VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem with the Panasonic DMR-E80H.
    I've had the unit for a while and had no past problems whatsoever.

While recording after some minutes, I press the stop button on the remote to stop recording,
    and hard drive started sputtering. I then get a blue screen with the error message
    "Error has occured. Please press ENTER."

So I press enter and the unit shuts down and reboots. I then get another blue
    screen error message "Please change the disc."

Well, there is no disc in the unit, but it automatically opens up the empty tray anyway.
    I shut the tray door, and then I get another error messge:

This cycle repeats over and over again, with no end:
    "Please change the disc."
    etc...

The only way I can shut the unit down, is by holding the power button 10 seconds or so.

Well, I eventually got tired of this, so I took the hard drive out,
    ran a low level format (zero fill) on the drive, and put it back in.

When I turned the unit back on, it gives me the option to format the
    hard drive, so I do. Now, everything seems to be working properly as before.
    The unit turns on and off with no error messages.

I then try to record a couple of minutes, and it seems to be working.
    But when I press stop, the hard drive sputters and I get the dreaded error message:
    Then comes:
    "Please change the disc."
    etc...
    again and again.

After all that work, the cycle of error message returns!

I'm afraid if I go out and buy a new hard drive, I'll get the same error messages,
    because I don't see anything wrong the hard drive itself. The unit isn't exactly
    giving me specific hard drive failure messages.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have a Panasonic DMR-E85H (with 120GB hard disk), it dead on me a few months ago with similar problem

I have replace the hard drive TOO and it asked me to format the drive which I did. This only help it to move a little further but continue to hang else where (hang meaning showing the same message over and over no matter what I pushed). I basically swap the hard drive with the one I have in my computer (same capacities), both are good.

I know for sure that there is nothing wrong with the hardware in the box, something planted in the firmware causing it to lock up like that. Japanese products are good from hardware point of view, whenever it comes to software / firmware that interact with users (like menu & choices), they are really bad.

I was so frustrated, planning to buy a new unit to replace it.
    ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have replace the hard drive TOO
    Well, I haven't replaced the original drive yet. I just zeroed it out to fix the error.
    But the error came back soon after recording.

Just wondering if anyone with this problem did go ahead and buy the same hard drive.
    The model no. is 4R080L0. This is a Maxtor 80GB ATA-133 5400RPM Hard Drive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a similar problem with a Panasonic (I think it was a 95 -- same thing, slightly bigger drive).

The power supply that runs the hard drives on these little DVD recorders doesn't supply a lot of startup current to the drive. In my experience with the Panasonic, it was having difficulty spinning up the drive. If yours has a "sticky" bearing, that could be part of the problem (possibly).

Here's the thing -- when I removed the drive from the Panasonic and ran it in a PC, it was flawless (but the PC's power supply is a lot beefier.) Replacing the drive with an IDE drive of the same capacity took care of it.

If I recall correctly, putting in a smaller drive will work, and will result in less recording time available. Putting in a larger drive will work, but will result in the "max" recording time as determined by the firmware (80GB in the case of the E80H). So if you can't find an 80GB drive, you could drop in something larger but you won't get the extra capacity (if I recall correctly).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Ditka1985
    Here's the thing -- when I removed the drive from the Panasonic and ran it in a PC, it was flawless (but the PC's power supply is a lot beefier.)
    What exactly were you able to do with the DVD drive when you installed it into your own computer?
    Were you able to see actual files? And copy them to your computer's hard drive?

Because I tried that with mine, and Windows XP/BIOS detected it, but no drive letter
    came up. I could not access it, so I could not see or copy any files. My only choice was
    to low level format it in DOS mode. I would have saved the data if I knew how,
    but now, all my old programs are gone.

What is frustrating, is that, I can turn the unit on, but I can't get to the
    E80H menu option to format the hard drive, because these error messages are
    causing the unit to power down/power up immediately. I would format the
    hard drive from the E80H menu, rather than taking the thing apart, formatting it,
    and putting it back in. Lot of wasted time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a firmware update to fix that problem,
    Panasonic has it on their website.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by louthewiz
    There is a firmware update to fix that problem,
    Panasonic has it on their website.
    • Version D9-022
      Last Updated 4/21/2005
      Description Updates RAM / DVD drive and improves compatibility with
      the most recent 8X and 16X DVD media.

Not much details on what it does exactly or if it will help.
    My problem is not related to reading DVD media.

Anyway, it won't let me install it, even if I wanted to.
    The error messages keep rebooting the unit. Can't do nothing except
    get a new hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What's even more frustrating, when your hard drive goes bad, it completely immobilizes your
    DVD player. The unit doesn't stay powered after the error message, so you can't access the
    menu and you definitely can't play regular DVDs anymore. It turns into a brick.

