VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm on this forum since some time but I've never posted anything... I need help with some subs in .idx/.sub format. They have several useless tracks within, how can I edit them and remove the tracks I don't want?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Um, mux them into an MKS, then extract only the one you actually want... That would work, right??
    Quote Quote  
  3. Maybe you didn't understand what I meant... I have these subtitle files, in .idx/.sub format, and each .sub file contains four tracks of subs (English and others), they aren't more files, just one for episode. I want to keep only English, how can I do it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Load the sub into BDSup2Sub and see if you can export just the english version.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, try that. And I did understand what you meant. You have four tracks in one file. Load it into MKVMerge and combine them into one MKS with four tracks, then extract just the English track and you have one idx/sub with just that one track. I thought there must be a better way, and I'm thinking johns0 gave it to you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. VobSubStrip is designed for what you want. Check the one(s) you want to keep.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/VobSubStrip.shtml
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or you could download it from VideoHelp:

http://download.videohelp.com/download/VobSubStrip-011.zip
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Load the sub into BDSup2Sub and see if you can export just the english version.
    OK guys, I appreciate your help, really... but I'm not so skilled with this stuff, so you should guide me, otherwise I don't know how proceeding.

I've loaded the .sub file into the program...

... now what I have to do?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Matteo View Post
    ... now what I have to do?
    You could try VobSubStrip since its use is dead simple.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forget BDSupToSub, as far as I can tell it doesn't let you select from tracks in an idx file and just ignores all the extras. Use vobsubstrip or MKVMerge/MKVExtract (I had to use the MKVExtract command line to CREATE an idx with multiple subtitles in it to experiment on, and I know it can do the reverse as well).

If you use VobSubStrip, the track you choose to strip is the one you want to keep...
    Quote Quote  
  11. OK, how VobSub works? I load the .sub file and then?

As you can see, there are two English tracks and two Spanish's. I want to keep just one English and one Spanish.

What the two options, Render and Unlink, mean?

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting, that's not the program either of us linked to, VobSubStrip is something else. I see now, somehow the link in my last post points to VobSub, which is the wrong program. VobSubStrip is something else. Follow this link:

http://download.videohelp.com/download/VobSubStrip-011.zip

or the one Manono gave. It should be obvious how it works.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why didn't the word VobSubStrip become a link when Manono wrote it? It's not the capitalisation.

(The program doesn't actually have an entry in the videohelp software listings, maybe it's too niche to bother with.)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah,
    Originally Posted by https://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsearch=vobsubstrip&submit=Search&convert =&s=&orderby=Name&hits=50
    More information and other downloads:
    Download latest VSFilter / Directvobsub here.

Download vobsubstrip here, strip out subtitles from a idx/sub file.

Download vobsubmuxer here or mirror link(direct link), join sub/idx languagues.

Download VobSub Shuffle here, Rearrange, strip and merge streams from VobSubs (idx/sub).

Download Vobsub223fix here, submux/subresync should work if you have IE8 installed.
    Now I understand.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thanks, ndjamena, VobSubStrip is perfect.

I'd have another question, but it doesn't concern subtitles... can I ask it here or I have to open a new thread?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Considering some of the crap on this forum I don't think it matters one iota what you do.
    Quote Quote  
  17. OK, I should take some parts from DVD films and then merge them into a single file. Is there a light, maybe also free, software I can use to? Nothing professional (Pinnacle or similar), something simple and intuitive.
    Quote Quote  
  18. DVDshrink in re-author mode; look for guides just above the comments on the download page.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    DVDshrink in re-author mode; look for guides just above the comments on the download page.
    So this my guide -> https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/296328-How-to-cut-out-clips-from-DVDs-and-convert-t...-free-software?

But isn't DVD Shrink too outdated, is it?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    Why didn't the word VobSubStrip become a link when Manono wrote it?
    After posting I checked and the link went to VobSub instead (as does the link in your post above). I checked the 'Disable automatic tool link' box and gave an external link, not knowing it was found here too.

Only now I see there's also a link to VobSubStrip at the VobSub page but as I think it's confusing to have both on the same page (just notice the confusion it caused Matteo), better would be to provide a separate link, I think, as with my external link or your link to the ZIP file.
    Originally Posted by Matteo View Post
    But isn't DVD Shrink too outdated, is it?
    Once the DVD bits have been decrypted to your hard drive, DVDShrink will do what you want correctly. Just because a program is old or hasn't been updated in years doesn't mean it won't work.
    Last edited by manono; 21st Jun 2014 at 15:13.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    After posting I checked and the link went to VobSub instead (as does the link in your post above). I checked the 'Disable automatic tool link' box and gave an external link, not knowing it was found here too.

Only now I see there's also a link to VobSubStrip at the VobSub page but as I think it's confusing to have both on the same page (just notice the confusion it caused Matteo), better would be to provide a separate link, I think, as with my external link or your link to the ZIP file.
    Sorry, but what confusion I did?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Matteo View Post
    Sorry, but what confusion I did?
    Check your post #11. You downloaded and tried to use the wrong program, VobSub instead of VobSubStrip. It was the page that was confusing you because, naturally, you thought following the link would lead you to the right program.
    Quote Quote  
  23. When I come to save the .sub file into .srt...

... can you tell me what those three pointed options mean?
    Quote Quote  
  24. You don't just 'save' VobSubs to an SRT file. An OCR has to be done. Either manually, or automatically with varying degrees of accuracy. SubRip is usually better than VobSub Resynch for a manual method. But there are automatic solutions as well. Someone else will have to advise about the arrows as English is my native language. I don't know if you need Unicode or not. What's your language? You won't need the 'Clear Image' checkbox. Keep the Sensitivity slider where it is unless and until you get letters run together or with spaces where there shouldn't be. Only then adjust it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You don't just 'save' VobSubs to an SRT file. An OCR has to be done. Either manually, or automatically with varying degrees of accuracy. SubRip is usually better than VobSub Resynch for a manual method. But there are automatic solutions as well. Someone else will have to advise about the arrows as English is my native language. I don't know if you need Unicode or not. What's your language? You won't need the 'Clear Image' checkbox. Keep the Sensitivity slider where it is unless and until you get letters run together or with spaces where there shouldn't be. Only then adjust it.
    What would this automatic solutions be?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Subtitle Edit and DVDSubEdit are two. Maybe there are more but I don't know of them.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use DVDSubExtractor, I'm not sure if it's better than the others since I've only used Subtitle Edit to convert Vobsub to srt once and that's about it, but you can try it out.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Let's try Subtitle Edit...

... is there any option I have to know or to enable/disable?
    Quote Quote  
  29. I don't use them. I use SubRip. Why not just push the 'Start OCR' button and try?
    Quote Quote  
  30. OK, I start OCR, type the underlined character in the text slot below, press OK and I get this error.

Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!