VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    that's what this article is saying:

http://www.reselleradvocate.com/public/ram/rampage/ram60_rampage01.html#story2

overall i tend to agree. i would much rather have a 720p movie that was created from a high quality source and that was encoded properly than a 1080p movie that was created from a crappy source and/or encoded by a chimp.

hell, i've seen 16:9 DVD's that have superior quality to some 720p, again, depending on what kind of film the movie was shot on, how high the quality of the master was and how well it was encoded.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    link didn't work

OK got it to work and he says resolution is only one factor in a good image and maybe 4th in importance. Yep, I'd agree. Similar to Megapixels with digital cameras or octane number for gasoline.

Consumers like a linear scale. Something to brag about.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sure, a 50" display at 10 ft or more... you probably would not be able to see much difference between a 1280x720 native screen and a 1920x1080 native screen.

However, a 62" display at 10 ft - you definitely can see a big difference. Double the pixels, you know.

There are so many factors that go into getting the best image possible... besides the display's contrast ratio, color accuracy, resolution, etc. The source signal quality is a major factor, and it can vary widely even in the HD arena. Signal processing within the source unit (DVD player, HD cable/satellite tuner, game console, etc.) and image processing done by the TV also affect the picture quality.

To say that there is basically no difference between 1280x720p and 1920x1080i/p is simply not accurate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The same would go for "i would much rather have a VCD that was created from a high quality source and that was encoded properly than a DVD that was created from a crappy source and/or encoded by a chimp" It's just evolution.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FYI, there's a ongoing-running discussion on Afterdawn about this. Hope this helps provides more perspective.
    Quote Quote