VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

Im having trouble with a video recording from a camcorder the other week.

Ive been given the video on mini DVD and the files are VOB files.
    One file is about 1gb in size.
    The othger files are IFO, BUP files.

I need to import that into Sony movie studio platinum 12 and i dont seem to be able to import the vob files (but im new to sonys movie studio)

So i thought id convert it with the free "Freemake video converter" 4.0.1 (it might be rubbish i dont know)

I tried converting it to WMV, avi mov but with each one the video was a little squashed horizonatally, and weirdly the first 5 seconds played at double speed, and the conversion only lasted about 20 seconds, when the whole video is actually 28min.

Any help appreciated as i need to get this wedding video made for my family.

Thanks
    Simon
    Quote Quote  
  2. First try remuxing the VOB into an MPG container with something like Mpg2Cut2.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Or use the free version of Vob2Mpg.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    That worked 99% brilliantly thanks.
    The start of the converted file still goes into slow mo but i dont have to use that bit.

Maybe the files too big at 1 Gb?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mreco99 View Post
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    That worked 99% brilliantly thanks.
    The start of the converted file still goes into slow mo but i dont have to use that bit.

Maybe the files too big at 1 Gb?
    1GB is not particularly large for MPEG-2 video, which is what DVD uses. ...but if you feel 1GB is too big, don't convert the file to a more compact format (like DivX or H.264/AVC) before editing. Import the file into Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 to edit it, then convert to a more compact size. Otherwise you will be re-encoding your video twice instead of once and will loose more quality.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The best way to access VOB/MPG files is via AviSynth with DgIndex and DgDecode.
    Quote Quote  
  7. i spoke too soon, the vob2mpg made the converted file squashed and the quality wasnt great.

Is there anything else i can do?

i looked at avisynth but i dont get it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. VOB2MPG only remuxes. The quality of the MPG is exactly the same as the source VOB. If it got the aspect ratio wrong (the IFO can override the aspect ratio in the VOB file) just change the source aspect ratio in Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  9. AHHH ive just managed to bring the VOB directly into sony movie studio, and i see why the conversion was squashed. The very first few frames were square, and the conversion stayed as the first part
    Quote Quote