VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, I'm pulling my hair out here trying to get this to work...

I am using an NTSC SD - STANDARD DEF Free To Air sattelite system with a PVR option. The files it creates are these .ts files, checking the manual and other utilities these files have the following specs:

Video MPEG-2 544x480 29.97 FPS 15000 kbps (h.264)
    Audio MPEG 48Khz 160 kbps

What I am trying to do is get these files out of the hard drive, and onto DVD's that will play in a regular DVD player so I can play them on another TV.

I have tried various utilities with no luck...most applications will not even recognize the file or open it.

I can play the files fine on the computer using MediaPlayer classic and the Klite codec pack. I can also open them in Womble to remove commercials without re-encoding.

Tried TMPEGenc to re-encode the video...it took me 5 hours for one file, and the result was a DVD with jerky playback. No good.

I have tried ConvertX to DVD with the recommendation of some other forum (can't remember where) and it won't even read the files.

I know other people have done this, but I can't seem to find an answer as to what exactly they are doing to get this to work. I really do not want to have to 're-encode' the video files, as they are already MPEG2 files.

and just to emphasize...these are NOT high def files...all the guides and utilities are all geared towards HD but nothing I can find for SD.

HELP

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. You will have to re-encode to get it to a DVD compliant resolution.
    I would use DGIndex to create a d2v project to open in AviSynth. Then process and resize as necessary, then feed it to HCEnc for the video and QuEnc for the audio (convert to AC3).
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    is it mpeg2 or h264 ts files? What does mediainfo say?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MPEG-TS (No PAT/PMT): 412 MiB, 22mn 48s2 266 Kbps (15.0 Mbps), 544*480 (4/3), at 29.970 fps, MPEG Video (Version 2) (Main@Main)160 Kbps, 48.0 KHz, 2 channels, MPEG Audio (Version 1) (Layer 2)

Format : MPEG-TS
    Format profile : No PAT/PMT
    File size : 412 MiB
    Duration : 22mn 48s
    Overall bit rate : 2 526 Kbps

Video
    ID : 6178 (0x1822)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Duration : 22mn 48s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 2 266 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 15.0 Mbps
    Width : 544 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4/3
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.290

Audio
    ID : 6179 (0x1823)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 160 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    Video delay : -64ms
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have try VideoReDo to do the convert but its not good to convert you might give it try but its not free... time limit ..
    Thanks,
    No Pain, No Gain.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I think I got it to work. After trying numerous things I think there were a few factors that were causing the issues I was seeing.

Problem 1, the file I was trying to use as a test file, may have had some missing peieces...because the source was sattelite, the signal is subject to rain fade, birds getting in the way etc, and the file had glitching in it towards the end that I did not notice...which throws the GOP structure all out of whack, and causes audio delays.

Problem 2, the file was reporting as a progressive file, that isn't the case, it's interlaced.

What I did/used to get it to work

1) Using Super video converter, drag the file to be worked on into the batch list, and use the .ts to VOB option, and in my case, choose NTSC, Recode audio and video, 29.97 FPS.

2) Once file is encoded, it leaves you a .vob file. Created a new project in TMPEG Authoringworks 4, and added it as a file. It will complain about the file, but ignore it and continue.

3) In the Clip properties, change the display mode to Interlace, and Field order to Top Field First. The rest of the settings can be left the same

4) Continue to edit, and author DVD as normal. Once written, it should be a normal looking DVD.

Hope this helps anyone who might be having the same issues.

Super is a freeware program, Tmpeg isn't (but has a trial)
    Quote Quote  
  7. I use AviDemux to convert .TS files. It can output to a variety of file formats, re-encode the streams to the format you want (no codecs are installed, it uses DLLs to encode to MP4, MP3, etc. so it won't mess with your codecs), you can use some filters (like de-interlace, sharpen, so on). It's easy to use and freeware. Highly recommended.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You don't need to re-encode the video. 15 Mbps has just a header of your DVB capture, while real bitrate of the video stream is as shown 2526 kbps. Demux TS in ProjectX or VideoReDo which may set correct information about the bitrate.

DVD-Lab Pro or DVD Maestro (after a patch) will accept the stream as it is. Your DVD player will upscale video to a standard resolution, and the result will be n-time better than any (crappy) software re-encoding.

However, you may have an issue with audio as it is in MP2 format which is non NTSC standard. I'd burn a test DVD on a DVD-RW disc and check if it plays with your equipment.
    Quote Quote