VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello all

I've been getting this weird kind of jumpy playback on some of videos using XP's Media player. To best describe it, its almost like theres two videos playeing at once, one a little of the the side of the other with a bit of jumping or switching of some of the aspects of the videos in between.

It doesn't happen on all videos just some.

Anyone have any ides on what I could do to resolve this?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Any common features of the ones that misbehave - e.g., format, which disk they are on etc?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Well I've tried to find some but basically when it happens I can't seem to find a real commonality.

IE, I had a movie that was doing this while being streamed over the internet, so I downloaded it and it still did this, it did it in both Media Player 10.0 and the classic version, 6.4

Now just recently I opened a copied DVD to my hard drive via its IFO file and it did the same thing too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then my next thought would be hardware. It could be HDD issues (such as simply being heavily fragmented), it could be also be cpu or memory. The next thing to watch is which other programs you have open when this occurs and/or what other activities your PC may be performing. You can use task manager to monitor cpu and memory usage.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah I thought about that too but I would say that one, so far this has only happened with three different videos that I can recall and I watch a lot of videos.

Second I'm pretty aware of the operations of my PC as I have to have it really well tweaked for performance for MS flight simulator so keep my Drives well defragged, and have virtually nothing running in the background, I have a lot of memory and use cCleaner and other utilities such a Ad Aware and SpyBot to keep things clean.

I also check things on a regular basis with HiJackThis too to be sure I have only what I want running from startup

Other than that and without going into all the spec, I have a machine that is more then capable enough to run the vids.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then it is either a codec issue or a problem with the videos themselves. Check the specs for each of the problem vids with a program such as Gspot.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah I'm kinda leaning toward a codec problem myself, its just that tracking down issues with that can be kind of a pain so I was hoping it might be something else but as I haven't gotten anything else as a response for the problem from anyone I'm thinking that what it probably is.

Thanks for the link to that program though, when I get a chance I will definitely check it out.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The easiest way to rule out codecs is by using a different player. VLC, for instance installs and uses its own codecs, not those already present on your system.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote