 2016 at 13:39. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    pre-Australis
    ??

I'll take a look, I never heard of it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm aware of the history of Seamonkey. Maybe the term Offshoot is incorrect. However, the Seamonkey Project page does clearly state that a large part of it's code is shared with Firefox and Thunderbird. I'd imagine it has far more in common with those projects that it does with Netscape or the Mozilla Application Suite at this point.
    Quote Quote  
  12. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I'm aware of the history of Seamonkey. Maybe the term Offshoot is incorrect. However, the Seamonkey Project page does clearly state that a large part of it's code is shared with Firefox and Thunderbird. I'd imagine it has far more in common with those projects that it does with Netscape or the Mozilla Application Suite at this point.
    Regarding the "layout engine" (Gecko), surely Seamonkey uses the same things as Firefox, there is no point in re-inventing the wheel.
    However,

1) keep in mind that the Mozilla Suite is older than Firefox, and
    2) pointing out the (few) similarities between Seamonkey and Firefox is just an exercise of advertising&marketing

Regarding the *user interface* and the direct customization options, Seamonkey clearly is closer to the original «Mozilla philosophy»

As for Pale Moon... well, after a couple of years, I decided to try its latest version, and...
    honestly, I like it even less than I liked its older incarnations
    If I wanted the "idiot-proofness" of Firefox, I would use Firefox, not Pale Moon.
    BTW, only morons like to create "idiot-proof" applications...
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 1st Jul 2016 at 16:01. Reason: dämn typos
    Quote Quote  
  13. I never could get Pale Moon to import my Firefox bookmarks. Sticking with Firefox for now.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  14. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    For the time being at least, besides Seamonkey, I use K-Meleon.
    But neither is "perfect", sadly.

I really would like to use a Webkit/Blink browser that DOES NOT have a dumbed-down interface.
    But according to some pages I have read, rewriting the source-code of Chromium in order to separate the layout engine from the fäggy UI would be "too much work" for the (lazy) programmers
    Quote Quote