VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey, all. I've been having some major issues here. I'm trying to record my PS2 with the HDPVR 2 (using component cables). I can get the preview up and running just fine, however, I can't seem to find a solution for outputting to my TV. The issue seems to be that my HDTV and monitor just can't use low signal being sent through through the HDMI ("Not Supported Mode" showing on both tv and monitor). Does anyone know of any sort of work-around to this? It seems odd that the HDPVR would be component-capable, but not able to use HDMI passthrough to see the footage on a TV.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a video tutorial on YouTube that might help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OVx55dZ54w

There are two setup details in particular that you might have missed. One, the PS2 should be set up to output YPbPr over component rather than RGB. Two, in passing the video's creator mentions a firmware update from Hauppauge. Have you updated the drivers to the latest ones?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Many TVs don't accept 480i input on HDMI. And most computer monitors don't accept 480i.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There is a video tutorial on YouTube that might help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OVx55dZ54w

There are two setup details in particular that you might have missed. One, the PS2 should be set up to output YPbPr over component rather than RGB. Two, in passing the video's creator mentions a firmware update from Hauppauge. Have you updated the drivers to the latest ones?
    Yup, I've already done both. I'm thinking it's like jagabo is saying and my TV and monitor just can't use the low-res signal being sent through HDMI. In that case, does anyone know any super cheap TVs that would be able to use this?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by judgement0s View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Yup, I've already done both. I'm thinking it's like jagabo is saying and my TV and monitor just can't use the low-res signal being sent through HDMI. In that case, does anyone know any super cheap TVs that would be able to use this?
    I misunderstood some things in your original post, and I agree that jagabo is probably correct.

I am afraid I don't have any helpful advice with respect to TVs. Even if you do get a recommendation, it won't help unless the TV in question is a current model because things can change so much within product lines from year to year. I was going to suggest that you look at the manuals for new TVs which are selling at a good price, but when I looked at manuals that I have downloaded for a few of the TVs in the family, none indicated whether or not the TV supports 480i over HDMI.

I was also going to suggest trying a good component video distribution amplifier, to feed component video to both the TV and the HD-PVR 2 at the same time, but it has an internal buffer. I can't say if the buffer introduces an unacceptable delay.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jul 2015 at 19:08. Reason: clarity, typo
    Quote Quote