VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well like it says im trying to convert a .mkv file with AlltoAVI which is something ive done hundreds of times but for some reason ive started getting an error stating "the command is to long" so i tryed changing the save destination to c:/videos and i still keep getting the same error. Any one else had this problem? id love some input
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does the 'videos' directory exist on the C: drive?

Does the input video have a rather long filename, and/or exist in a directory path that would be rather long? Try copying the .mkv file to the 'videos' directory, and give it a short (possibly 8.3) filename while you're doing that. Then, have AlltoAVI work on that copy of the MKV, and give the output file a short name as well.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey wow it worked!! THANKS ALOT lol that was the quickest fix ive come across you ROCK!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe i spoke to soon it worked fr 1 file at a time and now has started giving me the same error... is there a better tool for convertin .mkvs out there??
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "I'll give you five dollars if you let me throw a rock at you"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, there are a handful of tools available for converting MKVs, depending on how you want to be able to do it (simple, or advanced (the hard way )). Keep in mind, though, I don't know if any of the 'simple' converters handle things like multiple audio streams in an MKV, or subtitle streams.

That said, I would also suggest Xvid4PSP, for starters.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi

I suggest to try "Long Path Tool" program .

before I have problem cannot save file because file path too long. and after I found long path tool and now my problem solved

Thanks

Patrick
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't even need that. Should be able to do with ANY version of Windows using the SUBST command to create a virtual drive. Do your work with the virtual drive ("V:\" for instance) as the path, and once you are done, remove the subst link.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like the author of the "Long Path Tool" is a spammer, and his creation is a scam

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=%22Long+Path+Tool%22&btnG=Google+Search&gbv=1
    Quote Quote