VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

I recently bought a ATI 600 USB TV Wonder card in order to capture old video tapes, but I’m having difficulties making it work on my computers (Windows 8 64-bit & Windows 7 64-bit). I've tried to download both Vista and Win7 drivers from http://support.amd.com/en-us/download but it doesn’t work on any of my machines, not sure if I’ve downloaded the right ones or if they load correctly.

According to some posts on various forums it should work with 64-bit versions of Windows as well, so I don’t know what I’m doing wrong really.
    I also read somewhere about VFW and WDM drivers but I’m not sure what to make of that.

My plan is to use VirtualDub 1.10.4 to capture the tapes. When I open up "Capture Mode” (Capture AVI) in VirtualDub the Window is empty and when clicking "Video > Video source" no video source appears.

When looking in the Device Manager the ATI 600 USB shows up but with a yellow triangle and an exclamation mark. When right clicking on Properties there is a text saying something like ”Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device.”

FYI I live in Europe and am trying to capture PAL videos. I don’t have the original cd with drivers and utilities etc.

Is there anyone who has made it play with 64–bit Win7 and/or Wind8?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try to do a test capture with DScaler. After numerous personal attempts to get VDub to capture from ANY source consistently, I said "Fvck It" and now use DScaler if I need to go lossless.
    I have no clue if DScaler will even install on W7 or W8 but it's a tiny program.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MrTemplar View Post
    Hi!

I recently bought a ATI 600 USB TV Wonder card in order to capture old video tapes, but I’m having difficulties making it work on my computers (Windows 8 64-bit & Windows 7 64-bit). I've tried to download both Vista and Win7 drivers from http://support.amd.com/en-us/download but it doesn’t work on any of my machines, not sure if I’ve downloaded the right ones or if they load correctly.

According to some posts on various forums it should work with 64-bit versions of Windows as well, so I don’t know what I’m doing wrong really.
    I also read somewhere about VFW and WDM drivers but I’m not sure what to make of that.

My plan is to use VirtualDub 1.10.4 to capture the tapes. When I open up "Capture Mode” (Capture AVI) in VirtualDub the Window is empty and when clicking "Video > Video source" no video source appears.

When looking in the Device Manager the ATI 600 USB shows up but with a yellow triangle and an exclamation mark. When right clicking on Properties there is a text saying something like ”Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device.”

FYI I live in Europe and am trying to capture PAL videos. I don’t have the original cd with drivers and utilities etc.

AMD doesn't have Windows 7 drivers, but they didn't actually design the device. Empia did. Diamond has working Windows 7 drivers. Get a combined driver package here for Windows 7 64-bit and 32-bit: https://www.diamondmm.com/tvw600usb-ati-amd-tv-wonder-hd-600.html

The TV-Wonder 600 USB worked for me with the 32-bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8. I didn't try Virtualdub. I did use GraphStudio, MPCHC, and Windows Media Center. I'll admit I haven't tried it with my new Windows 7 64-bit system yet.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Try to do a test capture with DScaler. After numerous personal attempts to get VDub to capture from ANY source consistently, I said "Fvck It" and now use DScaler if I need to go lossless.
    I have no clue if DScaler will even install on W7 or W8 but it's a tiny program.
    Thanks hech54, I'll give it a try when I get home.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Thanks DB83. So I've heard, but apparently people still manage to get this thing to work both with Win7 and Win8, so I'm not ready to give in quite yet.

They'll have to drag me out in a straitjacket before I give up on this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Hi!

AMD doesn't have Windows 7 drivers, but they didn't actually design the device. Empia did. Diamond has working Windows 7 drivers. Get a combined driver package here for Windows 7 64-bit and 32-bit: https://www.diamondmm.com/tvw600usb-ati-amd-tv-wonder-hd-600.html

The TV-Wonder 600 USB worked for me with the 32-bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8. I didn't try Virtualdub. I did use GraphStudio, MPCHC, and Windows Media Center. I'll admit I haven't tried it with my new Windows 7 64-bit system yet.

