VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HI
    i imported video files from my sony HDR-XR150 ( whis is HD AVCHD handycam) to vegas pro.12
    and vegas recognizes it as 1920x1080x12, what does 12 mean here?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look at your clip in mediainfo text mode and I suspect it simply means the bit-resolution of each pixel i.e.12-bit.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Probably 12 bits per pixel (8 bit YUV with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling). 1920x1080 luma with 960x540 chroma.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tnx for your answers
    i dont know what does " bit-resolution" mean but media info for my file goes like this:
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.410

i think jagabo's answer makes sense
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Background info:

RGB (in standard 4:4:4 mode) uses 8 bits for each color primary for each and every pixel: 8 + 8 + 8 = 24bits
    YUV, in full 4:4:4 color sampling mode also uses 24 bits in the same way (just organized differently since no color primaries).
    YUV, in standard professional 4:2:2 color sampling mode uses 8bits for the Y (luma), 8bits for every other U and 8bits for every other V (the 2 chroma values), or (averaged) 8 + 8/2 + 8/2 = 8 + 4 + 4 = 16bits
    YUV, in standard consumer 4:2:0 color sampling mode uses 8 for Y, 8 for every other U and V, but on every other line, so that averages out to 8 + (8/2 /2) + (8/2 /2) = 8 + 2 + 2 = 12bits

Hopefully that will clear everything up. There are other real-world examples beyond these (<8-10-12-14-16-32> bits per color, other sampling options, addition of Alpha, etc), but these are currently the most commonly found.

Scott

**(Actually the 2nd & 3rd YUV numbers correspond to the H and V siting of BOTH the U and V sampling, not to separate respective U and V, but for illustration purposes, it ought to get the point across).
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 17th Apr 2014 at 02:37.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tnx but are more or less bits any different?
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ Yes, less bits = less "information" = less quality

See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by darknesslord View Post
    tnx but are more or less bits any different?
    As I indicated in my previous post, YUV 4:2:0 (aka YV12) has 1/2 (each dimension) the color resolution of YUV 4:4:4 or RGB 4:4;4. But most video formats are YV12 because the human eye has less color resolution than luma resolution. And most camera CCD sensors are similar.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you guys
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you want to see the practical repercussions of 4:2:0 chroma subsampling see the image in this post:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/278330-video-quality-on-SD-TV?p=1674987&viewfull=1#post1674987

White text on a black background (or vice versa) would look the same with both 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 because greyscale information is stored at the same resolution.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!