VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Home Entertainment Group and Western Digital have formed a new working group dubbed the Secure Content Storage Association (SCSA) to develop a new digital rights management (DRM) protocol that would make digital media available across multiple devices and through the cloud. The group will develop the system under the working title "Project Phenix."

Just what I need. DRM on my hard drive. Just another thing that can go wrong and possible corrupt my important data.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm this sounds just like what I was proposing in the "will bluray kill dvd" thread about a digital distribution format and a "authorized storage device" idea.

I guess they read videohelp.com hmm???

Of course one company and one entity a standard creates does not. (a little yoda speak there for ya ).

Just because something is in the drafting stage doesn't mean it'll lift off. And even when it does it doesn't mean it will last or work. HD-DVD anyone????
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    These are the same people that came up with Ultraviolet so it's basically an extension to that. I'm no DRM fan, but I'm not particularly alarmed by this - yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    These are the same people that came up with Ultraviolet so it's basically an extension to that. I'm no DRM fan, but I'm not particularly alarmed by this - yet.
    Thats sort of what I was getting at though I didn't know that was the same group.

Critical question -

Wouldn't we be able to get rid of it by simply reformatting the harddrive?

Or -

Would they find a way to render the drive useless if it isn't "reactivated" remotely after any formatting procedure?

That would be the more insideous way of doing it. But they couldn't do that to a full extend for those without an internet connection. Something would come along with a pin system and an automated phone line or whatever.

But this could also theoretically lead to making used sales impossible if a drive is locked to a single account user. Unless it can be transferred.

Oh boy this won't be a pretty future if they get this entangled.

But it sort of is already happening for video games. Those "ONLINE PASSES" are essentially a giant tax on used games sales. You can only go online with those codes so if you buy used and the code was already used then you have to buy the code to go online. I could see the computer industry loving that idea for harddrive reactivation.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the drm would be in the hardware bios not on the platters. reformatting wouldn't do any good. the best way to get rid of it is not to buy into it to begin with, if consumers balk and don't purchase the crap it will go away.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not to buy into it to begin with
    They probably will market one drive to see what happens before they commit major bucks and convert everything. Far as I am concerned, they can take their DRM drive and stuff it where the sun don't shine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ranchhand View Post
    not to buy into it to begin with
    They probably will market one drive to see what happens before they commit major bucks and convert everything. Far as I am concerned, they can take their DRM drive and stuff it where the sun don't shine.
    Damn right.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The sun doesn't shine in China half of the world.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yeah but the drive would only be one half of the equation. Also it may not be meant to be used in a std PC at all, rather an "approved" media player. There is also a new scheme from warner bros to get digital copys of your DVD's, stored in the cloud. Surely this should be Project Phoenix?
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like time to start using Linux.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't trust storing any data whatever it is, in the cloud for fear of losing it (Remember Megaupload) or some government agency spying on my/your data. Paranoia I know, but not impossible in these times. I keep all my data stored on an external hard drive, and have a duplicate of that drive in case it crashes. A little redundant, but works for me.
    Quote Quote  
  12. We're not talking cloud here. The proposed DRM is for hard drives you purchase.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    We're not talking cloud here. The proposed DRM is for hard drives you purchase.
    Yeah, I know pal, but I thought I would add my comment about storage in the cloud. You don't mind do you buddy??
    Quote Quote  
  14. Well your comment was off topic and it looked like you were trying to hijack this thread.
    Quote Quote