VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Totally new to the encoding and handbrake scene.

trying to encode my dvd ripped iso using handbrake to the modern x264 encoding mkv settings.

My source is 720x480 mpeg-2 from the dvd iso.

but what i noticed is this green band that appears on the left side of the video, which after a while will dissapear then reappear.

I don't think it's telecine or interlaced (then again i'm nub so i'm not sure on that).

Any ideas what it is and how do i get rid of it ?

I tested a left crop 30 which seems to get rid of it, but i'm not sure if that is the right way to go about it, because it changed my resolution .... so wouldn't i lose detail ? also would look odd that one video was using a different reso from my other encodes for the same dvd that didn't have this issue

here is the screenshot of the green band i mentioned
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/swpaFu7.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by Moogle Stiltzkin View Post
    trying to encode my dvd ripped iso using handbrake to the modern x264 encoding mkv settings.
    The DVD format is still a mainstay in commercial video. Re-encoding a lossy encoded original doesn't improve quality unless you're decoding/reencoding to correct a problem or defect. Resizing SD video to HD doesn't automatically make improvements.

My source is 720x480 mpeg-2 from the dvd iso.
    Why is your jpg image 1920x1200? Where is the green band in the image? Is the thin light line on the left of the image what's left of the green band?

I don't think it's telecine or interlaced (then again i'm nub so i'm not sure on that).
    We're not sure either. We don't know what your original video looks like. All we have to go by is an odd-sized jpg with a 1.6:1 aspect ratio.

I tested a left crop 30 which seems to get rid of it, but i'm not sure if that is the right way to go about it, because it changed my resolution .... so wouldn't i lose detail ?
    If the green stripe is all you cropped off, all you lose is the green stripe. But that's likely not the way to go about it. Cropping will alter the display aspect ratio. What will cost detail and quality is resizing and re-encoding.

here is the screenshot of the green band i mentioned
    Thanks, but usually a capture of a video frame is preferred over screen shots.

You should submit a few seconds of your original, unprocessed video rip or from an unaltered VOB file. You can do that easily and quickly with the free DGIndex utility. Here's a brief tutorial from a former member about how it's used: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/359295-Record-without-interlacing?p=2272359&viewful...=1#post2272359
    Last edited by LMotlow; 15th Nov 2014 at 08:49.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't hassle the small stuff. In commercial videos, different scenes can have different dimensions so the area outside of the video frame shows up and disappears in different parts of the movie. Sometimes it's at the top or the bottom or on one of the sides. In high-quality video it's dark black and is not noticeable.
    Your photo looks like an out-of-frame area that's part of the video encode but it's lower res, so it's not black.
    This isn't usually noticeable when you're watching a movie because it's close to the edge of your frame and may disappear in subsequent scenes. If the band at the left is really green - it doesn't look too green in your photo - I would crop the edge with Handbrake. It won't drastically change any of the video quality.
    Last edited by odavy; 15th Nov 2014 at 12:25. Reason: details
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why is your jpg image 1920x1200? Where is the green band in the image? Is the thin light line on the left of the image what's left of the green band?
    yes that thin green line to the left. it shows up when playing the video in mpc-hc. not sure what that is but need to know how to get rid of it.

Don't hassle the small stuff. Crop the edge with Handbrake. It won't drastically change any of the video quality.
    yes i want to but not familiar with it, because as motlow mentioned it will affect aspect ratio. not familiar with this sort of thing. Not to mention people say not to crop when possible because it will do harm to the video quality.

only doing encoding so i don't need to wear my dvd disc all the time. so trying to encode it to a digital x264 mkv digital format which i can store on my QNAP Nas and stream whenever i want, rather than mess with dvds all the time.

PS: if i use anarmophic strict. do i need to use cropping auto ? or should i set to cropping custom 0 0 0 0 ? bit confusing ...... because after encoding i noticed my resolution changed, and i see it's because it auto cropped.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Moogle Stiltzkin View Post
    only doing encoding so i don't need to wear my dvd disc all the time. so trying to encode it to a digital x264 mkv digital format which i can store on my QNAP Nas and stream whenever i want...
    I'm not sure if this will help or not, but you can put the movie into an MKV container without doing any reencoding at all. Just open the IFO in MakeMKV and let it do its thing. You didn't mention wanting to shrink the size so maybe that's not a consideration.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would not mess with the Anamorphic settings. Use the custom crop button - Click on Picture Settings and Preview window. Find a scene in the video that has the green stripe by clicking on the timeline of the preview window till you find a scene with the stripe. Then, on the Picture Settings, click the Custom button (Red Circle in the screenshot http://files.videohelp.com/u/170862/Handbrake%20Crop%202.png ) then click on on the UP arrow on the Left Edge setting till the strip has been cropped in the Preview Window. Handbrake will deliver an acceptable encode of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Not to mention people say not to crop when possible because it will do harm to the video quality.
    Don't always believe what people say.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try a different media player.

When I first started using VidCoder (gui with handbrake), my files were displaying with a green bar (I forget which side). When I switched to MPC-HC for playback, the green bar was no longer displayed.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Not to mention people say not to crop when possible because it will do harm to the video quality.
    Don't always believe what people say.

And there are times when that is perfectly good advice to not crop.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!