VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Is there are way to remove or at least decrease the frame blending effect caused by a previously rendered video with smart Resampling enabled in Sony Vegas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	resample_anim.gif
Views:	761
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	26293
    Quote Quote  
  2. In theory it's possible to improve , but results depends heavily on the cadence of the blends, the exact type of blend, and amount of "good" frames are present

There are various deblend scripts used in avisynth, unblend, deblend, c deblend, removeblend, many others . Some are geared towards specific types of blends
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    In theory it's possible to improve , but results depends heavily on the cadence of the blends, the exact type of blend, and amount of "good" frames are present

There are various deblend scripts used in avisynth, unblend, deblend, c deblend, removeblend, many others . Some are geared towards specific types of blends
    Thanks for the quick response poison. The frame blending effect is produced by smart resampling 29.94 FPS videos ripped from Youtube and rendered at 25 FPS. My client doesn't notice this, but I do, and it looks awful.

It would be great if there is an alternative way to do this inside Vegas (free or paid) to be able to split the parts that are affected without leaving the program.
    Last edited by lonrot; 9th Jul 2014 at 18:21.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by lonrot View Post

Thanks for the quick response poison. The frame blending effect is produced by smart resampling 29.94 FPS videos ripped from Youtube and rendered at 25 FPS. My client doesn't notice this, but I do, and it looks awful.

It would be great if there is an alternative way to do this inside Vegas (free or paid) to be able to split the parts that are affected without leaving the program.

Then why don' t you just re-download the original YT video ??

No way to deblend within vegas, free or paid that I know of.

When you say "split the parts" did you just want to cut them out ? That leaves you with gaps and jerky footage. It's already bad enough going 29.97=>25 (higher to lower FPS) vs. lower to higher FPS

I was referring to external avisynth scripts with avisynth

restorefps() is geared for convertfps() style FPS changes, which is similar to what vegas uses. The problem is if there is editing on top of the FPS change, then the cadence pattern changes, it's no longer regular and way more difficult
    Quote Quote  
  5. Most of the videos are 3-5 minute Top 5's, edited all the way through with music and overlays, for an specific 5 second scene it would mean ripping an entire 45 minute gameplay just to find that scene.

Avisynth is alright. I will add both original and modified video tracks in Vegas and slice them together.

Can you post an example for restorefps? Recovering a 29.94 fps video which was rendered at 25 fps?
    Quote Quote  
  6. actually restorefps won't work for you ; it will only work on a low to high conversion (e.g. 25=> 29.97)

If quality is important I would download the video , deblenders aren't perfect either at detection or repair

You could use cdeblend or srestore and use omode=1 which would replace the blend with the next frame, or omode=0 (replace with previous frame) . That way it will look like smart resample=off . It still sucks because I'm assuming the original 29.97 footage has unique frames. The 25 "fixed" footage will have small jerks.

Download the YT video if you care about this even a little
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You could use cdeblend or srestore and use omode=1 which would replace the blend with the next frame, or omode=0 (replace with previous frame)
    I tried with this script:

Code:
    Import("Srestore.avsi")
    Import("spinoff.mpg")
    Srestore(omode=1)
    Virtualdub returns:
    Script error: Invalid arguments to function "Srestore"
    (C:\Users\lonrot\Downloads\fs.avs, line 3)
    And with:

Code:
    DirectShowSource("spinoff.mpg")
    Srestore(omode=1)
    Script error: there is no function named "mt_makediff"
    (Srestore.avsi, line 46)
    Quote Quote  
  8. http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Srestore

mt_makediff is part of masktools2

look at the section "required filters"
    Quote Quote  
  9. look at the section "required filters"
    Do you need all those filters listed to make it work?

With masktools2 there are no errors but the video looks exactly the same as the original.

Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\mt_masktools-26.dll")
    Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Srestore.avsi")
    DirectShowSource("spinoff.mpg")
    Srestore(omode=1)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Try using a frame accurate source filter instead of directshowsource

You can try adjusting the settings , thresholds, or even try another deblend function

But I would just download the original. It's a no brainer.

