VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I used to have a mini-DV camera. I would then dump a 12 GB .AVI file onto my hard drive, then burn that file to a 1 hour DVD. However, as time when on, the DVDs started piling up and taking up space.

My new plan is to take the original .AVI files, split them up into smaller files, and that way I can organize the files in a more manageable way. I then want to move them onto my "Western Digital Elements Play AV Media Player". This is a device I have plugged into my TV via an HDMI cable.

My original thought was to split up the .AVI files into smaller .AVI files, but I get a message that the files are not compatible with the "WD Elements....Player". This is strange because .AVI is listed as a compatible file type (see list below).

So, I tried using both Windows Movie Maker and Handbrake to split the .AVI file into .MP4 files, but the picture is then displayed as a small square on my 32" 1080p television. But, if I play one of the DVDs, it looks just fine.

When I outputted the file using Windows Movie Maker, I selected the "For High Definition display" setting. Even though I understand I am not actually improving the quality, my hope was that it would output the best possible video file using the original .AVI file.

So, I have a couple questions?

1. What file type should I be outputting when splitting the .AVI file? Here are the compatible file types:
    • „ AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1)
    • „ MPG/MPEG/VOB/ISO/DAT (MPEG 1, MPEG 2)
    • „ MP4/MOV (Xvid, MPEG4, h.264)
    • „ MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4)
    • „ TS/TP/TRP/M2TS (MPEG 1/2/4, AVC, VC-1)
    • „ FLV (H.263, H.264)
    • „ WMV/ASF (Xvid, VC-1, WMV9)
    • „ RM/RMVB (RV8, RV9)

2. What program should I used to do this?

Here is what I get when I run one of these .AVI files through MediaInfo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MediaInfoResults.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	30407
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No. Your media player does not support DV video. Most media players does not support it.

I would convert to mp4 or mkv with h264 video. Use for example handbrake or vidcoder. Be sure to deinterlace the video if it's interlaced, see https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/370304-How-do-convert-a-Digital8-AVI-to-play-on-a-Roku3

What output resolution/frame size did you use in handbrake? Default? Does it look on your computer?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I used the default settings within Handbrake. It played OK on my computer, but again, on my TV the video was only displaying in the middle of the screen. It was very odd. I'm used to seeing the black bars on the sides of the video when you're watching something that was recorded in standard definition, but I've never experienced black bars all the way around the video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried play any other mp4/mkvs on wd media player? Same problem?

Post the details from one of the mp4 you made. Use mediainfo, open video and view->text.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ... oops
    Last edited by _Al_; 24th Feb 2015 at 15:05.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Have you tried play any other mp4/mkvs on wd media player? Same problem?

Post the details from one of the mp4 you made. Use mediainfo, open video and view->text.
    Yes, I've played other MP4 files on the wd media player, but with no problems.

Here are the details of one of the mp4 files created with Handbrake:

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\tcapuano3\Videos\Handbrake test_2.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42
    File size : 6.59 MiB
    Duration : 20s 721ms
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 2 668 Kbps
    Writing application : HandBrake 0.10.0 2014112200

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 20s 721ms
    Bit rate : 2 503 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Original display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.242
    Stream size : 6.18 MiB (94%)
    Writing library : x264 core 142 r2479 dd79a61
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=2 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=30 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=10 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=20000 / vbv_bufsize=25000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601
    Color range : Limited

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Duration : 20s 544ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 160 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 32.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 402 KiB (6%)
    Title : Stereo / Stereo
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Looks ok. You should only get borders at left and right on a 16:9 TV or else it's a crappy player.

But you could make an avi with xvid and see if make any difference. Use for example xmedia recode and choose the avi dvd player preset.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!