VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all

I've got a movie (Format : AVI,Codec : XviD with AC3 audio,Resolution : 1280x544) and i want to resize it to 1280x720,i do and i try different aspect ratios (16:9 PAL,16:9 NTSC,4:3 PAL,4:3 NTSC,...) but everytime i get problem.
    file gets converted but the resolution is not what i wanted.

look at the image i post:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054 - 2.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	11921

you see the black bars in the left and right side of the player?
    how can i fix it???
    Please HELP!
    I use VirtualDubMOD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1280x544 doesn't say anywhere what DAR it was originally or what it was supposed to be. IF the original DAR was SUPPOSED to be 4:3, then of course you SHOULD be getting pillarbox bars upon fullscreen playback to a 16:9 TV.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. 1280x544 is same thing as 1280x720, for 2.35:1 AR content. Just letterboxing is cropped

To convert it back, add the borders back (720-544)/2 = 88pixels to top and bottom each

So the black bars will be on the top & bottom instead (letterboxed)
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you're intending to make it 1280x720 you want to add black bars above and below (like, maybe, 88 both above and below). This looks to me like you added them to the sides. Or set some screwy aspect ratio(4:3) when you shouldn't set any at all.

Why can't you just leave it at 1280x544 and let the player add the bars? What are you using to play it to the TV?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanx to everyone for attention.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    If you're intending to make it 1280x720 you want to add black bars above and below (like, maybe, 88 both above and below). This looks to me like you added them to the sides. Or set some screwy aspect ratio(4:3) when you shouldn't set any at all.

Why can't you just leave it at 1280x544 and let the player add the bars? What are you using to play it to the TV?
    it gets to small when i want to watch the movie in a 42" LCD TV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. How can i make it fullscreen in 1280x720?
    the black borders are really annoying!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    1280x544 is same thing as 1280x720, for 2.35:1 AR content. Just letterboxing is cropped

To convert it back, add the borders back (720-544)/2 = 88pixels to top and bottom each

So the black bars will be on the top & bottom instead (letterboxed)
    Would you please explain it a little bit more?
    how can i do it in VirtualDubMOD?
    i used "Uncrop to:" function in "uncropMKV" but it didn't work again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by rockprince View Post
    Sit closer to the TV set.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The quick and dirty method = demux > remux using mkvmerge (set video res to 1280x720) = done.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Try this with the original video, it will only take a minute: Open it with Mpeg4modifier. If Square Pixel isn't selected select it. Save as a new AVI. Try playing that new AVI.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG4-Modifier

VirtualDubMod: Video -> Filters... -> Add -> Resize, width=1280, height=544, Letterbox/crop to size 1280x720. Encode square pixel.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Apr 2012 at 08:48.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by rockprince View Post
    Sit closer to the TV set.
    I'd have to agree with this.

If you want to watch 2.35 to 1 aspect ratio video (which is what 1280*544 is, and it's pretty standard for movies) with no black bars you're going to have to resize and crop the sides if you want to maintain proper 16:9 aspect ratio.

That means you'd have to multiply the height (544) by 1.78. That'll give you what you'd have to remove from the sides. Halve that and crop that from the left and right. Then resize.

And, yes, it's not going to look as good as the original. No way around that.

Also, removing parts from the size can really negatively affect what the movie will look like. When they do this for commercial releases / broadcast they don't necessarily remove the same amount everywhere, and that's not something you can do with consumer tools.

Hence ... sit closer to the tv.
    Quote Quote