Even if you get it working ok, it will miss some, perhaps generate some false positives (ruin some good frames by replacing with duplicates) . And even if it worked 100% accurate, it will still be jerky, because you are missing frames from the original

You noticed the blends, but "blends" by definition "blend in" . If your buddy didn't notice the blends, chances are he will notice the duplicates and jerks - they are way more noticable to average person
    Quote Quote  
  11. Better to field blend 30p to 25i. The blends are visible for a shorter period of time and... uh... blend in better. And the jerks are smaller.
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th Jul 2014 at 21:26.
    Quote Quote  
  12. It's actually worse than I thought . I did some tests and vegas does 100% blends for the 29.97=>25p , but variable each frame. There are no clean frames. It's not like convertfps(); at least with convertfps() there are 1 in 5 clean frames when you go 29.97=>25.

I shamelessly took jagabo's famous 24v30v60.avi clip, took out the 30p section and made a 29.97 clip to import into vegas, smart resampled out a 25p clip
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. does 100% blends for the 29.97=>25p , but variable each frame. There are no clean frames
    Yes, that's exactly how it looks. So, you are giving it a death sentence? No possible solution for this?
    Quote Quote  
  14. It might be possible if you have the exact ratio, in theory with a very clean test clip like that. And I remember didee pulling some magic out of hats (he actually fixed something similar with a crazy number of blends), but I can't see a way to "fix" that .

It's more academic since the 29.97 original is available on youtube for him

But how would you replicate that vegas style of blending / fps conversion in avisynth ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Perhaps you can give it a quick test? I'm pretty much useless in terms of scripting.

This is the typical footage treatment I get from my client.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62131673/video/frame-blending-vegas.m2t
    Quote Quote  
  16. ConvertFPS() gives the same sort of result -- all blended frames. Though I didn't see any that were a blend of 3 frames, like Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    ConvertFPS() gives the same sort of result -- all blended frames. Though I didn't see any that were a blend of 3 frames, like Vegas.
    Not all blends - If you take the 29.97 clip and use ConvertFPS(25), 1 in 5 is clean
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    ConvertFPS() gives the same sort of result -- all blended frames. Though I didn't see any that were a blend of 3 frames, like Vegas.
    Not all blends - If you take the 29.97 clip and use ConvertFPS(25), 1 in 5 is clean
    Only in the first few cycles. Later in the sequence they're all blended. I suppose eventually it will get around to 4 out of 5 blended again.

The point was: it's some other filter that blends only one frame. I don't remember what it's called.
    Quote Quote  
  19. But I think that's just the difference between 30000/1001 and 30.0

AssumeFPS(30)
    ConvertFPS(25)

This gives 1 in 5 clean

It's blendfps(25) that give similar (but not exactly the same) results to vegas' smart resample. Maybe adjusting the aperture will give similar results

(Blendfps is part of motion.dll, the one I have is Motion_12Dec05.dll)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 10th Jul 2014 at 00:15.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Maybe adjusting the aperture will give similar results
    Any chance you could try that?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by lonrot View Post
    Maybe adjusting the aperture will give similar results
    Any chance you could try that?
    I did - it's emulating similar to what vegas does (introducing blends) , not deblending

You need to understand exactly what vegas is doing (what phase, double blends, triple blends etc...) , before you even attempt to deblend it . Or you can blindly try out some settings with a bunch of deblend filters

But I doubt that footage you uploaded is recoverable. On top of blends, there are compression artifacts. Even with a clean test pattern , I think it's very difficult to "undo"

The srestore / cdeblend methods won't work with simple deblend modes, because you have 100% blends (or very very close to). So even if they detected a "blend" correctly, they would replace it with a neighboring blend! ie. you have WAY too many blends . Even double blend modes cause major problems, the "replacement" often looks way worse then the original (etched ghosting artifacts)

Just download the original unblended footage already!
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 10th Jul 2014 at 10:38.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Just download the original unblended footage already!
    Alrighty!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's something I don't like about Vegas, the Smart Resampling. It's not smart at all.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!