Heck, if I can't use it anymore, might try to sell it on Ebay or something.
    All the repair shops must have scooped up all the Maxtor 4R080L0 hard drives on the
    entire Internet. Because all I see is either out-of-stock banners or refurbished models.
    And who really wants that?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I couldn't see any files or the panasonic file system on my PC. IIRC, the panasonic format is some proprietary derivative of Linux.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Just an update if anybody is interested. You can buy a new hard drive off of Panasonic's website (parts and accessories),
    however, the prices are outrageously high. If you search the parts list for Model DMRE80HP, you get:

Part Number Description Price
    ----------- ------------------- ------
    426250 HARD DISK DRIVE 80G 253.22
    4R080L0 80 GIG HDD 5400 RPM 265.15
    N3CBBTM00005 HARD DISK DRIVE 80G 253.22
    RFKV0040HDK 80G HDD/5400 DRIVE KIT 253.22
    RFKV0040HDK1 80G HDD/5400 DRIVE KIT 253.22
    RFKV0090HDK 80G HDD/5400 DRIVE KIT 265.15
    They all look pretty much the same to me. 4R080L0 is the old part no. for the hard drive. However, this
    part is no longer available, so it substitutes RFKV0090HDK as suggested part number. This part is actually
    a Hitachi Deskstar 80GB ATA/IDE Hard Drive, Model No: HDS721680PLAT80, 7200 RPM. Jumper pins must be set to CABLE SELECT.
    So apparently, the new drive does not have to match the old specs exactly. Old one was 5400 RPM.
    You could either buy it off the Internet for like 50 bucks, or spend nearly $300 with shipping handling fees.
    Heck, with the amount, you could probably buy a new DVD HDD recorder. I suppose new ones these days come with
    a digital tuner, in preparation for the switch to HDTV in 2009.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's good to know that the old 5400 rpm drives are the ones I want as I had several for my old Dishplayer so I could swap the drive when needed. Since I no longer use the Dishplayer, the drives are sitting there idle. If the E80H's drive should quit I have ready replacements...
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm not sure if my HDD died "naturally" or if it got "zapped" from a power outtage. It worked flawlessly since
    2003. It must have just given up after 5 years! Anyway, the replacement HDD is working fine now.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just changed my hd on my e80h with an old hd from my computer. It is a Maxtor 80gb simliar to the original. I zeroed it out but when I tried to install it, the e80h wouldn't recognize it. Then I remembered the orig hd did not have a pin on it. Took the master pin off and pany is like new (not quite )
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM

My E80H DVR died after 4 years of flawless recording. The same
    squirley message appeared "Replace the disk" and "Hit Enter". The display showed it was trying to read the HD but couldn't and there was nothing I could do except shut down power. When I powered up again the E80H tried to read the HDD disk and opened the DVD tray. An endless loop resulted with only a mild hint of what the problem could be.

After searching the internet and reading this formum, I bought a $29 MAXTOR Diamond 16 80GB ATA/133 HDD from the DriveGuys in LA. It was dropped shipped from Florida and arrive 3 days later.

Because the old drive had no jumper plugged in, I removed the jumper from the new drive and cabled it up to my 4 year old E80H. Plugged in power and formatted the puppy and away we went.
    Had a little display jitter at first which disappeared after 20 minutes.

$29 was a bargain fix - I sure can't afford to buy a new $600 Panasonic DVR.

The HDD model number for my E80H was 4R080L06204P4. When the DVR came back up it said there was only 36 hours available - but that was because I'd left DVR was in SP mode, flipping it to EP MODE gave me back my '108 hours available'.

So we're ready to record the Olmpics and ff thru the commercials.

Like a lot of Panasonic users - I'm unwilling to buy another brand and go through the 2 year learning curve to use all the many features of the E80H. The user interface and manual have been cussed at many times - but eventually trial-and-error brings it all into focus.
    Bill
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hey guys, This is exactly what has happened to my E80H. Can somebody post a link to a drive that would work. I can't find the Hitachi or Maxtor.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My symptoms are much as discussed in this forum, however my Display says RECOVER.
    When I look at the E80H screen, the only option is to format the HDD. I responded to
    'go ahead and format'....it starts, then fails. No doubt the HDD went out.

Now I too am wondering if I can install ANY model HD, or must I use an 80 GB maxtor?

