VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried to create CVD from a MiniDV source and I got most of my info from the following link http://forum.vcdhelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=98177

It looks fantastic on my PC but I am having a problem playing it on my Standalone DVD player. When playing I get these Green Horizontal lines that cover the entire screen. When I Pause and Frame Advance I notice the following:

Frame 1: Perfect Picture
    Frame 2: Green Horizontal lines
    Frame 3: Green Horizontal lines
    Frame 4: Like frame 1 and so and so

Does this mean my DVD Player isn't compatible with CVD or have I done something wrong?

I burnt the CVD mpg file as a Non-Compliant SVCD is this correct?

My DVD Player is a Conia M-120, which I know plays VCD and SVCD

Best Regards
    Amelia
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forgot to mention I am using 352 x 576 res, I assume this is correct for PAL.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I had a similar problem when trying to play SVCDs on my Sony DVP-NS400D. It turns out that TMPGEnc doesnt set the scan offsets, so when you try to do anything other than "PLAY" the picture would get screwd up. The only way to get the picture back was to re-insert the disc and start over. If you want to add the scan offsets, de-multiplex with TMPGEnc, then multiplex with bbMPG, and use the SVCD settings. You do NOT have to re-encode your file. Just demux with TMPGEnc and remux with bbMPG. If I'm visualizing your problem correctly, this should fix it. You can supposedly let VCDEasy update your scan offsets, but I don't have that feature (I do, but it doesn't actually do it) in my version, so I can't say for sure that it'll do it correctly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony and most of Philips standalones are the most problematic ones with CVD. Marantz, thompson and their clones follows.
    Those standalones are amazing for DVD picture quality, but not enough flexible for formats like SVCD or CVD.
    You see, those manufactures can produce local products. Sony for example, produce standalones only for Europe or USA, which you never gonna find in Asia or Australia. Those local standalones, are compatible only with what is official for the local market. CVD ain't exist as a format outside china. So, it is easily for big manufactures not to support it.

Personally, I don't suggest Sony/Phillips/Marantz/Thompson for DVD standalones. The generall rule is "the cheaper, the better!"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah. I got a cheap Clairtone and it seems to play anything I give it. I tried a CVD the other day and it played it though the playback was a little jerky with slight pauses. I'm re-encoding with different settings to see if it makes a difference.

Joshua.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wicked_Al
    I will give the remuxing a go with bbmeg and let you know how it goes. I never thought to try that.

SatStorm
    My Brother-in-law purchased a Sony, paid top dollar for it and it pretty much only plays DVDs. I know what you mean about cheap is better

Lord Gaiyan
    I purchased my dvd player a couple of years and I notice the new conia DVD players are getting much better and pretty much support everything. I think it may be time for an upgrade.

Then again having said that, one of the limitations I like about my DVD player is the fact that it's so fussy about the encodes that I do. I have had to learn to produce compliant streams and the advantage in that has been my SVCD pretty much work in all DVD players I have tried and best of all no audio sync problems

Sorry it took me a while to reply this thread, but I didn't seem to get an email notification for it ???

Best Regards
    Amelia
    Quote Quote