VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Noob here-- hi everyone.

I have 3.5 hours of video in final cut that I need to export to DVD.
    I assume I'll have to use a dual-layer disc to fit it all on...

Could anyone please suggest the best export option for a file this size?
    I did an MP-4, everything set to "best quality" and it was still 10 Gb.
    I also noticed some artifacts on that, even with everything set to optimum quality.

Would it be better to export as something else, then re-compress it in compressor?
    I'm new to all this.

Time is of the essence, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks--
    Buddy
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvd

Video:
    Up to 9.8 Mbps* (9800 kbps*) MPEG2 video
    Up to 1.856 Mbps (1856 kbps) MPEG1 video
    720 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Called Full-D1)
    704 x 480 pixels MPEG2
    352 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Called Half-D1, same as the CVD Standard)
    352 x 240 pixels MPEG2
    352 x 240 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)
    29,97 fps*
    23,976 fps with 3:2 pulldown = 29,97 playback fps (NTSC Film, this is only supported by MPEG2 video)
    16:9 Anamorphic (only supported by 720x480)

Audio:
    48000 Hz
    32 - 1536 kbps
    Up to 8 audio tracks containing DD (Dolby Digital/AC3), DTS, PCM(uncompressed audio), MPEG-1 Layer2. One audio track must have DD or PCM Audio.

Extras:
    Motion menus, still pictures, up to 32 selectable subtitles, seamless branching for multiple storylines, 9 camera angles. And also additional DVD-ROM / data files that only can be read by computer DVD drives.

Total:
    Total bitrate including video, audio and subs can be max 10.08 Mbps (10080 kbps)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As Hech54 illustrated from the "what is dvd" section, the dvd spec is mpeg-2 and not mp4.
    With that said:
    The first step is to encode to mpeg2.
    The next step is to author the dvd. Take the trial version of dvd toast for a test drive.
    And finally, burn the dvd . For this step, please do yourself a huge favor and invest in good blank media like Ty or verbatim.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by buddyreid
    I assume I'll have to use a dual-layer disc to fit it all on...
    You don't HAVE to use dual layer media as there is nothing to prevent from putting this on a single layer disc, but note that the quality will suffer a lot if you don't use dual layer. With dual layer media your bit rate will be approximately 5500 Kbps and with single layer your bit rate will be approximately 2600 Kbps. 2600 Kbps is a low bit rate for DVD.

For dual layer discs, the ONLY reliable DL media available is Verbatim DVD+R DL. You are very strongly encouraged not to use any other discs. And you are encouraged to burn with ImgBurn. Note that some older DVD players won't play DL media correctly and may either refuse to play the disc or may stop at the layer break. If your burner support Bit Setting, you might turn that on as it will give you a slightly higher chance of successful playback on older standalone players. PCs and new DVD players should not have problems with DL media, but again, use Verbatim. Other brands often fail in the burns or have playback problems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks guys-- i really appreciate the help
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    also, what is the priority here...good quality video or cramming it all on one disc? You would be much better off, quality-wise, splitting it over 2 dual layer discs or 3 single layer discs.
    Quote Quote