Thank you !!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Loren, I'm thinking it has more to do with 5400rpm. I'm hoping the other guys chime in...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep ... I believe you may be RIGHT .. as I just finished installing an old 40GB Western Digital HD
    with WinXp, that I've had sitting around for a while. Powered up the unit and this time NO display
    on the screen at all ... the 'icon' on the front panel showed a spinning HD (the old MAXTOR just
    sat there).... But nothing came up on the TV screen, so I guess I'll have to surf around for the
    80 GB Maxtor replacement!

I has just ordered 20 DVD-R's for this unit last week (4.7GB)...got to use only ONE of those
    before the HD died!

Thanks for your response!! I'll keep this forum updated on what finally (hopefully) fixed
    this Problem ....

Loren .......... Tucson, AZ
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just wanted to add one more comment.
    I found an exact MAXTOR replacement drive at PriceGrabber.com for $54.70
    which includes shipping. Merchant : ESI WORLD

This should arrive shortly at which time I'll install it and see what happens!
    I agree with an earlier post that the learning curve on this unit is LONG!
    I don't think I ever learned all there is to learn on this unit that I've had
    since 2003! Learned just enough to record programs, and burn to a DVD.
    I also purchased special 4.7 GB Panasonic DVD's from Crutchfield.com.
    I ordered two 10 packs as shown below. Better price there than at Circuit City!
    (if you can find them, that is).

Item Description Ship Qty B/O Qty Price Amount
    133RF12M10 Panasonic LM-RF120MU10 DVD-R 8x Speed 4.7GB Single Sided, 10-Pack
    Sub Total: $21.98
    Shipping: $6.99
    Total: $28.97
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update --

The drive arrived today. I installed it, powered-up the unit and
    looks like I'm back in business. Looks like it did an automatic format
    which took about 1 minute. Thanks to all in this forum.

CASE CLOSED!!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Cool! I've got one on the way myself. I hope I'm as successful.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cool! I was very please how quickly it came up, with no strange messages!
    It was a pure 'Plug and Play' experience. If you run into any problems,
    post a note here and I'll see if I can help. It appeared to do it's own format
    after which it was READY to record! All my other settings were still retained
    in some on-board memory, so nothing else needed to be configured or reconfigured.

Also, the MAXTOR drive came with a jumper plug on 'Cable Select.'
    My original MAXTOR did NOT have a jumper anywhere on that 10 pin
    connector, so I removed it from the new drive. No problems!

Let me know!

Loren
    Quote Quote  
  23. Woohoo! I got my hard drive and just installed - it's good to go. I just realized I didn't check for a jumper but it works.

Thanks for the guidance, Loren. I bought a new drive off of ebay and I'm still waiting on that, I got my drive from ESI today. I have a second E80H so the spare drive will probably come in handy.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Captain !

I'm glad it worked for you (as it did for me).
    These units are very handy, and I've not seen replacement units such
    as these offered by Circuit City (where I got mine 5+ years ago) anymore.
    Maybe they were discontinued!

Good to keep the old hardware running as long as possible!
    And it was smart to order an additional drive, as you never know when
    they too will dry up!

Loren
    Quote Quote  
  25. You da man!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm getting this Error has occured/Please change the disc message combo. (I have an E85H.) I don't know anything about opening up a machine myself, so I guess I'll have to take it somewhere to be serviced. But my question is, is there any way to save the things on my HDD? I have a ton of stuff on there that I unfortunately never got around to burning to disc, and I hate to think that I'll lose it all. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I really doubt you can save any of it, maybe through data recovery service but that will be very expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I called Panasonic, and I'm going to send it in for repair. That's all I can really do. I'll see if they can save the stuff on the hard drive, but if they can't, I guess I'll live.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Other people have said unless they needed to replace the HDD everything will be saved. In your case I can't imagine anything will be lost since it sounds like your machine is having problems with its DVD drive.
    If you had another DVDR and you're able to play the HDD you could "realtime" copy everything from the line outputs to the other DVDRs line inputs. Of course this would degrade the PQ and be quite time intensive but it's an option.
    Note I hope you're going the $130 flat fee repair option from Panasonic in Ill? Otherwise it could be quite pricey going T&M.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's what they said it would be, $130+tax. What do you mean by T&M?

I'm going to put a note in explaining everything and asking them to save the things on the hard drive, if possible. I know it was there when I was trying to play things when this all started. (I was playing something on the HDD and the playback froze, the picture and the counter, although the horizontal lines were still moving like it was playing. It took a while to stop it, and then it happened a couple of other times when I tried to play it again. Then finally one of the times it wouldn't stop at all, so I unplugged it, and that's when the error messages started. I don't really think it's a DVD drive problem, since I wasn't playing anything in that drive. So that's why I'm afraid that like others here, I'll need the hard drive replaced. But before they do anything, I'll talk to them and see what can be done.
    Quote Quote