Thanks. Ok, I will try the Diamond drivers. I'll get back after I've tried this solution.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried installing each of the the Win 7 and Vista Driver packages on the Diamond Multimedia download page. Only the "VISTA 32, VISTA 64 VER 22" driver package dated 2008-8-5 worked for my Windows 7 64-bit system.

The other packages installed but none of the capture software that I tried recognized the drivers were present. The "WIN® 7 32 DRIVER Version 7" package dated 2010-05-28 apparently only works for Window 7 32-bit. (At least it worked for me a few days ago when I set up my Windows 7 32-bit HTPC.)

If you previously tried one of the other driver downloads, uninstall it by running its installer again and select "uninstall", reboot, and then install the "VISTA 32, VISTA 64 VER 22" driver package
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried installing each of the the Win 7 and Vista Driver packages on the Diamond Multimedia download page. Only the "VISTA 32, VISTA 64 VER 22" driver package dated 2008-8-5 worked for my Windows 7 64-bit system.

The other packages installed but none of the capture software that I tried recognized the drivers were present. The "WIN® 7 32 DRIVER Version 7" package dated 2010-05-28 apparently only works for Window 7 32-bit. (At least it worked for me a few days ago when I set up my Windows 7 32-bit HTPC.)

If you previously tried one of the other driver downloads, uninstall it by running its installer again and select "uninstall", reboot, and then install the "VISTA 32, VISTA 64 VER 22" driver package
    Hi!

I installed the drivers you recommended on both my computers and it actually works with VirtualDub on both Win8 and Win7 (both running 64-bit).

So thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction.

I've connected the ATI 600 USB to my vcr using S-video and it works - I get colour, sound works, the picture is quite stable, although I still have a few issues with the video frame being slightly out of positon, and I'm not sure how to fix it. The problem is that the bottom part of the picture is out of frame (not by much but it is slightly annoying). When I use a bigger fram size the bottom 1/5 or so is filled with another frame.

Secondly there is some interlacing, I tried to apply a deinterlacing filter but I couldn't notice any difference, so I guess I'm doing it the wrong way.

Thirdly, my S-video cable looks quite dated, would I gain anything in terms of quality, reduced interference etc. by getting a new and better s-video cable?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it works, I do it all the time.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3136-ati-600-usb.html
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3070-ati-600-card.html

Were you the same person griping in that first thread? I've not had time yet to respond.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Yes, it works, I do it all the time.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3136-ati-600-usb.html
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3070-ati-600-card.html

Were you the same person griping in that first thread? I've not had time yet to respond.
    Hi lordsmurf!

Are you referring to the the digitalfaq threads above? No, I got my ATI 600 USB the other week and yesterday was the first time I deployed it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM

Hi!

I installed the drivers you recommended on both my computers and it actually works with VirtualDub on both Win8 and Win7 (both running 64-bit).

So thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction.

I've connected the ATI 600 USB to my vcr using S-video and it works - I get colour, sound works, the picture is quite stable, although I still have a few issues with the video frame being slightly out of positon, and I'm not sure how to fix it. The problem is that the bottom part of the picture is out of frame (not by much but it is slightly annoying). When I use a bigger fram size the bottom 1/5 or so is filled with another frame.

Secondly there is some interlacing, I tried to apply a deinterlacing filter but I couldn't notice any difference, so I guess I'm doing it the wrong way.

Thirdly, my S-video cable looks quite dated, would I gain anything in terms of quality, reduced interference etc. by getting a new and better s-video cable?

Thanks in advance.
    I don't use Virtualdub, so I don't know what settings are used to adjust the picture. Someone else will have to help you with this.

Replacing the S-Video cable with a newer one probably won't do anything to improve your captures unless your old cable is damaged or overly long (more than 2 meters).
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!