VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to hardsub an .as s file to 720p mp4, everything is fine, all styles are still in-tact, except that the font I use on Aegisub is changed on the exported video, resulting in smaller size as well. Is there any way to keep the font? I'm using Windows 7.

The exported preview:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ori2.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	33099

How the font is originally supposed to look like:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ori.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	33100

I'm very new to encoding. I would appreciate it if someone can alos suggest me another program that lets me hardsub .as s to mp4. Thank you guys!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Increase font size for the .ASS. Perhaps your player is scaling.

As for other programs perhaps HandBrake/Vidcoder. These, however, requires the .ASS to be muxed into the source file in order to hardcode (Burn-in). Use MKVMergeGUI for that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for the fast reply. I will try scaling them, but what about the fact that the font is changed though? Is there anyway to keep the font face I'm using?

I will try to learn how to mux using Handbrake then.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I look at the word "we" ánd how much it covers. It looks to me as if a smaller font size is used in the export version.

If a larger font size don't stretch the text enough laterally you can always resort to edit the .ASS in an editor. You'll find these lines

Code:
    [V4+ Styles]
    Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding
    Style: Default,Arial,25,&H00FFFFFF,&H000000FF,&H00000000,&H00000000,0,0,0,0,100,100,0,0,1,2,1,2,10,10,10,1
    where you can edit ScaleX.

As for HandBrake. In the top of the window you can select to encode a couple of minutes as a test.

And the muxing is not done by HandBrake but MKVMergeGUI. Simply drag-drop you source and the .ASS onto it and press "Mux" and use the resultning file as input to HandBrake.
    Quote Quote  
  5. My apology, I think I forgot to mention from the start that I was using Avidemux on Windows (work PC) as a trial (I have to move the process on my Mac anyway because I won't be working there soon), and it's where my problem exist. I understand what you mean, but the export version does not only use a smaller font size, but it is an entirely different font face (it's skinnier than the one I have on Aegisub). It wouldn't matter much if I only have subtitle texts, but the thing is, there are some captions and additional effects (border blur, moving lines, clipped lines, etc) and it will be affected if I only change the general font size.

I can let that slide and maybe take extra time to change each of my lines, but now that I'm trying Avidemux on my Mac, not only did the .ASS file not encoded in the video (the export version is the same exact one as the source: no subtitles). I'm confused because it works fine on Windows (despite the change of font).

As for MKVMergeGUI and HandBrake, I did try, and it worked well, except that my font changes from sans-serif to a default serif this time, and some of the captions with effects even disappears (border blur, moving lines, clipped lines) at all. I'm not convinced it have anything to do with the fonts I have in my laptop because I did have them all.

I'm sorry, I'm really new at this and the fact that encoding programs are mostly on Windows is really frustrating to me, Mac doesn't have many options. I appreciate the help and I'm sorry if you have to repeat yourself over and over again, but all I want is to exactly keep the formatting I have from my .ASS files to a video without any kind of changes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't know anything about Mac but there are several front-end programs for FFMpeg. It has a Video Filter for ASS. Maybe that could work.
    Quote Quote