VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I have old tv show episodes in avi files and the constant white noise is really getting on my nerves. I use VLC to watch them.

Is there a way to make the audio better and get rid of most of that white noise?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Go to your audio card's controls and look a an equalizer. Turn down the high frequencies (~4 KHz and above). For more than that you'll have to spend a bit of time learning some tools. Audacity is free and has a noise reduction filter. But for white noise you can only reduce it 10 or 15 decibels before the remaining audio gets pretty nasty. There are more advanced tools but the cost $ and take a lot of work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Go to your audio card's controls and look a an equalizer. Turn down the high frequencies (~4 KHz and above). For more than that you'll have to spend a bit of time learning some tools. Audacity is free and has a noise reduction filter. But for white noise you can only reduce it 10 or 15 decibels before the remaining audio gets pretty nasty. There are more advanced tools but the cost $ and take a lot of work.
    I tried the equalizer in VLC, turned down 3Khz and above. It did reduce the noise a little, but not enough.
    I have Audacity, but it won't even open the video files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Get the ffmpeg source plugin for Audacity. It will then be able to import audio from almost any file.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#ffdown
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Get the ffmpeg source plugin for Audacity. It will then be able to import audio from almost any file.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#ffdown
    Ok, i installed the plugin, i opened the file, i removed the noise, but now it only offers to export as audio file. How do i get the audio back into the video file without any synchronization problems?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Export with whatever codec you want. Then mux the new audio with the original video. VirtualDub can do that: Open the original file, select Video -> Direct Stream Copy. Select Audio -> Audio From Another File, select your new audio file. Then Video -> Save As AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Export with whatever codec you want. Then mux the new audio with the original video. VirtualDub can do that: Open the original file, select Video -> Direct Stream Copy. Select Audio -> Audio From Another File, select your new audio file. Then Video -> Save As AVI.
    I've never been able to do anything with VirtualDub, it won't even open the original video file. I have CCCP installed, so it should have all the codecs it could possibly want.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Try AviDemux instead.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Paxmilitaris View Post
    I've never been able to do anything with VirtualDub, it won't even open the original video file. I have CCCP installed, so it should have all the codecs it could possibly want.
    32 bit vs 64 bit? 32 bit VirtualDub requires 32 bit codecs. 64 bit VirtualDub requires 64 bit codecs. Neither system can see other's codecs.

Maybe your file isn't really an AVI file? Anyone can rename a file with whatever extension they want. Media players identify the container by the contents, not necessarily the extension. VirtualDub doesn't do that. Check with MediaInfo.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Paxmilitaris View Post
    32 bit vs 64 bit? 32 bit VirtualDub requires 32 bit codecs. 64 bit VirtualDub requires 64 bit codecs. Neither system can see other's codecs.

Maybe your file isn't really an AVI file? Anyone can rename a file with whatever extension they want. Media players identify the container by the contents, not necessarily the extension. VirtualDub doesn't do that. Check with MediaInfo.
    I checked, it's an AVI Divx5.
    I have VirtualDub 64, but i can't find CCCP 64.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Paxmilitaris View Post
    The easiest thing for you to do is use 32 bit VirtualDub..
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Paxmilitaris View Post
    The easiest thing for you to do is use 32 bit VirtualDub..
    32 bit VirtualDub can't open the file either. "Can't find decompressor for DX50"
    Quote Quote  
  13. I believe cccp installs ffdshow. Go to Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> VFW Configuration -> Decoder (tab) -> Codecs and enable DviX 4/5/6.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I believe cccp installs ffdshow. Go to Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> VFW Configuration -> Decoder (tab) -> Codecs and enable DviX 4/5/6.
    CCCP doesn't install ffdshow, so i installed both the 32 and 64 bit versions of ffdshow.
    I used VirtualDub 64 and it all worked out.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!